ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:32 AM   #1
nealt
ninjette.org member

Name: Neal

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Suggestions for a better option to stock shift linkage.

Hey peeps,

Need some suggestions on a better shift linkage than the stock unit. I was on the highway yesterday and the linkage broke at the pedal where the ball joint attaches to the pedal. The metal is just a thin rod that looks pressed in (6mm at most).

I think the reason its broken is that i've been using clutchless upshifts a lot over the last few thousand miles and the pre-loading of the shifter seems to have overstressed the metal and it sheared over time. My neighbour volunteered to weld the ball joint to the shifter pedal so hopefully it's a lot stronger as the face of the ball joint is larger and the weld area should be large enough to provide a much stronger joint.

However if this fails again I will need to replace the assembly (pedal and balljoint as one piece) but I don't want to go back to the stock unit as it will fail again likely.
nealt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:50 AM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Would aftermarket rearsets fix your issue? I'm sorry for not having a definite answer, but I'm having trouble visualizing the break.
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:21 AM   #3
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

Aftermarket Rearsets would definitely solve your problem. There's a couple cheaper options but they'll still cost you ~$150-~200 new.
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:30 AM   #4
nealt
ninjette.org member

choneofakind, take a look at the linkage at shift pedal end. If you peel back the rubber on the ball joint take a look at what physically connects the ball joint to the shift pedal. Its a shaft from the ball joint that's maybe 3mm at best and it's pressed into the shift pedal. It's that shaft that sheared right at the pedal.
The replacement will be a new pedal with the ball joint attached. The strange thing is that where the shaft enters the ball joint the metal is maybe 8mm wide. They just needed to join that to the shifter pedal for a much stronger connection. It looks like the joint and shaft were spun from the same bit of metal, probably cheaper than using a better ball joint.

My neighbour is a partner in a business that makes a product called the "Shredder" and he says he has ball joints of the same size that are way stronger and never need lubrication. Btw, he is also the inventor of the "Shredder", check the vids on youtube, i'm dying to take it for a ride.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:45 AM   #5
nealt
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgeneral View Post
Aftermarket Rearsets would definitely solve your problem. There's a couple cheaper options but they'll still cost you ~$150-~200 new.
Yup, I guess that's the route i'll be lookng at. My neighbour will weld it which will make it stronger than the original but I need to look at a better solution for the long run. Any suggestions on a good set that has value for the money, i'm not wasting money for name and shiny bits if it actually does not add functionality or longevity.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:07 AM   #6
aShifty
ninjette.org member

Name: Armin

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Why clutch less up shifts?
aShifty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:48 AM   #7
nealt
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aShifty View Post
You mean why do I use clutchless upshifts? or why did it kill the shifter?

Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:28 AM   #8
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
@ForceofWill has a nice looking set of rearsets I really like, but I can never remember what brand they are. They're cool colors and I'm pretty sure they're not as expensive as some on the market
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:31 AM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aShifty View Post
its faster. Less time wasted because you aren't pulling the clutch in and them reingaging. If you chop the throttle as you tap the shifter up, the engine slows enough that the transmission slips into the next gear and you're good to open it up again. Get it right and you can shave time off of a 0-60 run
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:02 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealt View Post
...........Btw, he is also the inventor of the "Shredder", check the vids on youtube, i'm dying to take it for a ride.
Any YouTube link?

This is the first time that I learn about this failure; I would replace the part with the original one.

Check that the linkage can be rotated for any position of the lever after the adjustment is finished; otherwise, additional torsional stress on the mechanism will be introduced at each shifting.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:29 AM   #11
nealt
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
its faster. Less time wasted because you aren't pulling the clutch in and them reingaging. If you chop the throttle as you tap the shifter up, the engine slows enough that the transmission slips into the next gear and you're good to open it up again. Get it right and you can shave time off of a 0-60 run
Posted via Mobile Device
++1 yup, and its a real help when chasing a bigger bike through a sweeper to maintain and increase your speed as you go through the corner without upsetting the chassis with a clutched shift.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:38 AM   #12
nealt
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Any YouTube link?

This is the first time that I learn about this failure; I would replace the part with the original one.

Check that the linkage can be rotated for any position of the lever after the adjustment is finished; otherwise, additional torsional stress on the mechanism will be introduced at each shifting.
Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh2nLWYnxkM

It shouldn't stress as much because the link is stronger and the ball joint at both ends are still fully functional. I don't think I want to go back to the original. I'll be looking into a set of rearsets with a better/tougher link

Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:23 AM   #13
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealt View Post
Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh2nLWYnxkM

It shouldn't stress as much because the link is stronger and the ball joint at both ends are still fully functional. I don't think I want to go back to the original. I'll be looking into a set of rearsets with a better/tougher link
Get rid of the linkage all together and get a yami 50 shifter. 13 washintons and you have GP shift

Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:38 AM   #14
nealt
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Get rid of the linkage all together and get a yami 50 shifter. 13 washintons and you have GP shift
hmmmmm....not a bad idea, just have to unlearn my old shift habits..

Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:09 PM   #15
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
@ForceofWill has a nice looking set of rearsets I really like, but I can never remember what brand they are. They're cool colors and I'm pretty sure they're not as expensive as some on the market
Posted via Mobile Device
They're Bohemian Racing rearsets. I have a similar set, but without the two separate colour of annodizing. Mine are all gold. They cost $195+shipping.
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote