ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 12th, 2014, 11:00 AM   #1
drc84
ninjette.org member

Name: Ralph

Motorcycle(s): 2004 EX250

2004 EX250 Leaking Coolant After Change

Hello everyone!

A few weeks ago, I changed the coolant in my 2004 EX 250. I used the guide featured on faq.ninja250.org.

When I finished changing it, I didn't notice the fluid leaking. However, as soon as the next day of driving to work, when I'd arrive at work or arrive back home, the bike would slowly leak coolant, as featured in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhsA..._KvnsbKWPfByBA

As you can see, it doesn't leak much. It's been doing this since I changed the coolant, and I guess it hasn't run out of coolant yet. I checked the bolts that I loosened to change it and they all seem to be tight.

What should I do?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and for any help you can give me!
drc84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2014, 06:01 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
You need to solve that problem as soon as possible !!!

A lack of coolant around the cylinder head can be catastrophic for these engines.

It seems to be coming from the drain plug or from a crack in the body of the pump or connectors to the hose.

The high pressure in the system makes it leak more when hot.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2014, 06:18 PM   #3
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

One thing I had recently was coolant dripping there. It's the water pump and there's 2 'o' ringed pipes, the drain plug and the gasket. So natch you assume that is where the leak must be.
I went through them all, draining and refitting refitting twice! Still leaking
Turned out the leak was at 'O' ring on the main union that goes into the top of cylinder head.
It trickles right down the back of the engine, across to the left and down over the water pump
Fooled me completely
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 12th, 2014, 06:22 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
Turned out the leak was at 'O' ring on the main union that goes into the top of cylinder head.
It trickles right down the back of the engine, across to the left and down over the water pump
Fooled me completely
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Hints_%...g_coolant_pipe

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #5
drc84
ninjette.org member

Okay, everyone. Thanks for the quick and informative replies! I haven't been able to figure out where the leak is coming from yet, but I did notice that the amount of coolant that leaks out each day has slowed down considerably.

Today, I got the chance to get out there with the bottle of coolant and refill it. I was expecting to refill it nearly the whole way; however, it only took a little bit of coolant before it was full again.

The reserve tank under my side panel was empty, so I refilled it all the way.

Why did it seem like so much had leaked out? Any ideas?

Old April 19th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #6
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Hi DRC84. Just pointing out that under the side panel is the 'expansion' tank not a 'reserve' tank. As the engine heats up the level will go up then, as the engine cools down, coolant is drawn back into the engine so you will see levels fall. It will fluctuate over a range of maybe 1/2 inch between cold engine in winter and hot engine in summer. The key when checking for leakage is to always compare levels in the same conditions.
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2014, 09:19 AM   #7
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
One thing I had recently was coolant dripping there. It's the water pump and there's 2 'o' ringed pipes, the drain plug and the gasket. So natch you assume that is where the leak must be.
I went through them all, draining and refitting refitting twice! Still leaking
Fooled me completely
I'm having that exact same issue.
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2014, 01:11 PM   #8
drc84
ninjette.org member

I'm bumping this with a video:

Link to original page on YouTube.

This is getting worse and I think it's going to cause a problem soon. Anyone have a recommendation of a guide to use to diagnose the problem or something?

Old May 21st, 2014, 02:32 PM   #9
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc84 View Post
This is getting worse and I think it's going to cause a problem soon. Anyone have a recommendation of a guide to use to diagnose the problem or something?
You will need to take the fairing off so you can see exactly where the leak is. If coolant is leaking from the top of the engine, it is most likely leaking from the coolant pipe attached to the head (just above the carbs). There is an o-ring that seals the connection.

If it is leaking below and all the bolts are tight it's either leaking at the water pump gasket or the coolant pipe o-ring
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2014, 03:11 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
replace the crush washers on the coolant drain plugs?