Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old February 26th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #1
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
CVR turn# 2 CCW

@Rexbo @Nemesis @sierrahotel @Dmented i want to know how you fast guys are taking turn 2 at CVR going CCW (last left before the front straight)

more specifically... the combination of turn 3 and turn 2... are you wide open through turn 3? how much brake do you use for turn 2? just roll off?? which gear are you taking it in? 3rd? then shift to 4th just after the kink, and to 5th at start/finish??

Old February 26th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Nice schematic.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

T3 I have to roll off just for a second on corner entry (its probably possible to keep it pinned but I haven't tried it yet), and T2 I pop down a gear as I turn in to scrub a little speed then get right back on the gas ASAP to get drive onto the front straight. Hopefully I'll have video for ya shortly.
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #4
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

If I'm cruisin' and don't want any bruisin' then I just roll off before my turn in and get on the gas at the apex.

3rd and 4th gear? Are you crazy? No one...I mean no one should be taking that turn in 3rd or 4th.

Old February 26th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Also i've discovered crashing is a way slower way around the track, so try to avoid it.
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #6
cookiebug79
n00b with the b00bs

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250, 2008 EX250, 2001 ZR-7S, 2010 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
If I'm cruisin' and don't want any bruisin' then I just roll off before my turn in and get on the gas at the apex.

3rd and 4th gear? Are you crazy? No one...I mean no one should be taking that turn in 3rd or 4th.
What gear are you in, then? I'm pretty sure I was in 4th, but I was doing the whole effing track wrong. So I would like to know, too. Thanks!
cookiebug79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #7
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

I'd like to know too. I take T3 in 4th gear. Before entering the turn I roll off just a tad to flick the bike for my set lean angle. On the front straightaway I get up to 6th but then immediately have to down shift two gears for T16. So I found I can keep 5th gear and just go down 1 gear for T16. T17 I don't even treat as a turn.

Is there a better way to do it? Maybe Im doing it all Hong
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
hmm... i might be thinking i'm in a different gear than i actually am... so on the back straight i *THINK* i get up to the top of 5th gear right before the 1 marker for turn 10... pop it down two gears before turning into 10, WOT through 9 and 8 then back up 1 gear at the apex of turn 8, i get to the top of that gear and roll off to turn in for turn 7, scrub speed til just after the apex of 7, WOT through 6 and 5, slow roll off just after the apex of 5 coming into the setup for turn 4, back to wot through turn 3,... so at this point i'm in 4th, but then brake and pop down a gear at turn 2... so that's 3rd... i crashed getting back on the gas too fast, all the weight was up front when i gassed it so the rear just slid out. maybe i need to brake earlier? maybe learn some throttle control and roll on smoother? lol

jon says no gas til the apex, i'm wondering, do you pop it down to 2nd gear before you tip in then gas at the apex?

Old February 26th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
Also i've discovered crashing is a way slower way around the track, so try to avoid it.
haha you don't say!

Old February 26th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #10
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Well, since 3rd & 4th is out of the question you have two other gears as an option. Also, you guys have to experiment and discover what works for YOU. And personally I find that thrilling and rewarding when you do DISCOVER for yourself what works and what doesn't. None of this, give me the formula to go faster.

What works for Rexy may not work for me, and vice versa. We both pull 2:02s but our execution is very different. He may be in 5th whereas I may be in 6th. My entry speed may be faster, his slower. His drive out faster, mine not so much.

Pretty sure all the fast guys had to experiment which gearing to take each corner, and when to get on the gas and when not to. We can't give you the winning formula...because...wait for it....wait for it....

....cuz it's all relative. LOL

All I have to say is don't be afraid to experiment. Try going in a bit faster. Try braking a bit later. Try getting on the gas it bit earlier. Try this, try that but do it in moderation and pay attention to how the bike reacts/feels.

Old February 26th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
haha werd.

i completely agree with you jon. i got a little bit... overexcited with my experimenting and crashed out. need to make smaller increments i guess. maybe actually, like... practice. (WE TALKIN BOUT PRACTICE?!) instead of just doing race weekends with 10 minute practice sessions. but it is definitely inspiring/thought provoking hearing how other people take a turn... when you hear a small setup change 2 turns ago leads them into a much better line or whatever... you know, sometimes there are small things you might not always think about or which might not be completely obvious... i should just sign up for ted rich's school.

Old February 26th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #12
JBinSD
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300, '99 SV650 tracked

@alex.s, I remember seeing you standing in the infield, and didn't see your bike at first, and was wondering wtf you were doing standing there. . . CCW not many peeps crash on that turn, but your questions got me thinking, I'm usually never even aware of my gear position, only RPM's, which I've been trying to keep between 10.5-12.5k, driving out of turn 2-1 for the straight I always hit the rev limiter before the S/F line, so I must exit T in 4th or 5th.

Over-analysis can be distracting, but I agree, some variables can be better-defined to add focus to other areas of riding. . .

Gotta admit this stuff is fun. . .
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #13
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

mention failllllllllll
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #14
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
unfortunately, we can't race every day, so watching videos and over-analyzing technique is all we get to satisfy our addiction between rounds

Old February 26th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #15
Dmented
CVMA#747 Ⓓⓜⓔⓝⓣⓔⓓ ⓡⓐⓒⓘⓝⓖ

Name: Darren

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R * 09 Yamaha R6 * 08 CBR 1000RR * 04 NSR 50 * 02 KX 250

I'm a 200lbs phat boi... I take turn two in 4th gear or i bog down the front straight and have little nemesis dudes fly past me..

turn 3 I have figured out a way to pin it, but when my nuts are tight (due to the cold) i roll off for a quick second on corner entry then like i said I pop down a gear as I turn in to turn two or else i ALWAYS run over the rumble strips and loose MAD speed.
**CVMA#747**AFM#747R**M1GP#77**LeoVince*RaceTech*Hotbodies*Cyclemall*Bridgestone *
Motorad*Dainese*PolyMoto*Woodcraft**Visit The Dmented Racing Youtube Channel*
Dmented is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #16
Dmented
CVMA#747 Ⓓⓜⓔⓝⓣⓔⓓ ⓡⓐⓒⓘⓝⓖ

Name: Darren

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R * 09 Yamaha R6 * 08 CBR 1000RR * 04 NSR 50 * 02 KX 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
haha werd.
.. practice. (WE TALKIN BOUT PRACTICE?!) instead of just doing race weekends with 10 minute practice sessions.
but we ain't talkin' bout the game.. we talkin' bout PRACTICE...
**CVMA#747**AFM#747R**M1GP#77**LeoVince*RaceTech*Hotbodies*Cyclemall*Bridgestone *
Motorad*Dainese*PolyMoto*Woodcraft**Visit The Dmented Racing Youtube Channel*
Dmented is offline   Reply With Quote