ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 11th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #1
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Carb Issues

I've searched, but there's soo many potential problems that occur with carbs that it's hard to find a similar case or the answer im looking for.

First off, the problem is from the bike sitting for too long. I ended up putting it in a shed at a freinds since my neighbors bike was stolen, and with the bike not being as easily accessed, time flew by and before I realized it, a few months had gone by without it being started.

Symptoms:
Bike will start fine with the choke on. Turning the choke off causes the RPMs to drop and the bike to die, even once warmed up.

I brought the idle up so that the bike will run without the choke on and it will sit there and mostly idle fine. Every so often a slight bump or drop in the idle, but it will idle pretty well.

Touching the gas will cause the bike to bog out and die instantly.

If I get the RPMs up (very very carefully with the gas, or using the choke to bring them up, then using the gas to keep them up while turning the choke off) the bike runs perfectly at about 6k-redline.
When reved I can let it drop to about 4k, but it's very unresponsive and boggy to get it to rev back up, but as soon as 6k comes it's perfect.

Attempts
So far I have...
-siphoned the tank and replaced the fuel
-attempted to drain the carbs

When draining the carbs, gas continued to run non-stop from the carbs (petcock set to on, not prime). So I'm assuming the floats are stuck.

I really don't want to deal with the headache of pulling the carbs and taking them apart. I've done it on my dirtbikes before, it's not hard, but this is a little more since it's a dual carb setup and that scares me a little trying to match them back up and run right.

Is there any solution I could try without pulling the carbs? Maybe taking the tops off to access the needles and spraying some carb cleaner or something else in there, then draining the carbs again?

Old November 11th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #2
kkim

drain tank completely, refill w/ about a gallon of gas, add an ounce or two of seafoam to the mixture (more if you think it might help), get the gas into the carbs and let sit overnight so the seafoam/gas mixture will soften up/dissolve whatever is plugging your pilot jets. If you're lucky, the bike will gradually improve the next time you try to start it. if not, leave the mixture in there and hope it continues to work. if it doesn't, you will need to pull the carbs to clean the pilot jets.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #3
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Advise from the 250 tech king himself.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.