ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 11th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #1
mms1361
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Manny

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Switching to a 650cc? good idea

Well ive been riding the (09)ninja 250r for less than a month (new rider). I have put about 550miles on the bike so far. Im 5 11 185lbs and mainly use it to commute to work on the highway. Its about a 20-25minute drive to work everyday and i cant help but feel that the bike is basically pushing itself too hard. Its even worse when its a bit windy. I would just like some opinions as to wether or not i should stay riding longer before switching over. Im looking to get a sv650 if anything.
mms1361 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #2
nakedhunter
ninjette.org member

Name: Naked

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (RED)

Other than highway, it sounds just like my situation... I have decided to get to work an extra 5 minutes later and take artery roads rather than highway - other than that I would vote to stay with 250 if you are just commuting and having the occasional fun ride. Better gas mileage for commuting, less insurance costs, and mine hits 85 on the highway with no problem with me @ about 200lbs but I don't like the other drivers in the dark.
I started off with a 500 when I was younger, moved to a 600 and I am sticking with a 250 as I feel safer handling it.
nakedhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #3
warlord
ninjette.org guru

Name: war

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ducati Panigale 899

The engine is designed to run to a redline of 13,000 rpm so the bike is perfectly fine running 9-10,000 rpm @ 80mph down the highway. As for being blown all over the road, the ninja 250r has a curb weight of 374.9 lbs where the SV650 has a curb weight of 386-430 lbs depending on trim. So if you're getting blown all over the road on the 250r, it's not going to be much better on a SV650. The 250r is not as light as a lot of people make them out to be.

I'm 5'10" 180 Lbs and I ride 45 minutes to work and the ninjette has no problems handling the trip. I've got 447 mi. as of now and while my ego says I need a ZX-6R I know that the 250r is a perfect fit for my needs.

It sounds to me like you're just looking for someone to validate your want for a SV650. You don't need one, but from my understanding they are pretty tame bikes. Still, I'd put more miles under my belt before moving from the bike you have to the bike you want.
warlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #4
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

My advice is stick with the 250 for a while.

I can understand where you are coming from with that feeling of pushing the 250 on the highway but it is fine at highway speeds for hours on end.

If you want to lower the rpm's a bit and have a bit longer gears you could try a 15 tooth front sprocket... I run 15/42 gearing and 65mph is like 6400rpm... very smooth and at $15 that's a lot cheaper than buying a 650.

slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #5
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

manny,

no disrespect intended, but you haven't ridden enough. we're about the same size (5 10", 185 here) - i commute 40 miles roundtrip everyday and it's 99.9% highway - been doing this for over a year. before getting my 250 i had never ridden before. shim your needles, pull your snorkel, get a 15 tooth front sprocket, and your ninja will be happy doing 75 mph at 8k RPM ALL FREAKIN DAY. you should average somewhere between 50-55 mpg too regarding wind and such: my commute takes me over tall bridges everyday, yes the wind is an issue sometimes, but you learn to anticipate and just ride through it. best thing you can do when a gust catches you is relax and let the bike do it's thing. this is something you will learn with MORE EXPERIENCE.

you may find this helpful:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11498

in the end it's your call, just thought i'd share some insight seeing as it sounds as if you're planning to use your bike in the same manner as i use mine.

want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #6
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I pretty much second what others have already said: get a sprocket, do a reasonable amount of tuning, and get more experience.

I am 270 and had no problems maintaining 80 mph for as long as an hour at a time. I know the bike would have gone longer, I just never needed to sustain travel at that speed for more than about an hour.

50+ mpg, great handling, and if you're under about 200 lbs, sprightly acceleration. I just recently traded up to a ZX-6R, but my plan was to always move up to a supersport, and the ZX honestly kinda fell into my lap and with my current finances, it was better to finance the new (to me) ZX. I absolutely loved the 250 for the time I had it.

I would also add that an SV is going to be torquey on the low-end, exactly where you are used to the 250 being a bit sluggish. That SV could put you on your rear unintentionally, and do so faster than a supersport that you were careful on the throttle with.

And no, that was not me endorsing a SS. Unless those 500 or so miles were all track days with a trained instructor who told you to stop wasting time and to get into racing.

Old April 11th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #7
mms1361
ninjette.org newbie

[Ok im noobed/confused] from what i know the bike has a full exhaust, k&n, and it has been jetted. I will definetley try changing to the 15 sprocket at home, seems pretty straight forward to change after reading a DIY here. I can even learn more about my bike and inspect it more. Does having the above mods mean i need to a different tooth setup? Do i need to change the rear sprocket if im doing the front?

Old April 11th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #8
bettysmith
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ex250 (Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mms1361 View Post
[Ok im noobed/confused] from what i know the bike has a full exhaust, k&n, and it has been jetted. I will definetley try changing to the 15 sprocket at home, seems pretty straight forward to change after reading a DIY here. I can even learn more about my bike and inspect it more. Does having the above mods mean i need to a different tooth setup? Do i need to change the rear sprocket if im doing the front?
I'm not bike guru, let alone own a bike yet, but this is what I've gathered.

You only need to replace one of the sprockets, either one of your choosing (front / rear).

The mods you have do not require a sprocket, however it seems your commuting does.
bettysmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #9
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

if you want a 650, get a 650

just be warned there is a chance you might drop it due to lack of experience
take into consideration gas mileage, especially with how gas prices are right now, at least in cali

i went from 55 mpg on the 250r to 34 mpg on a 636
really missing the 250 right now
i do a 65 mile commute to school, 130 mile round trip
i have to fill up the 636 every single day
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #10
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

I think if you give up on the lil Ninja you'll be missing out on a great chance to learn how to ride a motorcycle...

Good luck with your new bike, and be safe...
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #11
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

I love this forum! The diversity in answers is just awesome. Different point of views means more food for thought, which is a good thing.

Getting a larger bike will be fine as long as you ride within your means. You can learn on a bigger bike the same way as on a 250. It just won't be as forgiving as the 250. If you are just commuting, keep the 250. No other bike gets that kind of gas mileage, except Honda or a scooter.

And if you biggest concern is pushing the bike hard, I can tell you that's the last thing you have to worry about. I red-lined my 250 for at least 30 minutes in 6th gear in Florida with the temp around 90 degrees (yes I didn't know any better). The bike had no problems with it. Unless you just don't like the high revs, don't worry about pushing it. It will be fine.

Sounds like you have some soul searching to do. Good luck with it. And whatever answer you come up with is the right one.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #12
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Wear better earplugs and you wont even hear the engine at 75-80mph on the freeway. Wind noise is all you'll be listening to at those speeds.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #13
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

As said if you want a 650 buy a 650 but don’t buy it for the reason that you think the little Ninja is not capable a sustained speed. I changed to a GSX 650F because on my commute I have a lot of very traffic and changing up and down the box (not the best box in the world) on the 250 became annoying. The 650 has a lot more low down torque so unless I have to stop I just stay in second, this gives me almost zero to 70mph without changing gear.

Steve

Old April 12th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #14
mms1361
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for your varied opinions, like I said im a new rider so I still have lots to learn. I am going to just go ahead and add a 15t sprocket to try and reduce the rpms a bit in the highway. In the city everything works fine. As lots of people commented, the 250r can handle the high rpm's. That being said im just going to plant my foot in the 250 for another couple months, try to customize it to my needs, and then re-evaluate getting a bigger bike.

Old April 12th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #15
kkim

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Why_spo...beginner_bikes
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 06:44 AM   #16
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex500, 2010 Ninja 250r, 2004 zzr600, 2003 CBR600rr, 2013 Ninja 300...in that order :D

i just got a zzr600 and i love it. i personally have not had a chance to ride a 650r yet, but i would believe it's a big difference. I put 7600 miles on my Ninjette before i grabbed my zzr, and i'm sure glad I did. I got a decent amount of experience on my hands and encountered some sticky situations that I don't think would've been too pretty had I been on a bigger bike.

Personally, I'd recommend staying w/the 250 for a while. Just my
ricochet08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #17
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Quote:
Well ive been riding the (09)ninja 250r for less than a month (new rider). I have put about 550miles on the bike so far. Im 5 11 185lbs and mainly use it to commute to work on the highway. Its about a 20-25minute drive to work everyday and i cant help but feel that the bike is basically pushing itself too hard. Its even worse when its a bit windy. I would just like some opinions as to wether or not i should stay riding longer before switching over. Im looking to get a sv650 if anything.
Manny,

My personal opinion is that you should keep the 250 for a while longer - till you have about 3000-5000K miles under your belt. At that point, you should be pretty proficient with motorcycle basics. Then you should consider going up to the 650.

The 250 is adequate for what you want it to do, but thats just it - adequate. Many here swear its fine for the highway, but I suspect alot of these people are East Coast riders who dont generally go faster than 70-80mph on their commutes. Out west, traffic tends to cruise at 80-90+ and at this speed, the 250 is maxed out in terms of accelaration. Sure, you can stick to the right lanes and be OK, but you cannot comfortable navigate traffice on a 4 lane highway at those speeds.

Ive never ridden a 650. But I have ridden a 600 on a number of different occasions. Believe it or not, at tame RPMs, like under 6K, the 600 is very smooth and easy going. You can cruise very easily at 80mph and be just a small twist of the throttle away from a deep reservoir of power and acceleration should you need it. I imagine the 650 would be even more responsive at lower RPMs because it is a V-twin with more torque but wouldnt have the 'rocket blasting off' feel that an inline 4 has when you wring the throttle.

Anyway, the point of my rambling is, keep riding the 250 for another few months, get all your rookie mistakes out of the way on it, and by the time you have a few thousand miles under your belt, you'll be in a better position to judge if you want to move up or not. Also, keep an eye out for demo ride days at your local dealers, it might be a good opportunity to ride a Ninja 650 or an SV.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #18
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too40gawlf View Post
The 250 is adequate for what you want it to do, but thats just it - adequate. Many here swear its fine for the highway, but I suspect alot of these people are East Coast riders who dont generally go faster than 70-80mph on their commutes. Out west, traffic tends to cruise at 80-90+ and at this speed, the 250 is maxed out in terms of accelaration. Sure, you can stick to the right lanes and be OK, but you cannot comfortable navigate traffice on a 4 lane highway at those speeds.
Not sure which western state you're referring to, but no one cruises at 80 here, especially in traffic. CHP is much less forgiving these days. Most of my commute is done at 65 or less. Please don't give advice like this. Comfort levels will vary from person to person. My bike is perfectly capable of keeping up with traffic, especially now with my 15T/43T combo. It's much tamer as well.

Manny, I know how you feel. With the stock gearing, the ninja just feels like it's making a lot of effort to go 65+. Especially when you calibrate your speed and see how much slower you're actually going. My bike has a 10% difference, so when I thought I was going 65, I was actually doing 58. Change your sprockets to a 15/43 and I think you'll be happy. The 15 does help drop the RPM's, but it's a huge difference with the 43. The rear sprocket change was much easier than the front sprocket too. 6 nuts and it comes right off. Impact guns rock.

As far as windy conditions go, this is something everyone deals with and it doesn't matter what kind of bike you ride. I also commute over a bridge going home and the wind comes right off the pacific ocean. The winds here can be really strong. I've had to lean the bike slightly into the wind before just to go straight. This is something you'll need to get used to. Things I've found to be of great help in windy situations: Tuck in/ lay on the tank. This does 2 things: it decreases the sail effect so the wind has less area to push against and it shifts the center of gravity forward. This can help stabilize the front end. The other thing you should do is relax. I know it sounds weird, but relaxing will keep your mind clear to make smooth adjustments. If you freak out, there's a tendency to jerk the bike and that can get you into trouble really fast. Lastly, speed is a factor. The faster you go, the more stable your bike becomes. It has to do with forward momentum vs. opposing forces. You can do a google search for "motorcycle gusty winds" or similar and read up more. The first time I rode in a windy condition, I knew none of this and it freaked me out. Slowing the bike down may make you feel better, but it also makes the bike more unstable.

Old April 12th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #19
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Not sure which western state you're referring to, but no one cruises at 80 here, especially in traffic. CHP is much less forgiving these days. Most of my commute is done at 65 or less. Please don't give advice like this. Comfort levels will vary from person to person. My bike is perfectly capable of keeping up with traffic, especially now with my 15T/43T combo. It's much tamer as well.
Well, Im not exactly sure where Union City is, but Ive lived most of my life in southern CA. I've commuted in a cage on long stretches down the 210, I10, 60, and 118 and I5 from the San Fernando Valley to Camp Pendleton and from SF Valley to Riverside for years at a time. Ive dabbled in AZ as well on the I10 and the I8, so I have a sliver of familiarity with the roads OP rides on.

In addition, I know live on the East coast and there is a tangible difference between how people here drive and the quality and width of the highways here versus that out West, particularly CA. Everything I said in my earlier post is valid, so please dont tut-tut my advice.

Old April 12th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #20
bluesinorbit
ninjette.org member

Name: Joon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

I say stick with the 250R. You are new and a commuter like me. As others have already mentioned, there are good reasons for people like us to keep the bike; gas mileage, learning curve, and cheap insurance, etc.

The high RPM takes a little getting used to, but as Brandon said it is perfectly safe and normal to keep the bike between 8-11k RPM at all times. I'm mostly surface street during commute but the times that I have been on the freeway I had no problem keeping up with the traffic. The 250R hits 80-90MPH comfortably. I can see how the extra acceleration would give you a bit more confidence at these speeds for passing, but I personally don't see a real need for it. At these speeds, you should be riding steadily along with the condition of the traffic, neither too fast or passing car after another. Passing is the most risky move on the freeway. Even at that, it's a very unlikely situation in which you would need that much extra power to get out of a situation. As motorcyclists, our first and the safest move is to avoid these situations by applying SEE, Search, Evaluate, Execute.

And that brings me to another point about bigger bikes. You'd always have to keep it tamed. You can never really let it loose with them unless you take them to a track. You can hit the entire power band of the 250R and go through all the gears on surface street and not be riding like a well... "total" lunatic, but maybe just a little. It's a fun bike. You have it. Give it a chance.

Lastly, invest in some earplugs. It would make your riding a whole lot more pleasant and you'd be saving your hearing down the road.
bluesinorbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #21
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

So because you cruised at 80 in socal means that the entire western US drives the same way? I've done my fair share of socal commutes and not everyone cruises at 80. I've also driven in Phoenix and traffic there hovers between 70-75, well within the ninjette's capabilities. There isn't a road in the US that the ninjette wouldn't be safe on. Just because you don't feel secure doesn't mean the bike isn't up to the task. Besides all this, it shouldn't matter if the flow of traffic is 75 or 90, people should be staying within the speed limits.

Old April 12th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #22
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Cool

I've ridden/owned over 80 different motorcycles, the SV650S is easily one of my top 5 favorite of all time.. for that reason I've ridden or owned all variation of then SV engine.. including the Gladius, WeeStrom, naked FI SV, faired FI SVS, naked carb-ed SV and fair/carb-ed SVS. My choice from among those, the fair/carb-ed SV650S. I've bought and sold them twice before I realized how much I like them. So much so that I have two of them in my garage right now.

I'm 5'10", 170 lb. with full riding gear, the SV650S just seems to fit better than any other moto that I've ridden. Everything is in the right place for my ergo. The bike performs no matter how hard I push it, it is very forgiving when I make mistakes, the reliability is rock solid and it's a simple machine to work on for those who are not so mechanically inclined. It always starts, never given me any mechanicals and always performed as it should.
Among the SV series that I've ridden/owned, I've put abut 60k. mi. on them. Longest single day/trip riding being little over 750 miles from Philly to Chicago. BTW, there is a HUGE difference between the EX250 and SV650s in highways stability.

Pic of me on my first SV650S... always regret selling it, since it only had little over 6k mi. on its odometer.. buyer wanted it bad, then totalled it few months later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SV.jpg (78.6 KB, 13 views)
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #23
lunerkid
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Quote:
I like to cruise 80mph
My commute is from 880 starting near Hayward to 680 to 280
Bike runs at least 10k rpm for a good half hour one way.

My personal take is keep the 250 a while longer riding. Take it to some twisty roads and take it easy. There is a lot more to learn on a 250 than you can cram in 1 month.
lunerkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #24
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
So because you cruised at 80 in socal means that the entire western US drives the same way? I've done my fair share of socal commutes and not everyone cruises at 80. I've also driven in Phoenix and traffic there hovers between 70-75, well within the ninjette's capabilities. There isn't a road in the US that the ninjette wouldn't be safe on. Just because you don't feel secure doesn't mean the bike isn't up to the task. Besides all this, it shouldn't matter if the flow of traffic is 75 or 90, people should be staying within the speed limits.
Thank you kindly for the period of instruction on civics and the vehicle code. However, in the real world, on many occasions, traffic moves significantly in excess of the posted speed limit (as if the speed limit is some decree by the Almighty that once violated will instantly make you a dangerous motorist).

Regardless, you've drawn the flawed assumption that I was arguing the 250 is not safe to ride on the highway. I made no such assertion. In fact, I called it adequate.

Furthermore, you get wrapped around the axle confusing velocity and acceleration. No body here argued that the 250 cant do 80 or 90mph. The issue is that at that speed, the 250 has very little capability to accelerate, most especially compared to a 650. Now, only an imbecile will argue that there arent certain occasions on the highway or interstate where a reservoir of accelaration would be beneficial to have. For example, you are crusing in the left lane doing 83mph, behind a car that is doing 85mph (veh. A), adjacent to you on your right, and 150 meters behind is a car doing 80mph (veh. B). Lets say A slams on the brakes and you decide against following suit for fear of being rear ended, however you closed the throttle and now are at 75mph and losing speed. You can certainly change lanes to the right, but you damn better have some accelerative capability to maintain and open up the distance between you and the vehicle (now) behind you and closing the gap (veh. B).

Now if that doesnt make sense to you then I am at a loss as to how to present it to you in a more logical manner. If you claim you never ride or drive 80+ than you are either a liar or an insufferable annoyance and hazard to the traffic around you.

Old April 12th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #25
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunerkid View Post
I like to cruise 80mph
My commute is from 880 starting near Hayward to 680 to 280
I'm jealous that you're on 880 and can go 80mph! Seems like it's always bumper to bumper when I'm on that damn road.

I commute at 80mph, too (in my car, sadly). Hwy 280 down the peninsula to Cupertino.

I think if all someone wants to do is ride on a freeway to work and back (or do long distance riding that's primarily freeway), getting something with a bigger engine is probably more sensible/comfortable. That's the big scenario where I can see myself wanting a 650cc again once my back is better.

But who wants to spend all day on the freeway anyway?

Old April 12th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #26
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

get the sv and enjoy. just shop around and waiting to find a good deal. by the time you find the good deal you'll have more mileage under your belt. i hate people using a mileage mark as to when they should upgrade. just don't be stupid on it and ride smart

Old April 12th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #27
trex
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 250r '08 Candy Plasma (best) Blue

stop asking advice for something you have already decided to do

don't hurt yourself
trex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #28
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
i hate people using a mileage mark as to when they should upgrade. just don't be stupid on it and ride smart
I agree that there isn't a universal mileage mark that means a rider suddenly has all necessary skills when a few miles before they didn't. But it's also true that new riders might blame something they are experiencing on the bike they are riding, rather than realizing it's more related to their "newness" and has little to do with the bike itself.

Being "blown around" on the highway is one of those great examples, where buying a slightly larger bike to deal with a perceived problem on the ninjette isn't the answer.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #29
mms1361
ninjette.org newbie

What i meant by the wind issues is that the bike felt like it struggles more to accelerate when wind is pushing against it. Although at times I do get the occasional drafts that tend to push me, its nothing I cant handle. I havent decided to do anything yet thats why im asking for all of your opinions. I myself feel that its too early to move on to a bigger bike even though i already feel very comfortable with all the basic maneuvering on the 250. One of the main reasons I wanted the sv650 to be justifiable is because lots of people recommend it is beginner friendly. I would just like to say that even though the replies are very diversified they all have very helpful information. I thought I was just going to get flamed for asking a question that only I can answer.
-thx again for your opinions

Old April 12th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #30
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

Quote:
my commute from san bernardino to long beach on the 250r was 80-95 mph, moderate lane splitting
on the 636 it is 90-110 mph, ALOT of lane splitting
in my car 80-105 mph, easy cruise in the fast lane
i know its reckless but thats just the way i am

Quote:
Well, Im not exactly sure where Union City is, but Ive lived most of my life in southern CA. I've commuted in a cage on long stretches down the 210, I10, 60, and 118 and I5 from the San Fernando Valley to Camp Pendleton and from SF Valley to Riverside for years at a time. Ive dabbled in AZ as well on the I10 and the I8, so I have a sliver of familiarity with the roads OP rides on.
ppl in the inland empire/san bernardino county tend to go faster than the rest
i know because i live there and speed with the rest of traffic
freeways are nice and straight and 4+ lanes (each side)
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #31
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Many here swear its fine for the highway, but I suspect alot of these people are East Coast riders who dont generally go faster than 70-80mph on their commutes. Out west, traffic tends to cruise at 80-90+ and at this speed, the 250 is maxed out in terms of accelaration. Sure, you can stick to the right lanes and be OK, but you cannot comfortable navigate traffice on a 4 lane highway at those speeds.
I don't often take umbrage at things said on the net, but this post is pure foolishness. My 07 has no problem maintaining those speeds, and I'm a LOT bigger than most guys here, and I also happen to live in Southern CA. That being said, there are not many places where you can maintain 80 MPH and not get pulled over.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #32
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
I don't often take umbrage at things said on the net, but this post is pure foolishness. My 07 has no problem maintaining those speeds, and I'm a LOT bigger than most guys here, and I also happen to live in Southern CA. That being said, there are not many places where you can maintain 80 MPH and not get pulled over.
While trying to avoid Alex's ire, I will curb my sarcasm a degree and merely retort that your own post drips with ignorance. Before you call people foolish, you should carry out the due dilligence of actually reading the thread. In the unlikely event that you did read the whole thread and the above gem is what you managed to produce I feel bad for your comprehension skills.

For those whose skull does not have the density of depleted uranium or the thickness of a coat of homogenized steel, NOT A SINGLE PERSON here has argued that the 250 cannot attain and maintain speeds in excess of 80+ mph. The two main issues are accelerative capability at the speed and the ease at which the 250 cruises at that speed. In both instances, while the 250 can perform ADEQUATELY on the highway, an experienced rider will be more comfortable on a larger displacement bike.

Once again, for those that process thoughts rationally and logically: the argument isnt that a rider NEEDS a bigger bike to ride the highway, but that he can USE a bigger bike to ride the highway comfortably. I wont speak for others, but that is the idea Ive been trying to portray and I believe that is the gist of the OP's question.

Old April 13th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #33
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
I've ridden/owned over 80 different motorcycles,
O.K.
Name them all. You have 30 seconds!

JK

Old April 13th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #34
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
I've ridden/owned over 80 different motorcycles...
Post up in THIS THREAD.

slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #35
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Cool

How many do you spot in my garage? Number seems to have changed since that original post.

Last futzed with by "A"; April 14th, 2011 at 09:37 AM.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #36
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
the wind you will get use to and it will be a non issue after a bit of time. Even on a 650 the wind is still there, better to learn how to deal with freeway turbulance on a 250 then the rest is cake.

As for pushing the engine that is another one you just have to get use to, these bikes love to run high up the rpm, it can get annoying but its not hurting the engine or the bike at all, its where they are happiest.

The sv650 while tame for mid range sport bikes still has enough power to get you into a lot of trouble. I say a bit more time on the 250 but its your money and you need to be happy with your purchase.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:02 PM   #37
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Name: Rollo

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250r (silver)

Hi Kelly ... great article(s) ... definitely made me stop and think. Thanks, man ... Mahalo!
Davis937 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:45 PM   #38
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

Name: Franco

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2006 Ninja 636

lol @ east coast motorists who don't go above 70. Once you're clear of the DC-Metro area traffic, it's not SAFE to be doing under 75.

our 250s do alright on the highway. They're perfect if you're not in a terrible hurry, but if you do need to accelerate, you're not gonna be any slower to 90 than the standard sedan you'll be riding alongside--advantage to us is you can make a lot more use out of a little lane or shoulder. there's a reason they teach you to swerve at the msf hehe.
you might also wanna familiarize yourself with the high-beam switch and the horn button. those aren't too bad at catching attention.

anyway, i'm still learning a fair bit about my bike and i've had it for quite a bit less than a year. as soon as i thought i knew everything about it, the day came when i discovered that i didn't, in fact, know, and i ended up under someone's bumper (i maintain that it's not entirely my fault).

either way, ride safe

Old April 24th, 2011, 04:59 AM   #39
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Enough with the complaints that the Ninjette doesn't accelerate. I jump out onto the local highway from a dead stop into traffic with no issues at all, and I can out accelerate most cars on the road. I can get 0-60 in under 6 seconds and do a 1/4 mile in the 14s. Here are some cars that my ninja is comparable to or faster than in 0-60 and quarter mile times, cars that do more than fine driving on the highway:

2009 Acura TSX
2008 BMW 328i
1983 Ferrari 308
2011 Audi A6 3.2
2010 Dodge Challenger SE
2010 Ford Mustang
2010 Lexus IS-250
1978 Lamborghini Countach
I could go on and on . . .

Sure, literbikes and 600cc sportbikes are faster. (But not more fun, imho.) But that has nothing to do with safety or practicality. Just use the revs and stay in the power band. You really have to work it hard (that is the fun bit), but if you are in the right gear and crank up past 7k to 10k, you get plenty of power for anything practical you need to do.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2011, 06:09 AM   #40
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
I can get 0-60 in under 6 seconds and do a 1/4 mile in the 14s.
You can? Do you have any time slips to prove it?

I think you're using internet numbers for this. I've seen the 250 claimed as a mid 5 second 0-60 and mid 14's 1/4. My experience shows this not to be true. The two 250's I've ridden were both solid mid 15 bikes. Who knows, maybe I'm fat and a ****** rider. However, my money is that the real world acceleration of the 250 is mid 7's and mid 15's. Furthermore, I highly doubt that you have a 6 second 0-60 and 14 second 1/4 time slip.

Either way, every car you posted, will have a much quicker 60-100mph (and more importantly 70-90mph time) than the 250. None of those cars however would beat the Ninja 650 in any of those categories.

What you guys with the inferiority complex need to understand is that no one is claiming the 250 isn't a spectacular bike. However, it has certain real world limitations. Choosing to ignore those limitations is ignorant. Its like a guy with a 4 cylinder S10 trying to argue his truck is just as useful for hauling things as another guy's V8 F150.

Why can't you understand that just because a 250 works for you, it might not work for everyone else? And by the way, I'm happy with my 250, and its limitations. I just don't see the need to pound my chest and try to force the 250 on everyone else. If a guy wants a 650 to be able to open up space between himself and cars on the highway good on him. If another guy wants to be able to have steam left after he eclipses 100mph, and wants a bike capable of that, good on him.