ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 28th, 2017, 05:44 PM   #161
frud
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki Ninja 250

My problem isn't speed, it's that my bike doesn't feel stable above about 60 mph. It feels like the back tire shakes a bit but I'm not sure if that's what it is. This is the first and only bike I've ever ridden so I don't know if it's normal or not. Has anyone else experienced this?
frud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2017, 07:21 AM   #162
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
could be a few things, wheels out of balance, rear wheel not aligned or rear wheel not tightened to spec. could be more but those are what i would check first.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 29th, 2017, 08:18 AM   #163
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

Ive done about 105-110mph on 6 gear very close to the redline. I try not to go up that high, only when the conditions permit. I usually cruise from 80-95mph which is no problem for this short stroke engine.

I'm debating of taking out the airbox and getting another tune, but for now the little 250 great.
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2017, 11:37 AM   #164
frud
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Cool, I'll see if I can get those things checked out. Hopefully it's an easy fix
frud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2017, 10:48 PM   #165
MLR
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

I haven't got a secluded road where I could attempt to achieve top speed, the local constabulary would appreciate the ensuing fund raising for the government's coffers though.

My does get 60kph at 13krpm in first though.

I belive its around 100 at 13 in 3rd, maybe.....

15/42
MLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2017, 06:22 AM   #166
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
And once you're up to about 25 mph or so, you can downshift and get in the powerband any time you like. I gotta put my 42 rear on (15 already on front)
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2017, 07:28 AM   #167
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by frud View Post
My problem isn't speed, it's that my bike doesn't feel stable above about 60 mph. It feels like the back tire shakes a bit but I'm not sure if that's what it is. This is the first and only bike I've ever ridden so I don't know if it's normal or not. Has anyone else experienced this?
A Chris noted - check your tires. Pressure, alignment of the rear wheel, and balance (requires removal and balancer).

Check the date on the tires also. It could be time to replace them. Cycle tire last about 5 years, and degrade significantly after that. The date is on the sidewall of the tire - 4 digits in an oval like "2509". The first 2 are the week (25th week), the second are the last 2 digits of the year (2009). Also look for cracking inside the grooves and any "scalloping" of the tread. So if those are original tires from '08 (maybe produced in '07) it's time for new ones - doesn't matter how many miles are on them or how much tread is left. You are dealing with aging of the rubber only.

Also confirm your chain is in good condition, lubed, and adjusted properly.

There's a bunch of good How-To videos here - http://www.canyonchasers.net/video/
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2017, 11:53 AM   #168
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frud View Post
First and easiest thing to check is tire pressure. Note the recommended pressure on each tire and fill to that amount. You'd be surprised how much difference even 5psi can make on the way the bike feels. Once you build up more experience you will be able to feel when your tires begin losing pressure.

When I started on my 250 years ago I made a similar post on this forum about how unstable my bike felt above 50mph. Turns out that all of that instability came from me and not the bike. My nervousness was causing me to grip tightly to the bars and the desire to provide continuous steering input on the handlebars out of fear that I would fly off the road or tip over at any moment. Your problem may be more real than imagined, but it likely is not a "problem".

Relax your arms and take weight off of the handlebars at speed. That will help. More time in the saddle will make you more comfortable. But certainly check your tire pressure, tire condition, and wheel alignment. Its very likely that these things will correct any minor negative handling issues and you will be riding more comfortably in no time. Take your time and stay safe.
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2017, 12:36 PM   #169
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
A tire can be shot without visible damage.

When I bought my track bike at the end of the '15 season the tires looked like they might still have a day or two left in them, so I decided to defer the purchase of new tires until the following year and ride one day to get to know the bike.

I got a serious vibration at about 80 mph. It was the rear tire. Despite still looking okay it was done. Fortunately I had a spare take-off with me so I swapped and bingo... perfect.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 1st, 2017, 01:30 PM   #170
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
A tire can be shot without visible damage.
Good point. I bought a bike with what looked like good tires. No visible damage and lots of tread left. First ride I knew something was wrong. Turns out there was a hard spot in both tires where the bike rested during extended storage. Wouldn't have known it just looking at them but had I run my hand over the entire surface of the tire I wouldve certainly felt it.

Old May 15th, 2017, 06:50 AM   #171
Thinker
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Nic

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250

Just did over 200 miles yesterday, 100+ each way to and from work. It wasn't super comfortable, not that I expected it to be but overall wasn't too bad. Speed limit is 70 majority of the way, I stayed around 80(according to speedo) most of the time which had my tach at about 9.5 - 10k. I did top it out going down a slight decline in full tuck early in the morning when the road was empty, hit 100-ish mph, redlined. Return trip was super windy but staying calm is key in those situations so nothing exciting IMO. Oil looks healthy through sight-glass but is too new to change so I'll have to wait to check filter, curious about it from recent shim job I did also. I pray I did no damage staying at those higher RPM's for such a long time, I finished the ride on surface streets and had all the power I had beforehand and everything sounded/felt great soooo fingers crossed!!!
Thinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2017, 06:54 AM   #172
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
Just did over 200 miles yesterday, 100+ each way to and from work. It wasn't super comfortable, not that I expected it to be but overall wasn't too bad. Speed limit is 70 majority of the way, I stayed around 80(according to speedo) most of the time which had my tach at about 9.5 - 10k. I did top it out going down a slight decline in full tuck early in the morning when the road was empty, hit 100-ish mph, redlined. Return trip was super windy but staying calm is key in those situations so nothing exciting IMO. Oil looks healthy through sight-glass but is too new to change so I'll have to wait to check filter, curious about it from recent shim job I did also. I pray I did no damage staying at those higher RPM's for such a long time, I finished the ride on surface streets and had all the power I had beforehand and everything sounded/felt great soooo fingers crossed!!!
Shouldn't be a problem, just keep an eye on your oil level.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2017, 07:10 AM   #173
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
I pray I did no damage staying at those higher RPM's for such a long time, I finished the ride on surface streets and had all the power I had beforehand and everything sounded/felt great soooo fingers crossed!!!
Assuming that nothing else is wrong with you bike, running at those RPMs for long periods of time is perfectly fine. Its what sportbikes are designed to do. Thats the whole point of having a red line. If running below red line was harmful to the engine and thus would cost Kawasaki money in warranty claims, you could bet they would move that line down. You get used to the sound of the engine dont worry.

Old May 15th, 2017, 07:11 AM   #174
Thinker
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Nic

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250

Good point!
Thinker is offline   Reply With Quote