Anyone wanna buy this for me?

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/1739837141.html
JeepSpeed18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #2
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

How about this, I'll pony-up for this bike for you now if you sign a contract that next year you will buy me a Ducati 848 with the dry slipper clutch kit and Termignoni exhaust / ECU upgrade?

Deal?

Note: The Ducati may be a little more expensive than this Kawi you want.

Seriously though, that's a great bike. I was after an '03 ZX-6RR a month or two ago but missed it. '03 - '07 were good years for 'em.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #3
JeepSpeed18
ninjette.org member

Name: Jared

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Ha Ha sounds like a deal. I want that bike so bad but I'll probably kill myself. Thats too much power for me for a first bike.

Old May 20th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #4
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

You can buy a left over 09, which is a much better bike, for around the same price from the dealer right now!

Old May 20th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #5
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Meh, yes and no... I'd say some things but you may have heard it all before and it could toss the thread into the fire, but more than power I'd suggest sitting on a few supersports so you know you like the position for what you will be folding yourself into while learning the ropes. I think that more than power is a problem for new riders.

Go after the dream!

Old May 20th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #6
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Aaron

Im hoping to get a zx6r whitin the next year if my cash flow allows it. I like the 2010 model alot. The 07 model is sweet too..
GeorgiaHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #7
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Buying new bikes is for suckers

It's all about the old stuff
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #8
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
Buying new bikes is for suckers

It's all about the old stuff
I'm of the same nature with an eye to the future and the present.

Gimme my Ninja as a daily commuter and "legal" road carver, a sick modern Ducati superbike for the track and a Vincent Black Shadow for those special rides.

I don't want much.

Old May 20th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #9
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

There was a pretty sketchy thread about this bike on KawiForums. Here is a link to it. Also the threat shows that it's sold already.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #10
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofo View Post
I'm of the same nature with an eye to the future and the present.

Gimme my Ninja as a daily commuter and "legal" road carver, a sick modern Ducati superbike for the track and a Vincent Black Shadow for those special rides.

I don't want much.
ah that black shadow does intrigue me....I'd throw in a street fighter in there as well...for showin' off

Old May 20th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #11
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
You can buy a left over 09, which is a much better bike, for around the same price from the dealer right now!
I agree. 09s are all over the place. You can get a great deal right now. And as far as power goes, there is no problem with getting a 600 as your first bike. If there was no 250, most beginners would have a 600 or 650.

Like sofo says, make sure the riding position is ok with your first.

And the Shadow is pretty hot. One of the few cruisers that makes my head turn when passing by.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #12
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoKawi View Post
I agree. 09s are all over the place. You can get a great deal right now. And as far as power goes, there is no problem with getting a 600 as your first bike. If there was no 250, most beginners would have a 600 or 650.
I'm pretty sure that if there was no 250, most people would opt for one of the 500's that's available.

The reason most people don't advocate getting a 600 SS as your first bike isn't just the power alone. These things are hard to ride....responsibly anyway. That doesn't even factor in whatever jittery steering geometry today's middleweights come with for whatever reason. Sure a noob CAN ride one and survive, but just keep in mind that those bikes weren't designed with 'ease of riding' in mind....bikes like the 250 are.

That being said...I for one have no problem with the fast progression, but will usually advise people to start on something manageable and cheap as a first bike.

Old May 20th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #13
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Why are there so many '09 ZX-6Rs around? Was the BPF expected to sell way more than it did?

Old May 20th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #14
JeepSpeed18
ninjette.org member

Yeah thats why I plan to start on a 250. Besides I drive my Jeep like it's a ferrari so if I got a bike capable of rediculous speeds I will most likely do that a lot and end up splattered on the road. I don't trust myself on a 600 yet.

Old May 20th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #15
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

ECONOMY There are leftovers everywhere
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #16
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXTrek View Post
ECONOMY There are leftovers everywhere
Mental note... bike shopping in the 'states this August.

Old May 20th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #17
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that if there was no 250, most people would opt for one of the 500's that's available.

The reason most people don't advocate getting a 600 SS as your first bike isn't just the power alone. These things are hard to ride....responsibly anyway. That doesn't even factor in whatever jittery steering geometry today's middleweights come with for whatever reason. Sure a noob CAN ride one and survive, but just keep in mind that those bikes weren't designed with 'ease of riding' in mind....bikes like the 250 are.

That being said...I for one have no problem with the fast progression, but will usually advise people to start on something manageable and cheap as a first bike.

Nobody needs a supersport for a first bike

Old May 20th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #18
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Quote:
Dealers sell alot of new old stock on E-Bay

Old May 20th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #19
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

dealership I got the 250 at has 2 08' zx6rs I am gonna keep an eye on them, I can easily handle them i got the 250 for commuting, when I buy the wife a new house next year then I get a new present..
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #20
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

09 otd $7500 right now where I live. I'd offer $6500 for it

Old May 20th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #21
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from. I just think people should get what they want. Yes, they should know about the pros and cons of a more CCs and the geometry of the super sports. But, anyone can learn to ride them. I think you said the right word, "responsibly". If they don't have any self-control, they can put themselves in danger on any bike, whether it's a 1000cc bike or a 250. I just got finished looking at a video in one of the threads of a guy intentionally trying to knee-down on a public road, with cars around, while turning at a stop light. He was on a 250! I don't know of any super sport riders that would try that. Maybe on the back roads and twisties. But, not at a stop light.

I'm a firm believer that if my cousin can learn to ride an 02 GSXR 750 as his first bike, anyone can ride anything as a starter bike. Not because he's a bad rider, but because he had no experience with bikes at all. He respected the bike and knew his limits.

Old May 20th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #22
JeepSpeed18
ninjette.org member

My reason for getting a 250 first is the fuel economy the price and the fact that I would much rather be ok with laying it down that my dream bike.

Old May 20th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #23
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSpeed18 View Post
My reason for getting a 250 first is the fuel economy the price and the fact that I would much rather be ok with laying it down that my dream bike.
Good point. I'd hate to lay that Ducati you are buying me down, the exhaust cans are $3k alone!

Old May 20th, 2010, 10:04 PM   #24
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
09 otd $7500 right now where I live. I'd offer $6500 for it
Holy crap! With the CDN / USD exchange rate being what it is that is still an amazing deal.

Old May 20th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #25
JeepSpeed18
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Good point. I'd hate to lay that Ducati you are buying me down, the exhaust cans are $3k alone!
Ha Ha Ha yeah I don't want to have to replace that exhaust. lol

Old May 21st, 2010, 05:46 AM   #26
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Big fat +1 here

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from. I just think people should get what they want. Yes, they should know about the pros and cons of a more CCs and the geometry of the super sports. But, anyone can learn to ride them. I think you said the right word, "responsibly". If they don't have any self-control, they can put themselves in danger on any bike, whether it's a 1000cc bike or a 250. I just got finished looking at a video in one of the threads of a guy intentionally trying to knee-down on a public road, with cars around, while turning at a stop light. He was on a 250! I don't know of any super sport riders that would try that. Maybe on the back roads and twisties. But, not at a stop light.

I'm a firm believer that if my cousin can learn to ride an 02 GSXR 750 as his first bike, anyone can ride anything as a starter bike. Not because he's a bad rider, but because he had no experience with bikes at all. He respected the bike and knew his limits.
No I understand...and I try not to harp on people too much about getting 'the bike they want'. My main issue with people starting on SS's is the awkwardness of the bent over seating position. Trying to master the little nuances of riding (slow speed control, creeping up to a left turn, making slow right turns, operating the turn signals, rear brake, etc) is difficult enough as it is the first couple of months out on the streets. This doesn't even factor in the other soft skills like learning to avoid cars trying to run you over, and controlling your panic reactions. Trying to do all of that with little to no experience on a motorcycle while hunched over in that racing position....that's just compounding the issue. Some people are quick studies...most other aren't. I dunno which one of them is which, so I just tell them all the same thing.

A friend of mine started on an R6 last year...and 3 months later ended up crashing and totalling the damn thing after hitting a pothole. I don't think he was riding recklessly, as he's not that type of person, but I wonder if he would've avoided that crash had he been on a more upright seated bike. I'll probably never know, as I try not to tease him about it too much these days, but that extra bit of leverage you get on the controls from a standard seating position can go a long way.

Old May 21st, 2010, 06:22 AM   #27
Anteraan
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
dealership I got the 250 at has 2 08' zx6rs I am gonna keep an eye on them, I can easily handle them i got the 250 for commuting, when I buy the wife a new house next year then I get a new present..
Last month I almost pulled the trigger on a similar deal here. '08 6R, brand new, green with green wheels (hot!) $6,499. If I could have parted with the 250, it would have been a done deal. Yes, the '09 has a better chassis, but I find the '08 design much more pleasing, and I doubt I'll find that last 5% difference in my street riding anyway. If I do any track stuff in the future, it will be the 250 that does it.

Besides, my next bike really should be some kind of tourer, as the 250 is not a good highway bike for me.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2010, 08:47 PM   #28
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
My main issue with people starting on SS's is the awkwardness of the bent over seating position.
I agree. That seating position can be a monster. Neck and back soreness on the SS's are difficult to overcome. It's takes time to learn to ride without being in pain. It took me about 2 weeks to figure out the best ways to sit and stretch while in motion. What a pain (pun intended)!

Old May 21st, 2010, 08:51 PM   #29
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Quote:
I agree. That seating position can be a monster. Neck and back soreness on the SS's are difficult to overcome. It's takes time to learn to ride without being in pain. It took me about 2 weeks to figure out the best ways to sit and stretch while in motion. What a pain (pun intended)!
I'm almost 50 and i love my SS.
Anything over about 30mph my chest is like an airplane wing.
Never been sore on it myself.

Old May 21st, 2010, 09:05 PM   #30
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXTrek View Post
I'm almost 50 and i love my SS.
Anything over about 30mph my chest is like an airplane wing.
Never been sore on it myself.
It absolutely sucks in traffic. Not just regular traffic...I'm talking stuck on the freeway, crawling around at <10km/h for 15 minutes kinda traffic. Worst. Ever.

On that note, after doing that for a week, I finally got used to the seating position. The hand cramps got pretty bad, though.