Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old August 4th, 2016, 11:02 AM   #1
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
A Review of the BELL RS-1

I was looking for a helmet to replace my Icon Airmada, which fit me well but had to be retired due to me slamming my head into the ground last year

I'm on a tight budget, since I'm a full-time student, and was trying to keep my purchase under three hundred dollars. After lots of searching, I came across the BELL RS-1 on sale at Sport Bike Track Gear for under two hundred dollars. Unfortunately, this helmet is discontinued but still on sale at STG. This means buy all the face shields, spare parts and liners right away!

http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/bell-rs-1-helmets/

This review is strictly based off my experience of it at the track.

I purchased mine in the "Liner" graphic in black and white. It was manufactured in January of 2015.

Paint and Graphics

The finish on the helmet is outstanding. It is very glossy, and I could find no imperfections on it. It doesn't chip (I took a rock to the top of the helmet), it's easily cleaned, and the clear coat is holding up well. The graphics look great, but make sure you know they're asymmetrical.

Liner

The liner has a slightly less "fuzzy" texture compared to my Icon Airmada, but it is much more comfortable than an HJC CL-17 or KBC Laguna helmet. It is very comfortable, wicks sweat away fast, and it doesn't retain a smell.

Head Shape and Fit

The RS-1 is slightly "tighter" around the area of the forehead when compared to the long oval head shape of the Icon Airmada. The shape is best describe as narrow. I find no pressure points in the liner, which my HJC had. Essentially I can't feel the seams of the stitching on my scalp.

Visor and View Port

I bought a light smoke shield with my purchase of this helmet. The visors don't distort vision, the anti-fog coating works fantastic, and they're easy to see through :laughs: The visor can be locked in a cracked position, locked down entirely, or be placed in the standard ratchet mode which has several points where the helmet lightly "locks". I've never had the face shield fly up while turning my head.

The view port is far better than the Airmada, and I no longer having trouble seeing up a hill when I'm riding in a corner that has a drastic elevation change (Turn 6 at NYST). I have no issue looking up in the tucked position.

Ventilation and Noise Level

Compared to the HJC or KBC, the Bell RS-1 vents great. I can feel the airflow on my scalp at high speeds and I have no issue with that. The vents are easy to operate in a fast paced environment. There are three controls up front, and several exhaust ports at the rear section of the helmet.

The RS-1 does a pretty good job of reducing wind noise, and I've tested it at about 130 MPH. However, I am a firm believer in the use of ear plugs, so I never ride without them.

If you have any questions comment below

Old August 4th, 2016, 11:12 AM   #2
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I've crash tested one of these pretty hard (I tend to stick with the vortex model though because $$$ and I tend to use them)
Earlier in the season I had a highside in the rain, I landed head first from ~10-15ft in the air. I had a few injuries but there was not a single sign of any head trauma. These helmets are great and hold up very well, can't recommend them enough

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 4th, 2016, 11:22 AM   #3
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
SHARP rates them pretty well.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/bell-rs-1

Old August 4th, 2016, 10:31 PM   #4
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Keep protecting your noggin, it's the only one you get this lifetime

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.