ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 15th, 2017, 09:08 AM   #1
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Speed Triple (Blazing Orange); 2010 Nina 250r (Race Project)

Smile Breaking News for GSXR Shock Conversion

NO MORE WAITING ON DOGBONES FROM SOMEBODY THAT DOESNT ANSWER EMAILS!!!

Yes, yes, I ordered dogbones from the place everyone suggests, but didn't receive any time of confirmation or anything for over 2 weeks. So, needless to say, I disputed my payment and got my money back. I hated it, but I don't just want my money out there with no clue about the status of my order.

So the. I started looking for links from other stock machines. The first I tried was an SV650 (05 I believe). 145mm to our 165. I absolutely loved how high it looked, but there was contact between the shock and the swing arm. More searching, and I found an EX500 dogbone measures to be about 155mm stock!
Slapped it on my bike, and the ride height is perfect after the shock conversion!

Just thought I'd let you all know! This may have been on here before, but the only feedback I ever got was go with the online store for them.

Hope this helps ninjette owners that were late to the game in purchasing their first!
Speedy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old April 15th, 2017, 09:38 AM   #2
jrshooter
ninjette.org guru

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy3 View Post

Yes, yes, I ordered dogbones from the place everyone suggests, but didn't receive any time of confirmation or anything for over 2 weeks. So, needless to say, I disputed my payment and got my money back. I hated it, but I don't just want my money out there with no clue about the status of my order.

So the. I started looking for links from other stock machines. The first I tried was an SV650 (05 I believe). 145mm to our 165. I absolutely loved how high it looked, but there was contact between the shock and the swing arm. More searching, and I found an EX500 dogbone measures to be about 155mm stock!
Slapped it on my bike, and the ride height is perfect after the shock conversion!

Just thought I'd let you all know! This may have been on here before, but the only feedback I ever got was go with the online store for them.

Hope this helps ninjette owners that were late to the game in purchasing their first!
thanks. was not a fan of the other place.
jrshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2017, 11:55 AM   #3
highvoltj
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, 1986 Ninja 250R (x2) '06 ZX6R 636

re: dogbones

Hey Thanks for the Word!! I have a GSXR shock that I want to install on my '08 Ninja 250, but was hesitant to order the dog bones from that guy after reading the reviews of long-standing orders, no support etc. Guess I will look for some EX500 bones!! What year EX500 works?
Thanks!
highvoltj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2017, 12:21 PM   #4
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Speed Triple (Blazing Orange); 2010 Nina 250r (Race Project)

My EBay purchase says 99-09. My searching was much more directed than that. If you google "stock ex500 dog bones" there is a link among the top that goes to a thread that would have the year. I will do some quick looking...

Old April 15th, 2017, 12:24 PM   #5
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

http://www.ex-500.com/15-suspension-...cs/7018?page=1

Last post. 6 7/32" is about 157mm. The user's name was 2001ex500, so I used that to guess ha. Who would have thunk the necessary part for this mod was so close to this community anyways!?

Old April 16th, 2017, 01:55 AM   #6
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy3 View Post

I have an EX500 dogbone that I got with a shock on eBay. I'll never use it so if you're doing the same modification PM me.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2017, 07:46 AM   #7
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
You could just measure and drill holes in the stock dog bones. It works, I've seen it on a bike and the guy is about 8 seconds a lap faster then me at chuckwalla.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2017, 11:06 AM   #8
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
You could just measure and drill holes in the stock dog bones. It works, I've seen it on a bike and the guy is about 8 seconds a lap faster then me at chuckwalla.
I just want to make sure we're talking about the same component. Is a dog bone the same thing as a "uni track" (Kawasaki's term)? It's a cast aluminum component with three bushings in it one of which the shock mounts to. The unit I have is off a 2008 EX500. If you have the same model year, what I have won't be much good to you.

Let me know before I attempt to take the measurements.

Bill

Old April 16th, 2017, 06:15 PM   #9
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I just want to make sure we're talking about the same component. Is a dog bone the same thing as a "uni track" (Kawasaki's term)? It's a cast aluminum component with three bushings in it one of which the shock mounts to. The unit I have is off a 2008 EX500. If you have the same model year, what I have won't be much good to you.

Let me know before I attempt to take the measurements.

Bill
dog bones are a universal term for the 2 pieces of metal that connect the rear spring to the swing arm. they get their name, because they look like a dog bone.

FYI, this is in the 08-12 250R tech talk.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old April 16th, 2017, 07:13 PM   #10
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Very interesting, as I currently own a 91EX, and 98 Ninjette.

According to your findings, you'll be looking for 2nd Gen EX bones 2nd Gen is 94 & up.

Another thing to keep in mind there is an upgrade sold by one of the old member over at EX-500.COM username FOG. He offers bones that raise the rear and helps handling, braking etc...

Here's his link, and a lot members have them and swear by them

http://www.ex-500.com/16-sale/4778-fogbones-sale.html

Quote:
FOGBONES for sale
New postal increase
Yes Still make these parts I will take down this add the minute stop.

do not private message me , I won't see it.

Just to re up this add. Yes I still make these.
as of 2/10/13 postal increase is reflected in posted price.

FOGBONES for 1st & 2nd gen bikes up or down. The uppers raise the rear 1 1/2 “. The downers are custom made to your requests. Same price 42.5 +shipping
See FOG # emartovich@centurytel.net
!st gen (1987-1993) is $74.00
2nd gen (1994- Present is $44.00
Please add shipping costs, $6.50 for US cities $18 to Canada
other countries call. ref: I've shipped to Europe for $XX.
Paypal is best for me, the account # is emartovich@centurytel.net
Other methods : Your check or US money order is fine to:

email Fog For my mailing Address Just realized the new site hides my email address
Emartovich@centurytel.net

A set if installation instructions is packed in each shipment

I have been responding to inquires lately they ask "what FOGBONES do". So I thought this would be a Good place to put an explanation.

The Bones replace a suspension link and raise the rear of the bike about 1 1/2" at the grab handle. Why? These parts change the angle of the Swing Arm to put it more in line with the torque reaction of the tire, this reduces lift under hard drives,also they reduce the fork rake Angle and shorten the trail. these two changes quicken the steering and cause the bike to turn with less counter steering input. Finally braking is much improved by the greater weight shift to the front wheel (which does 90% of the braking). Ground clearance is improved as well allowing increased lean angle. I have added a slight bulge in the center to accommodate the slightly larger springs from the after market.
I developed this product during my long and successful race career (I quit before I was crippled ....too much)
Installation is a simple bolt off/on process that uses only hand tools and a jack or center stand.
I keep 2nd gens in stock and make 1st gens up special to order.

FOG

I get emails inquiring if I still make these, I assure you I do, and I will remove this add the Minuit I don't.

Fog's machine shop service.

I have decided I have some spare time available.
I have a pretty good machine shop and all the tools required to rebuild EX engines,
I am offering this service to all.
I can do.
Complete head re building including replacing seats and cutting them correctly.
I can re hone bore or replace sleeves if required including oversize one if you like.
I can not alter or repair crankshafts, but I can re fit new bearings into you bottom ends (not as simple as it may seem.
I'm retired and can turn your job around quickly for you racers.
Refrences on request.
Email for a quote for you job.

FOG

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2017, 08:07 PM   #11
Ram Jet

Quote:
dog bones are a universal term for the 2 pieces of metal that connect the rear spring to the swing arm. they get their name, because they look like a dog bone.

FYI, this is in the 08-12 250R tech talk.
Oh, you'll have to forgive me. I'm new to mono-shock suspensions. These I don't have. Well, you taught me something. Yeah, I realize now that you were installing the 500 dog bones on a 250. Apologies all around.

Bill

Old April 16th, 2017, 08:13 PM   #12
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
no need to apologize, we are all here to learn new things. you could probably use the dog bones. oh forgot to mention that unitrac is the piece that connects the 3 pieces of the rear suspension.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old April 17th, 2017, 02:26 AM   #13
Ram Jet

Quote:
no need to apologize, we are all here to learn new things. you could probably use the dog bones. oh forgot to mention that unitrac is the piece that connects the 3 pieces of the rear suspension.
Thanks Chris. I'm a long time motorcyclist (50 + years) but new to the little Kaw 250. The bike is in excellent condition for a 2007 but I started out just doing basic maintenance to doing nearly a full blown restoration. I'm not done yet. I work on it it in a car port so spring weather slows me down a-bit. The hot rodding stuff is a new set of Yoshimura slip ons and a main jet change. Oh, I did install an EX500 shock. I jacked the preload up a-bit and the Jury's out on whether I like the mod or not. I've only ridden the bike about 15 miles since I purchased it on 03/05. I'm 100% sure I'm going to like the 15 tooth countershaft sprocket.

Well, good luck with your quest for a set of "dog bones" and I'm going to get back to my Ninja to-do list. Keep us posted on your racing exploits - sounds like fun.

Cheers,

Bill

Old April 20th, 2017, 04:49 PM   #14
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Not breaking news, just lost in the shuffle, and possibly untested before now. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
FYI, the 39111-1133 dogbones used on the Gen2 EX500 are 157.5mm eye to eye. A lot of EX500 owners buy shorter dogbones from FOG to raise the rear end for quicker steering (similar to the topic of this thread), so you might be able to find some for cheap/free (though $17 still isn't bad). Both the 250 and 500 use the same sleeves through the knuckle and swingarm, but the 500 uses 100mm long bolts (92002-1886) while the 250's are 98mm (92153-1831), so the 500 dogbones might possibly be a bit thicker or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Very interesting, as I currently own a 91EX, and 98 Ninjette.

According to your findings, you'll be looking for 2nd Gen EX bones 2nd Gen is 94 & up.

Another thing to keep in mind there is an upgrade sold by one of the old member over at EX-500.COM username FOG. He offers bones that raise the rear and helps handling, braking etc...

Here's his link, and a lot members have them and swear by them

http://www.ex-500.com/16-sale/4778-fogbones-sale.html
If 250 owners want FOGbones, they'll need to figure out what length they need and custom order them. The bow in the middle isn't enough to handle the GSXR spring without spacers either. They're convenient for EX500 owners because FOG has already done the math and can spit out exactly what we need, and they have a bit more room for larger springs (our swingarm limits our upgrade options), but otherwise they're nothing too special (and more expensive than some other options). I have no issues with mine, but they're in a box after the Penske made them unnecessary.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2017, 08:36 AM   #15
USMC_Johnson
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2015 R1, 2011 Ninja 250

If there is really a huge demand for these dog bones in a certain length center to center i can get some whipped up in CAD and see what it would cost to have them made.

Do a group buy or something. They are super simple pieces so they shouldnt cost to much to have made.

I dont want to make a dime off them but if yall want them i can have it done.
USMC_Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.