ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 24th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #1
mrudich
ninjette.org member

Name: Mateo

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Oil Filter...

I see the K&N oil filter (KN-401) everywhere. It seems like many online sites only carry the K&N ones. I was about to purchase it, but I believe I heard somewhere that K&N filters aren't very good.. I don't remember where I heard this, but I was just wondering what brand of oil filter you guys use? Have you had any experience with the K&N ones? Thanks!
mrudich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i use k&n

Old March 24th, 2014, 07:23 PM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I don't think K&N oil filters are bad.

From the oil filter tests I've seen, in general, most cycle filters aren't great (when compared to the best auto filters) - OEM included - but I don't think it's going to cause significant wear or damage.

I use WIX or NAPA (made by WIX) filters mostly. I was using Purolator, but they are made in China - so I changed. Are they OK? Probably.

FRAM has a bad reputation (deserved or not) based on a change they made a while ago with their standard auto filters - using cardboard valves inside the filter. Some of the FRAM filters are made in China as well. Are they OK? Probably.

You'll be fine with a K&N (made by either Emgo or Hiflo I'm pretty sure).
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2014, 09:30 PM   #4
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

K&N recently shifted oil filter construction to china. I just don't like supporting Chinese manufacturing.
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2014, 09:38 PM   #5
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterliter View Post
K&N recently shifted oil filter construction to china. I just don't like supporting Chinese manufacturing.
You must not buy very many products then. Unfortunately a lot of products we buy are labeled " Made in China".
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 24th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
You must not buy very many products then. Unfortunately a lot of products we buy are labeled " Made in China".
and if the product itself isn't made in china, the materials used to create the product, as well as probably the machines and tooling used to create the product... and probably also dies/paints and or flavorings used to make whatever it is you are buying that is 'made in america'. well, not textiles. that's cheaper elsewhere.

Old March 24th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #7
Josh_kcco
ninjette.org guru

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): '04 Ninja 250R

i use hiflo filtro filters.
model 401

http://www.hiflofiltro.com/
http://www.hiflofiltro.com/catalogue/filter/HF401

all my local shop carries.
Josh_kcco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2014, 06:55 AM   #8
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

I haven't bought anything for my bike that is chinese is origin. My sprockets were from japan, oil filters in this case came from poland, pirelli tires from south america etc. It is possible.
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #9
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
... Some of the FRAM filters are made in China as well.
The last two I bought for the 250, one was made in Korea and the other in India.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2014, 05:31 AM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
The last two I bought for the 250, one was made in Korea and the other in India.
FRAM cycle filters are sourced from different countries for different engines, but it's interesting that a filter for the same engine would be made in different locations.

I used to use FRAM filters all the time, but I just don't trust their QC nowadays.

Old March 26th, 2014, 06:39 AM   #11
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterliter View Post

so many people think this is impossible to do, yet it's not. I strive to do the same, although as noted by others it's almost impossible to avoid. Somewhere in the manufacturing process, something likely passed through China. That doesn't mean you shouldn't support manufacturers who do the majority of their fabrication outside of China. Where their suppliers get their materials is more difficult to determine and/or control.

As far as oil filters go, my personal opinion is... you should be replacing them often enough that the quality differences between brands is negligible, this is also true of most oils. Sure, some are superior and will likely last longer than others, but if you change them out on a regular basis, you shouldn't come close to their expected life span. Where you need to be concerned is when one filter actually functions differently than the OEM filter. This is not the case with our Kawi and the standard filter it has.

(offtopic.... This is not true in the Subaru world, where at startup the OEM filter is designed not to function to maintain proper oil pressure within the engine. Once oil pressure rises, the oil filter functions again, or something like that. When it comes to my subaru, I use OEM filters ONLY).
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2014, 07:16 AM   #12
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
At times it can't be avoided, but other times close inspection of all similar products available will give you a choice to make.

It's a personal choice, and it will most likely cost you money to pick a product not manufactured in China.

Some think it's worth it - others don't.

Old March 26th, 2014, 08:21 AM   #13
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
...but it's interesting that a filter for the same engine would be made in different locations.
Makes sense sometimes to have cheap regional manufacturers if you want to reduce cost and increase volume.

Look at Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Honda, Hyundai and the rest that have plants in the USA to make basically the same cars they could make in their perspective country.

Old March 26th, 2014, 08:26 AM   #14
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post

(offtopic.... This is not true in the Subaru world, where at startup the OEM filter is designed not to function to maintain proper oil pressure within the engine. Once oil pressure rises, the oil filter functions again, or something like that. When it comes to my subaru, I use OEM filters ONLY).

just ordered a case of black Tokyo Rokis for this very reason
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2014, 09:08 AM   #15
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
just ordered a case of black Tokyo Rokis for this very reason
nice. I gave up with those, and just buy the blue filters. not as good, but better than anything the aftermarket offers.

I actually need to re-order my Kawi filters, I realize I just ran out of my supply and it's about time to change for spring! This thread was timed perfectly.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2014, 12:32 PM   #16
Kneedragon88
ninjette.org member

Name: Ry

Motorcycle(s): 06 Daytona 675, 2010 Ninja 250 Racebike

Slightly off topic but does k&n make a non cartridge filter that is predrilled for safety wire? The one that the local shop gave me is cartridge style.
Kneedragon88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2014, 12:40 PM   #17
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragon88 View Post
Slightly off topic but does k&n make a non cartridge filter that is predrilled for safety wire? The one that the local shop gave me is cartridge style.
What model bike do you want one for? If it's for the Ninja 250, they do not. You need a special adapter to use a canister filter on the Ninja 250. The K&N filter used in the adapter has a fixed nut cross drilled for safety wire.

Old March 26th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #18
Kneedragon88
ninjette.org member

Name: Ry

Motorcycle(s): 06 Daytona 675, 2010 Ninja 250 Racebike

I have a 2009, thought I saw somewhere that you could get that type of filter for the newer ones.
Kneedragon88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #19
Jammerkiller
lurking about........

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2004/2005 Ninja EX250, VFR750, Shadow ACE750, NC700X

For the record, I sometimes use Fram, when in a pinch, or working on someone else's bike and they bring their own filter. Nothing wrong with them, and they are available at almost every auto-parts store.

I currently use Wix #24941. (Merle's auto supply, or wherever available) Comes with both o-rings, and usually made in Poland. (...sometimes Mexico)

....About $4-$5 each....