ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 4th, 2017, 05:36 AM   #1
Thatdudeguybro
ninjette.org member

Name: Dude

Motorcycle(s): 2005 250r, 2005 CBR600RR Race Bike

Intake to Carb Boots

I've R&R'd the carbs on my 07 a few times before. For some reason, though, this time it's just not happening. The boots originally on the bike were not at all holding shape, and would slip off the carbs if you even breathed the wrong way. I even had hose clamps (real ones, not the spring from Kawi) on there to help. They did not. So, I ordered two new ones. They're great, except now I'm having other issues.

I've tried just putting the carbs onto those boots first before putting on the Carb-to-head boots. Being new, they were a little stiff, so I warmed them up using a heat gun and then applied some oil to the outside of the bell on the carb. After a couple of minutes, I had them slipped on. However, they popped out just as I was getting the carbs into the carb-to-head boots.

Ok, tried the same thing again but tossed the hose clamps (causing clearance issues and they actually wind up pulling the boots off when tightened - too wide) and tried to use zip ties. They just will not seat. I've taken the zip ties off, still won't seat. I've put the carb boots on to support them while i try to push the carbs into the intake boots. No luck. They either wind up binding, folding, or the boots get pushed into the airbox. I've tried 'jiggling' the intake to try and get the edges around the bell so it doesn't fold. No luck.

How in the world do you all do this? I mean seriously, I'm pretty good with a wrench, but this thing is starting to make me about as frustrated as the time I did a water pump on a V6 Sebring.

What are your tips and tricks you use for this? Clearly I'm missing some minute detail. Have you developed your own special way to get the Intake-to-Carb boots on? I've been following the procedure (before it didn't work and I went rogue trying to figure out my own way) from the ninja250.org wiki. No luck.

I will also say I'm *this* close to just ordering the K&N double pod filter just for the sake of never having to deal with this crap again; not even for more power. What are the pitfalls of that? Jetting? is that about it?

Thanks for your time and reading my rant!
Thatdudeguybro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2017, 06:29 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Have you separated the airbox and battery box yet? I had similar problems keeping the carb mouth boots in place until I did the separation, and now things are much more manageable. Also it allows you to remove the battery, slide the air box back, and have reasonable room to work on the carbs.

Here's one guy's method of separating the air box and battery boxes: https://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopi...96192cb#830593

I was able to separate them without taking out the air box. I took out the battery, unbolted the air box assembly, and used a hacksaw blade in a handle to carefully cut the two apart as in the description above.

Then I made a couple brackets to keep the air box in place against the carbs so there is no chance of it vibrating off: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=291123

The result is way better than it originally was, and the boots stay on the carbs with just the stock spring clamps.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2017, 10:44 AM   #3
Thatdudeguybro
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Have you separated the airbox and battery box yet? I had similar problems keeping the carb mouth boots in place until I did the separation, and now things are much more manageable. Also it allows you to remove the battery, slide the air box back, and have reasonable room to work on the carbs.

Here's one guy's method of separating the air box and battery boxes: https://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopi...96192cb#830593

I was able to separate them without taking out the air box. I took out the battery, unbolted the air box assembly, and used a hacksaw blade in a handle to carefully cut the two apart as in the description above.

Then I made a couple brackets to keep the air box in place against the carbs so there is no chance of it vibrating off: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=291123

The result is way better than it originally was, and the boots stay on the carbs with just the stock spring clamps.

Wow, I had heard of the battery mod before, but always just assumed (and yes, I did make and ASS of ME, but maybe not U) that it would facilitate removal and not necessarily install. Just didn't click with me regarding install.

Doing it tonight. Thanks!!

Btw, did you fab those airbox brackets, or did you find them and modify them?

Old May 4th, 2017, 12:08 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I made the brackets from some aluminum stock. The shape isn't critical, as long as the tank doesn't hit them. Once you get the coolant tank on the left and the electrical stuff on the right loosened up and swung out of the way, you can carefully saw them apart as in the photos. Just stop and look at what's happening a few times along the way so you're sure you're sawing the right thing.

The improvement is so big that I wonder why Kaw didn't make them separate in the first place.

Old May 5th, 2017, 04:51 AM   #5
Thatdudeguybro
ninjette.org member

Got it done last night. I actually didn't use a hacksaw; just used a heat gun to soften the plastic and a serrated knife. Worked pretty well, but she ain't pretty Need to find a way to make brackets or find something existing to use. I have a couple of ideas.

Gotta say, that made things so, so, so much easier. Once I had the battery box out, carbs were fully installed in 10 minutes. Compare that to the ~4-5 hours I spent cursing and making exaggerated gestures at the bike.

Thanks again for your help!

Old May 5th, 2017, 06:41 AM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Good, and you were creative too. Brackets like I made are not mandatory. I don't think most guys bother, but you'd need good screw-band type clamps on the carb intakes. The thing that bothered me was when I put the rubber battery strap on, it pulled back on the airbox, and the whole reason I cut the battery box off was I couldn't get the boots to stay on the carbs.

Old May 5th, 2017, 09:20 AM   #7
Thatdudeguybro
ninjette.org member

Yeah, I realized that, but I do want something to secure the airbox because I'm seeing the same thing/having the same thoughts. I don't want them to slip off. Granted, if they do, it'll be MUCH easier to fix!

Old May 5th, 2017, 10:07 AM   #8
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Battery box MOD is worth it, especially if your constantly messing with your carbs

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote