ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #1
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

To the commuters

I find that the time I spend getting geared up for my morning commute and the ride in to equal the amount of time I would spend on the road if I just grabbed my keys and took the cage. Of course, this is subjective to any abnormal traffic conditions. I do get to save on gas though . How about you? Do you find it comes out to be the same?

The other thing is that I don't have much motivation to ride the bike on weekends. After 5 days of it, I tend to just take the cage to get lunch or whatnot on the weekends. Getting geared up for a 10 minute put around town isn't all that exciting. Do you guys still have the drive to be on the bike after 5 days of commuting?

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #2
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

I dont ride my bike to work every day becuz of my job i need to carry tools and stuff, Last week however i did ride everyday and this weekend was one of my longest rides. I find that riding to work isnt enjoyable due to the number of cages and my ride to work is basically 2 turns otherwise its just straight. I dont ride the bike on the weekends if i need to just run to the store or something becuz thats the cages job. If its a nice day out i will go up into the twisties to ACTUALLY enjoy riding. To sum it all up during the week on the bike i feel like an adult on the weekends its like being a kid again

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #3
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Actually yes. For the last year my bike has been my only mode of transportation by choice. I have no issues with putting my gear on for a quick jaunt to the store or to commute to work. It's not about saving time it's about it being more enjoyable (at least to me anyway). And on the weekends I would still love to go out and just "chill" on the bike and see what's around me.

Of course since my bike got damaged and such I've been using my car (that I got back just shortly before that incident). But once the bike is back to tip top shape the car will be used only when I need the space. I am MUCH more at ease and feel a nice peaceful calm when I ride my bike. When I see the same stupid driving on my bike as I do in my car, I'm able to calm down and forget about it easier on the bike.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
getting gear on used to take me a while... now it's much quicker... since i no longer drive a car my boots basically always stay on. i don't bother changing out of kevlar reinforced jeans (although i need more pairs of them, sometimes i wear normal heavy jeans). the leather jacket always has my phone and wallet in it and takes only a few seconds to throw on and zip up. i put on my helmet and gloves as i walk to the bike... seems like now that i'm accustomed to the gear it takes about the same time as a car (well, backing up in a car isn't as easy as simply driving away in the bikes... i park the bikes sideways so i never have to back out)

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

The roads around Toronto are pretty crappy and you'd have to ride out at least 2 hours in any direction in order to get to anything decent. That includes fighting traffic. I typically just use the motorcycle as a mode of transport, going to and from work on the weekdays, but also going to and from events and whatever on the weekends. The only time I'll go out on a purely recreational ride is if I'm trying to shake down the bike after some repairs, if it's a holiday and most people are out of the city or stay home, or in the middle of the night when everyone's asleep.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #6
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

I wear overpants in addition to the rest of my gear. Not that it takes that much longer to put on, but it still takes me 10-15 minutes to get my gear, gloves, and helmet on.

On weekends, I'm a home body. I do chores, work on my bike or projects, and hang out with my wife. I'm also the type that I hate riding aimlessly. I only go if there's somewhere I need to go. My first real ride will be in August. I just need an objective. I'm not the type to go hang out at starbucks to people watch.

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #7
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

All you need to do is find a starbucks or up here in canada the one and only Tim Hortons lol that is about an hour or so away go there have a coffee and go home. It will give u a destination and a reason to go for a ride, just find a coffee shop thats a nice distance away and then go for a ride

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #8
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

That's not enough for me though. I don't like coffee and find little enjoyment in sitting at starbucks unless I'm there with friends. When my wife and I go, we get our drinks and leave. The other thing is that out here in CA, I'm always on the freeway, so there's no enjoyment for riding. I'm not really asking for suggestions on finding motivation. Just seeing if there's anyone else like me

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #9
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

i don't bother wearing overpants to work unless it's cold. I ride about 30 min to work, so for the minute or 2 it takes to throw on my jacket, boots, helmet and gloves it's worth it.
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #10
Vampyre
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Black, 2005 ZX-6R Blue

I'll admit I wear normal jeans for my commuting. I ride 7mi to work twice a day (get an hour lunch so I come home and let out the dogs). It only take me about 1min to put on my helmet, jacket, and gloves. I wear my riding boots all the time, but they are velcro and straps so they come on and off pretty easily as well. Even though most of my commute is at 35 the road has some nice turns that I can get some nice lean in each way.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #11
kcaja1
ninjette.org member

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R

I have two personal cars and I'm selling one of them due to the fact that I feel guilty that I leave two nice cars ('08 VW GTI and '09 Porsche Cayenne) in the garage when I use my motorcycle to commute. It also take me less than 10 min to have gear on/off but living in DC area has its own motorcycle benefits. Motorcyclists can hop on HOV (carpool) lane so my time for gear on/off are compensated. I just don't ride when it's 85 and above.
kcaja1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #12
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

My commute is about 20 miles round trip on country roads, as long as the weather cooperates. It takes me about 5 mins to throw on my overpants, jacket, helmet, gloves and backpack. Other than wrinkling the hell our of my dress clothes, it's no real issue.

I have to admit though, the 2 mile jaunt to the store on the weekend is usually sans jacket and overpants.

Old July 11th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #13
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Tri, a great motivator for riding on the weekends is getting involved in a group ride. I like to get involved in charity bike rides where all kinds of bikes are welcome. This last weekend I rode in a group ride for Shriners Childrens Hospital. We had 60 people on 44 bikes and we rode a total of 124 miles.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #14
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

I find my gear takes all of 3-5 minutes extra to put on, but I save that time in parking in the city(I have a nice spot next to my house for the bike), so I have no problem using my bike for work commutes, plus it's just so much more fun

Not to mention my car is just plain ugly and SLOW, and since it's an automatic it literally bores me to death :/
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #15
Lew360
Bueller

Name: Lewis

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R

I also live int the D.C. area and commute whenever possible. The HOV saves me sometime, but my real reason is that I can park the bike FREE, it would cost me at least $9 to park my Jeep. The metro would cost at least $12 because of the peak of the peak fee. The other reason is gas milage. The Jeep might get 18mpg if I'm really lucky.
Lew360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #16
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 two-fiddy (red)

Takes a tad longer to get ready to go but i also get around quicker on my bike than my truck. Not that i speed or anything. You can just zip around town quicker on the bike. Also, i got to a point where i just put all my stuff (wallet, cell phone, etc.) in a backpack and take it everywhere. So whether i'm taking the truck or bike, i just grab my backback and go.

*** Side Note: I have to admit, i just wear jeans when commuting to work, and a lot of times i don't even wear my jacket and gloves. The Georgia Heat is just too much and i go to the gym after work. There is no way in hell i could wear all my gear after 2 hours of mma.

And i have noticed that i'm not as amped to go joyriding on the weekends after commuting on it all week. Not a big deal though b/c i don't get too many chances to ride on the weekends with a 3 year old son. Occasionally me and the old lady get get a chance for a date night and we take the bike and thats pretty fun though.
Ninja Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #17
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Assassin View Post
Takes a tad longer to get ready to go but i also get around quicker on my bike than my truck. Not that i speed or anything. You can just zip around town quicker on the bike. Also, i got to a point where i just put all my stuff (wallet, cell phone, etc.) in a backpack and take it everywhere. So whether i'm taking the truck or bike, i just grab my backback and go.

*** Side Note: I have to admit, i just wear jeans when commuting to work, and a lot of times i don't even wear my jacket and gloves. The Georgia Heat is just too much and i go to the gym after work. There is no way in hell i could wear all my gear after 2 hours of mma.

And i have noticed that i'm not as amped to go joyriding on the weekends after commuting on it all week. Not a big deal though b/c i don't get too many chances to ride on the weekends with a 3 year old son. Occasionally me and the old lady get get a chance for a date night and we take the bike and thats pretty fun though.
Hi Jeremy, are you wearing mesh gear and it's still too hot?

Old July 11th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #18
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

Yep, got a mesh jacket for summer and a leather for colder weather. But even with the mesh i'll be soaking wet with sweat even on my morning commute. The afternoon, is just unbearable though. On day's i'm not hitting the gym i'll usually wear it but after leaving the gym i'd literally pass out most likely.

Old July 11th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #19
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Wow, so do you wear strap on armor or just squid it?

Old July 11th, 2011, 12:10 PM   #20
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

Yep, i can't lie. I'll often times just squid it.

If i'm not in gear it will generally be something along the lines of jeans, boots, polo or t-shirt... And obviously a helmet.

Like i said, i try to wear my gear but sometimes its just not possible. And i know nobody on here is going to agree with this but the way i see it is if i'm wrecking my bike it's like going to be b/c some goober pulls out in front of me. If this is the case roadrash is the least of my worries (which that is generally all that extra gear is going to help, other than a little cushion around certain areas) . If i smash into a car, i'm screwed either way. If i swerve to miss the car i'm likely to hit some type of obstruction on the side of the road that is going to ruin my day too.

Now if i'm really out riding hard and hitting twisties etc. then i don't leave the house without the gear. But my commute to work is a straight shot for about 20 miles.

Old July 11th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #21
shiroganeshinobi
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Tri, a great motivator for riding on the weekends is getting involved in a group ride.
This definitely this. Commuting is a solo activity but if you ride with other people, it's more enjoyable. I wear AGATT leathers. It's about 10-15min to get all my gear and warm up the bike.

It's like the weekend bike warriors. Cage 5 days a week, ride on the weekends. Except with us commuters, it's ride 5 days a week, cage on the weekends.
shiroganeshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #22
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Quote:

If i'm not in gear it will generally be something along the lines of jeans, boots, polo or t-shirt... And obviously a helmet.

Like i said, i try to wear my gear but sometimes its just not possible. And i know nobody on here is going to agree with this but the way i see it is if i'm wrecking my bike it's like going to be b/c some goober pulls out in front of me. If this is the case roadrash is the least of my worries (which that is generally all that extra gear is going to help, other than a little cushion around certain areas) . If i smash into a car, i'm screwed either way. If i swerve to miss the car i'm likely to hit some type of obstruction on the side of the road that is going to ruin my day too.

Now if i'm really out riding hard and hitting twisties etc. then i don't leave the house without the gear. But my commute to work is a straight shot for about 20 miles.
Anything can happen at any time, Today i was sitting infront of Mcdonalds eatting sum lunch and i watched this lady drive straight into the back of another car sitting in the drive through about 10 feet infront of her car, So there is NO way in hell that she didnt see him it could have been as simple as hitting the gas and break at the same time. Wear what you want bro everyone here is an adult and no one should be giving u a hard time about not wearing gear, it really is no one elses buisness. People r just looking out for ur best interests and NOBODY wants to see another rider get hurt. Ride safe and keep the shiny side up

Old July 11th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #23
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
Anything can happen at any time, Today i was sitting infront of Mcdonalds eatting sum lunch and i watched this lady drive straight into the back of another car sitting in the drive through about 10 feet infront of her car, So there is NO way in hell that she didnt see him it could have been as simple as hitting the gas and break at the same time. Wear what you want bro everyone here is an adult and no one should be giving u a hard time about not wearing gear, it really is no one elses buisness. People r just looking out for ur best interests and NOBODY wants to see another rider get hurt. Ride safe and keep the shiny side up
Exactly. Wear what you want, but consider this: it only takes one time for you to end up dead or in a wheel chair for the rest of your life. Latest bad crash I read about was where an SUV pulled out in front of a rider. He's now almost fully disabled from the neck down. Can you imagine not being able to hold your 3 year old son for the rest of your life? Ride safe bro.

Old July 11th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #24
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

I went "motorcycle only" over a year ago. I dont even have a car. Rain or shine, I ride when I need to. Whether its going to get groceries, or riding 200 miles for fun, or just visiting friends. I dont think I could ever get tired of riding. I usually at least get on it once a day to go someplace.

Georgia summers are sometimes unbearable even in ventilated or mesh gear for long distances. Heat gets well over the 100's occasionally with high humidity, and it gets to a point where you risk more from heat stroke/exhaustion/dehydration then you do from squiding out. There was a lady here about a week ago that died commuting up I75. She passed out from the heat, and ran off the road. She was wearing full ventilated gear.

Ive had heat exhaustion and severe dehydration before, and spent 2 nights in ER getting IV bag after IV bag. Its cumulative too, so it gets easier for it to happen to you the more times you do it. For those of us in the hotter climates you really have to carefully weigh your options.

There are times when the risk of heat is higher than the risk of road rash here. I always wear as much protection as possible.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #25
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

"Exactly. Wear what you want, but consider this: it only takes one time for you to end up dead or in a wheel chair for the rest of your life. Latest bad crash I read about was where an SUV pulled out in front of a rider. He's now almost fully disabled from the neck down. Can you imagine not being able to hold your 3 year old son for the rest of your life? Ride safe bro. "

I understand your point. Like i said in an earlier post, i try to always wear my gear.

But i just wanted to add that you made my point. If an SUV pulls out in front of me, a jacket and gloves aren't saving me from crap. If i hit the SUV i'm screwed no matter what i'm wearing. The gloves may save a broken finger or but if the impacts enough, it doesn't matter. It'll definatly save road rash but you get my point...i hope. A jacket and pants will greatly reduce road rash as well, but again, Maybe the elboy pads will prevent me breaking my elbow, but most likely if the impact is that hard i'm breaking something anyways.

But like Bryan says (whos in the ATL too) sometimes in our neck of the woods it truely does get so hot that you're risking a friggin heatstroke by wearing even mesh gear. Thats why i said i mostly wear it, unless i'm going ot the gym, b/c after 2 hours of mma my body is truly exhasuted and severely dehydrated.

*Didn't mean to derail the thread and get on a wear your gear rant.

Old July 11th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #26
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
"Exactly. Wear what you want, but consider this: it only takes one time for you to end up dead or in a wheel chair for the rest of your life. Latest bad crash I read about was where an SUV pulled out in front of a rider. He's now almost fully disabled from the neck down. Can you imagine not being able to hold your 3 year old son for the rest of your life? Ride safe bro. "

I understand your point. Like i said in an earlier post, i try to always wear my gear.

But i just wanted to add that you made my point. If an SUV pulls out in front of me, a jacket and gloves aren't saving me from crap. If i hit the SUV i'm screwed no matter what i'm wearing. The gloves may save a broken finger or but if the impacts enough, it doesn't matter. It'll definatly save road rash but you get my point...i hope. A jacket and pants will greatly reduce road rash as well, but again, Maybe the elboy pads will prevent me breaking my elbow, but most likely if the impact is that hard i'm breaking something anyways.

But like Bryan says (whos in the ATL too) sometimes in our neck of the woods it truely does get so hot that you're risking a friggin heatstroke by wearing even mesh gear. Thats why i said i mostly wear it, unless i'm going ot the gym, b/c after 2 hours of mma my body is truly exhasuted and severely dehydrated.

I understand. Have you at least considered spine protection? I know you're not too concerned about road rash, but spine protection is important to me.

Old July 11th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #27
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I have a 107 mile commute to work each shift, most highway. I wear my jacket, over-pants, helmet, boots and gloves. Being on the highway at highway speeds for nearly 2 hours, I want to wear all the gear, regardless if it takes a little bit longer.

If I'm going a quarter mile to the Taco Bell or something, I just wear my helmet, jacket and boots. Sure, most accidents happen within 2 miles of your home, but it's a risk I take to not wear the over-pants.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #28
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Your best point is "Thats why i said i mostly wear it unless i'm going ot the gym, b/c after 2 hours of mma my body is truly exhasuted and severely dehydrated." You better than anyone else knows what your body can take and what your limits are. If you risk getting into an accident due to heatstroke you are better off IMO wearing less gear that keeps you well ventilated giving u more focus on your riding and your surroundings. Being able to see something in that split second well being focused on the ride could save your life just as well as the protective gear, if your thinking "holy s*it its hot out here, i need a drink" then u probably would not see the same things as when your comfortable in your riding gear. Thats just my

Old July 11th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #29
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

My longest commute to work or class is about 4 miles tops. Sometimes I end up making it a 30mile trip, but that's the beside the point.

It only takes 2-3 minutes for me to gear up for commuting:
over pants
jacket
gloves
boots
helmet

What really takes the most time is my bike lock. I have to unlock it, go walk back into my apartment and put it away and head back out to the bike to ride. When I get home I have to do the same thing as well.

Non-commutes take much longer to gear up. Ever put on a 1 piece suit before?
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #30
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I ride to work often. Or I did. This year my little girl will be in middle school and she'll be going to the one I work at, so it's back to the car for a bit. At least until we get her some street gear and then maybe we can ride in on the wife's TU once a week.

It typically took me five minutes to gear up for a nine mile ride. Light traffic, no interstate, decently twisty roads even at commuter speeds. The ride home was even better, as I often took a "detour". As you would imagine, I didn't actually save any gas.

Regarding riding on weekends: We all ride for different reasons. I am personally all about the journey. I don't need a reason to ride, other than for the ride itself. I have many weekends put on 150-200 miles simply riding around back roads. By myself no less and regardless of whether or not I rode in all week to work. I know other people who ride "for the destination". My best friend has a Bonnie that he has put maybe 4,000 miles on in almost four years. He prefers to be going somewhere and he loves how many people strike up a conversation about his bike.

Regarding gear: Wear what you want. Just know the consequences. And yes, if you get smashed between two cars, unless your gear is an Iron Man suit, you are probably screwed anyway.

Regarding heat: Ventilation is not enough. In fact too much ventilation can cause dehydration and that is the real problem. I live about 35 miles northwest of Atlanta. I wear my gear all the time. Yes, it does get hot, especially sitting in traffic. However, the heat itself was never an issue, because I was never dehydrated. Keep that in mind. If you disagree, then you more than likely have the wrong gear or you are not drinking enough water.

Regarding the "Well, if I hit that hard, I'll break something anyway" attitude: Maybe you will, maybe you won't. But I can almost guarantee that if you don't wear any gear and you do go down, then you will more than likely be more hurt than had you worn the gear. Again, I don't care whether anyone wears gear or not, but seriously how many people could you find who would willingly go outside and jump into the air and then land on their knees without knee pads? What about with knee pads?

Old July 11th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #31
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

There are tricks that i use to allow me to at least wear a jacket on most hot days.

Go get a underarmor shirt. soak it down in water, and then wring it out so that its damp, but not dripping. Put it on, then put on a jacket over it. It works best with textile jackets. Open up your vents, and take off.

Ive found that this is better than airconditioning. Depending on how much water you use, and how ventilated your jacket is, this cooling effect can last for around 20min or so at interstate speeds before the water completely evaporates.

Also, if you are getting a little too hot, pulling off the road at a gas station and doing this will help you recover while allowing you to still ride.

Even this tactic wont work on some trips/days. Its better than nothing, but on really hot days (103+), it evaporates too quickly to make a difference. I wouldnt recommend doing this unless its at least 80deg outside. Below 80, and you will freeze your butt off.

Also, bear in mind that its not just dehydration...you can be properly hydrated, and still suffer heat exhaustion/stroke. Drinking plenty of liquids definitely helps, but isnt a cure all. You have to maintain both your fluids and temperture.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #32
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

I hate having to cage it in, with traffic I spend half my ride-in lane splitting on the freeway. Plus I tend to go with just helmet and jacket unless it is cold then I toss on the gloves. If I am just running to the corner I go for the cage or super squid mode, helmet only. The traffic meters alone around here at peak rush hour make up the time to full gear alone so the bike is always my first choice.

(off topic) As for the ATGATT I know I should but it runs about 95 to 105 here in summer and even the mesh jacket is a oven. Also I am just lazy, there is no place to store/carry the gear during the day is my main problem with it. luckly for me with all the traffic I wont get much road rash just a short slide and wedged under a tire or hot exhaust.
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #33
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Commute: 22 miles one way. Bike every day possible, but I don't ride in the rain. Ride on weekends if family commitments don't interfere. Sometimes different bikes for week and weekend and other times the same. The commute and the weekend ride are compartmentalized as distinct things in my mind. I change from full power ranger to work clothes twice a day and then change to putter around house clothes at home. Right tools for the job at hand.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #34
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Jeremy, I ride to go work out, and I ride back. hitting a car naked is absolutely not the same as hitting a car geared up. especially that long slide on the asphalt after you hit the car and pull a superman away from it. if you value your skin, you will man up and bring a towel and put on some real protection for your ride home. not to be a negative nancy, but it's extremely foolish to think you won't be involved in an accident with another vehicle with the way people drive. I know how it is riding in leathers in hot weather, but like they say, i'd rather sweat than bleed. if you're worried about how you smell bring deodorant and body spray and a towel. My bikes are my only transport and my leathers are non-perf. the temps frequently get above 100F here but i still always wear them. if you value your relationship with your son you might consider doing everything you can to keep it.

don't ride naked.

Old July 11th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #35
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

remember people ALWAYS wear your helmet gloves and boots! no matter what ! Dont ride naked
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #36
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

That just can not be comfy.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #37
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

I commute daily to/from work, all I have is MGATT (mesh jacket/gloves) so far and I put both on every ride. However, when it's 90+ w heat index over 100+ (like today). I take the interstate home, where as I normally never get on one of those

I try to ride every weekend too.. The gear is never my issue, I can never think of where to go, and I am not one of those solo roamers, that bores me too fast. (Although riding the bike is fun, I am just one of those ppl that need a destination )

Also I do plan on getting a 2 piece full leather suit, or weekends and maybe some form of over-clothes 1 piece (however most of those I seen look terrible on) for commute days.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #38
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidtoon View Post

remember people ALWAYS wear your helmet gloves and boots! no matter what ! Dont ride naked
hey if you're alright with losing your skin, muscles, or life, go for it. you should check out the 'gear for girlfriend' thread... there's a link to the svrider forum with some great photos. honestly though, to think you won't be involved in an accident is denial.

Old July 11th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #39
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidtoon View Post

I hope he's wearing a ton of sunscreen. Cuz that's gonna HURT tomorrow.

Old July 11th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #40
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Yes there is a way. I wear mine after sweating it out in the gym, and I live in Ga. Personal choice of course, and I respect that 100%. Just wanted you to know there IS actually a "way in hell" it can be done.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote