ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 16th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #1
StrangeKnowledge
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2001 EX250

Changed the oil now it shuts off when idle.

So I did a Oil change on the bike after having about about 1k miles on it after buying it from a friend it now has about 12k on it. The previous owner said that an oil change and brake job were going to be in order soon. So i changed the oil according to the guide in the book used the T6 full synthetic and a K&N filter. Before the oil change it would idle just fine, now when it's in neutral or clutched it want's to shut off if I do not keep the RPM's up. I guessing it needs a major carb cleaning or rebuild but it's so close to winter storage I don't want to mess with that yet. Any thoughts?

Last futzed with by StrangeKnowledge; October 17th, 2014 at 05:34 AM.
StrangeKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2014, 08:56 PM   #2
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Did it run fine before you did the oil change.?> it is highly improbable that the oil change effected the idle characteristics. Maybe you did something when you put the new air filter in?> Was the old filter particularly clogged? are you certain you installed the air filter properly and replaced all the components?> If there is an air leak that can effect how it runs.

How old was the fuel in it? you have a 2001 ninja with only 1000 miles?
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #3
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
My first oil change I kept the fuel petcock on off and didn't know why it wouldn't start haha. It's probably nothing that dumb, but worth bringing up, anyway.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #4
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
My first oil change I kept the fuel petcock on off and didn't know why it wouldn't start haha. It's probably nothing that dumb, but worth bringing up, anyway.
Check the obvious and simple stuff first !

lol its the obvious that you skip to easy.
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2014, 05:34 AM   #5
StrangeKnowledge
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
Did it run fine before you did the oil change.?> it is highly improbable that the oil change effected the idle characteristics. Maybe you did something when you put the new air filter in?> Was the old filter particularly clogged? are you certain you installed the air filter properly and replaced all the components?> If there is an air leak that can effect how it runs.

How old was the fuel in it? you have a 2001 ninja with only 1000 miles?
The bike has more than 1k miles on, I put 1k miles on it after buying it it's at around 12k right now. The Air filter had been changed before I bought it so I did not change that just the oil, it ran fine before the oil change. Also I'm sure the petcock is fine and it's got fresh fuel in it.

Old October 17th, 2014, 06:37 AM   #6
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
As already noted, it would be extremely odd for an oil change to have any affect on the idle speed.

Is the issue with the engine fully hot? What speed does it idle at? It should be idling at 1300 when it's fully hot. You could open the float bowls and catch the gas to see what it looks like. There may be a carb cleaning in your future. If the carbs have been off, the caps covering the idle mixture screws may have been removed. If that's the case, you should check their setting. A good baseline is 2 1/2 turns out, which is richer than the factory setting.

How does it ride? Does it accelerate cleanly all the way up, and just have a problem at idle?

For now, if it's not far off, I would adjust the idle mixture screws (if you can) and set the hot idle speed to 1300.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2014, 08:49 AM   #7
StrangeKnowledge
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
As already noted, it would be extremely odd for an oil change to have any affect on the idle speed.

Is the issue with the engine fully hot? What speed does it idle at? It should be idling at 1300 when it's fully hot. You could open the float bowls and catch the gas to see what it looks like. There may be a carb cleaning in your future. If the carbs have been off, the caps covering the idle mixture screws may have been removed. If that's the case, you should check their setting. A good baseline is 2 1/2 turns out, which is richer than the factory setting.

How does it ride? Does it accelerate cleanly all the way up, and just have a problem at idle?

For now, if it's not far off, I would adjust the idle mixture screws (if you can) and set the hot idle speed to 1300.
Yeah it will do it even if it's hot, I can do 20 minutes on the freeway and come to a stop in neutral and it will idle down and die. It won't idle at all, just dies if i'm not reving it a bit. Still accelerates clean and with no issues.

Old October 17th, 2014, 08:56 AM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeKnowledge View Post
So i changed the oil according to the guide in the book used the T6 full synthetic and a K&N filter.
t6 in what weight? it comes in lots of different weights

Old October 17th, 2014, 09:29 AM   #9
zhuuka
Turtle Dancer

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 SE

I was dolt when I had my bike for the first week. Have you played around with the idle screw at all? Mine was just a wee bit too low and it would cut out on me.

Videos!
Twitterthingermajigger
zhuuka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2014, 10:07 AM   #10
StrangeKnowledge
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
t6 in what weight? it comes in lots of different weights
5W-40

Old October 17th, 2014, 02:13 PM   #11
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeKnowledge View Post
So I did a Oil change on the bike after having about about 1k miles on it after buying it from a friend it now has about 12k on it. The previous owner said that an oil change and brake job were going to be in order soon. So i changed the oil according to the guide in the book used the T6 full synthetic and a K&N filter. Before the oil change it would idle just fine, now when it's in neutral or clutched it want's to shut off if I do not keep the RPM's up. I guessing it needs a major carb cleaning or rebuild but it's so close to winter storage I don't want to mess with that yet. Any thoughts?
After yesterday Tell me I'm not reading this .

Anyways my first thought is how much oil did you put in? Too much would bog the engine, close to what they call "hydraulic lock" where there is not enough airspace under the pistons, that would stop it idling easily.
This engine doesn't take a lot of oil. Only 1.5 liters without a filter change or 1.9 liters with a new filter
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #12
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
I like Zhuuka's idea about tweaking the idle speed.

Leaving the oil fill cap off could keep it from idling well, too.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote