Old February 15th, 2011, 03:46 AM   #1
MrMach
ninjette.org member

Name: USA

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Anybody have one of these?

I ordered one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-ARM...7766584&sr=1-2

I was taking my bike to show my favorite local performance car shop owner the ninja, cuz she wants one Naturally there was a harley group out, and one of their riders ate road, he had a helmet and leather jacket on, but man he got messed up bad (city of SA can die in a fire for all the dirt/salt they put on the roads during our snow day last week).

So I came home that day and found one of those on Amazon and figured I would test out the $50 investment. (it says 26.99 now...I ordered it yesterday and it was 39.99 plus $10 for shipping.....*shakes fist*)

Old February 15th, 2011, 06:14 AM   #2
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

How are you planning on "testing" it? I don't know that I would trust this for sport bikes. I even see few using them for MX?

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #3
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Go with the airbag full suit.

Old February 15th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #4
Bleak21
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninjette

I have an AXO aircage pro I got at the end of last season. I haven't had a chance to really test it out in a crash, hopefully I'll never have to (knock on big wood desk). It fits well and I feel comfortable in the exoskeleton suits. I really like the kidney belt in the axo especially since it seems kidney belts were always a part of riding but not anymore. My next jacket will be a size larger to fit the cage underneath it better. It was comfortable when dirtbiking for a few days down in the tropics a few months ago. I also was wearing it when I laid down the ninjette during a blizzard a little bit ago (I wanted to see what it was like to ride in snow just outside my driveway OK!? ) and it held up well. I dunno if it will help be abrasion resistant but it looks like it would help in an impact.

I would order it and try it out. I'm thinking of putting mine under a nice jacket when I don't have to go far but want to look "presentable" and be well protected (ya never know!). It'll also come in handy if you ever go riding somewhere really warm and don't want to bring your jacket like I did. Worst case it's $50 and you return it or give it to a newbie friend etc.
Bleak21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #5
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

I have one of those for dirtbiking. It works really well for that. I don't think I'd wear it streetbiking, but now that I say that, I'm not sure WHY I wouldn't. Huh.

Old February 15th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #6
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
I have one of those for dirtbiking. It works really well for that. I don't think I'd wear it streetbiking, but now that I say that, I'm not sure WHY I wouldn't. Huh.
I probably wouldn't wear anything that's not CE rated, but that's just me.

Old February 16th, 2011, 05:41 AM   #7
KawiRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Derek

Motorcycle(s): '08 and 09 Ninja 250R

CE approved gear is definitely recommended. That being said, it is definitely better than being a freaking squid, even if was designed for moto.
KawiRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #8
MrMach
ninjette.org member

yeah, my whole basis is to just get some protection. IDK if you guys have ever driven around San Antonio, TX ever, but it's definitely a hair raising experience in a car, let alone a bike.

I figure $50 they say its street/moto whatever, I hope they never make me test it out either , It should fit me snugly under neath my jacket, now I just really need a good set of gloves.

Old February 17th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #9
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

I've been looking at the dainese version of that, just so pricey
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #10
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Surely a hard plastic outer shell and a padded inner lining would offer better protection than just a textile layer and soft foam padding. Couple the body armor jacket with a good outer layer, it seems your abrasion and impact protection ( as long as the pads stay in place) would be better than the standard jacket, even if the plastic only lasted one impact. Just my 2 cent.

There is a good article from Webbike World about Motorcycle Clothing Safety Standards. http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc...-standards.htm
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #11
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Surely a hard plastic outer shell and a padded inner lining would offer better protection than just a textile layer and soft foam padding. Couple the body armor jacket with a good outer layer, it seems your abrasion and impact protection ( as long as the pads stay in place) would be better than the standard jacket, even if the plastic only lasted one impact. Just my 2 cent.

There is a good article from Webbike World about Motorcycle Clothing Safety Standards. http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc...-standards.htm
It's hard to assume that just because it's a hard plastic shell that it won't shatter under impact. It really depends on how it's designed. If you take a look at most CE rated armor, it's a soft plastic that is used, not hard plastic. In an impact in dirt, the ground gives way and you would want a hard armor to keep your body from conforming to the dirt, thus possibly stretching muscles, twisting joints, etc. The idea for pliable street armor is that it is supposed to disperse impact energy, thus protecting the body.

Imagine a high side and you end up landing on your back. Would you want something that will shatter on impact and transferring the left over energy directly into your body? Or would you prefer something that will absorb that energy and act as a cushion?

I would hate to see people lulled into a false sense of security just because they saved a few bucks on armor and think it's going to help during a bad accident.

Old February 17th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #12
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
It's hard to assume that just because it's a hard plastic shell that it won't shatter under impact. It really depends on how it's designed. If you take a look at most CE rated armor, it's a soft plastic that is used, not hard plastic. In an impact in dirt, the ground gives way and you would want a hard armor to keep your body from conforming to the dirt, thus possibly stretching muscles, twisting joints, etc. The idea for pliable street armor is that it is supposed to disperse impact energy, thus protecting the body.

Imagine a high side and you end up landing on your back. Would you want something that will shatter on impact and transferring the left over energy directly into your body? Or would you prefer something that will absorb that energy and act as a cushion?

I would hate to see people lulled into a false sense of security just because they saved a few bucks on armor and think it's going to help during a bad accident.
Don't get me wrong. I am not advocating a particular brand or style nor was I assuming that hard plastic will not shatter. Maybe "hard' was the wrong word to use. Pliable / flexible plastic like that used in some of the Knox CE approved armor is what I was thinking of. I also referenced the article so that people who read this thread would be able to see what the CE standard is, make a more informed decision and know why choosing the proper clothing/equipment is essential.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #13
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

It's all good. I just don't think MX armor should be used on the street. Just my opinion though

Old February 17th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #14
MrMach
ninjette.org member

IDK if it makes a difference, but this is the one I ordered

http://www.t-motorsports.com/product...k-tarmor222-k/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

but it was ordered off Amazon, not the original motorcross style one I posted originally.

Old February 18th, 2011, 04:09 AM   #15
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Great you are gearing up, and that certainly looks like a good coverage full shirt. And the cost is great. That said, t-motorsports, who makes TMS gear, is a crap company that one should be very careful dealing with. Not saying the gear you bought doesn't give good protection, I don't know, and its hard to say since it isn't CE rated or tested in any way.

But the company itself has a terrible reputation for product quality, customer service, etc. The company is Chinese, and there appears to be zero testing on the products. They are the poster child for what is wrong with the DOT standard for helmets - DOT lets companies self certify, and TMS claims DOT compliance on it's $25 helmets -- I've seen one, and that is laughable -- better protection from a bike helmet, imho. Requests to prove their DOT certification with study results or specifics go unanswered. And responsiveness to complaints is nil. Their Better Business Bureau rating is the rarified "F" grade for a huge number of complaints and a number left completely unresolved. Here is their Better Business Bureau page: Look, Mom, We Got an F!

Personally, I wouldn't buy their product because of serious concerns over their commitment to safety, their refusal to certifiy testing, and generally their unresponsiveness to motorcyclists. I would not be surprised if their products have killed riders. A better alternative would be Velocity Gear Body Armor. You can find a review of Velocity Body Armor here. One of the great things about supporting Velocity is that they are a small, local company that really cares about the science behind what they build.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2011, 10:46 AM   #16
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
I probably wouldn't wear anything that's not CE rated, but that's just me.
Sorry, I should have specified -- I have a similar piece of gear, not that exact one. This is the one I have:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...on-Jacket.aspx

Alpinestar Women's Stella Bionic, which is CE rated. Plus, it has big pointy plastic boobs.

Old February 19th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #17
MrMach
ninjette.org member

I received the device yesterday, its nice and light, and the plastic seems firm yet forgiving, I think Im gonna go put it on and jump onto my back and chest in my driveway to test it out, maybe run full speed into my neighbors car. It's definitely put together pretty good, but I guess time will tell for sure. I'm definitely going to look into the alpine stars stuff...preferably the non pointy plastic boob version

Old February 20th, 2011, 04:57 AM   #18
CoinSlot
ninjette.org member

Name: Gordo

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMach View Post
maybe run full speed into my neighbors car.
Video please.
CoinSlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2011, 09:23 AM   #19
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
Sorry, I should have specified -- I have a similar piece of gear, not that exact one. This is the one I have:

Alpinestar Women's Stella Bionic, which is CE rated. Plus, it has big pointy plastic boobs.
Big boobs are always a plus .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMach View Post
I received the device yesterday, its nice and light, and the plastic seems firm yet forgiving, I think Im gonna go put it on and jump onto my back and chest in my driveway to test it out, maybe run full speed into my neighbors car. It's definitely put together pretty good, but I guess time will tell for sure. I'm definitely going to look into the alpine stars stuff...preferably the non pointy plastic boob version
Good idea about finding some CE rated gear. Altho, can I ask. Why do you want MX gear? I, too, would like to see a video when you run into your neighbors car. lol. Better yet, have someone swing a 2x4 at you

Old February 21st, 2011, 12:19 PM   #20
Memengkamatis
ninjette.org member

Name: AL

Motorcycle(s): ex250r, vulcan 800b, k1200r

Anybody have....

I have the Bohn Torso shell with shoulder, elbows and back protector. During very hot summer days, I wear it under a superlarge motocross t-shirts by Thor or Fox. I am not roasting and still protected. I also have the Bohn underpants with knees, hips and tailbone pads under Kevlar lined denim pants by Joe Rocket.

Meng
Memengkamatis is offline   Reply With Quote