ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old August 21st, 2012, 07:17 PM   #1
Dave313
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250

Teaching a New Rider

I'm going to help a friend learn to ride a bike in the next week or so and was going to take him from never having ridden to...well as far as we get in the few sessions we'll have before the MSF class he's taking. I was just going to go through the some of the basic first day MSF stuff with him so he has some experience before he takes it. (He doesn't want to be totally new to bikes when he takes the course)

Finding the friction zone and power walking will be the first things we work on. After that I'm not sure what to have him try.

So my question is: What do you feel were the most effective basic MSF training exercises?
Dave313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:07 AM   #2
Jim Moore
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninjette, 98 CBR600, 98 VFR800, 2000 BMW R1100RS, Kymco Movie 150

Here's my recommendation. DON'T DO IT. This is a fabulous way to trash your motorcycle, lose a friend, and lose a lot of money. The MSF course is staffed by professionals who have taught hundreds of new riders. Let them do it. If he drops one of their bikes, he says, "sorry," and hops back on. If he drops your bike, there's angst, drama, and hard feelings.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:25 AM   #3
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Ditto...
If he wants to learn that bad...let him do it on his own bike.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:29 AM   #4
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Here's my recommendation. DON'T DO IT. This is a fabulous way to trash your motorcycle, lose a friend, and lose a lot of money. The MSF course is staffed by professionals who have taught hundreds of new riders. Let them do it. If he drops one of their bikes, he says, "sorry," and hops back on. If he drops your bike, there's angst, drama, and hard feelings.
^ This

A better alternative would be to watch sweet biking youtube vids (not the instructional ones, just cool ride vids, crash vids, etc), plus gear vids on Revzilla. Get him excited about bikes and gear, and let him get started at MSF. It's not the ONLY good way to learn, but IMO it's the best.
bfpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:30 AM   #5
dcx4610
ninjette.org member

Name: Daniel

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

As long as you are comfortable with the possibility of them dropping the bike, I think it's a good idea.

I bought my bike before I did the MSF and spent months being frustrated in my drive way learning the basics. I didn't actually get to driving around until the actual MSF but learning the little stuff helped tremendously and I already had a bit of confidence going in.

I would teach them the friction zone over and over again and how to power walk the bike. Other than that, refer them to the MSF site and have them take the pre-test. Let the MSF do the rest.
dcx4610 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:42 AM   #6
jhunter
ninjette.org member

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave313 View Post
He doesn't want to be totally new to bikes when he takes the course
I know a guy who had NEVER driven a bike before and he took the MSF course and passed without a problem and now has his license. The guy doesn't even own a bike yet. He just wanted to do it because his brother and some of his friends were all into bikes so he wanted to join up.

I'm with most others though...unless you're comfortable with the high probability that your bike could get damaged during the learning process, I would just tell him to wait for the MSF class. Now if he has his own bike and he's ok with trashing that, then by all means, let him go at it. But overall, it's probably best to just let him learn at the MSF course.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:38 AM   #7
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Lol, I've been teaching my mom how to ride. She got an old Nighthawk 250 to learn on.

I started her with friction zone first then power walking...did those for a couple hours and a refresher for a few mins on subsequent days.

After that I showed her how to properly use the front & bake brake and also how to properly shift. I let her ride around the parking lot (it's a new & empty lot w/ no hazards) practicing shifting to second, the down to first before the turns.

After she got comfortable doing that, I had her practice and perfect stopping and starting. Starting: a smooth takeoff (she kept wanting to put her left foot on the peg so I had to drill it in her to have both feet on the ground). Stopping: a smooth stop, shifting down to first and left foot down first.

Then she'd ride around and then I'd put my arm up and she'd have to make a quick stop when I did so (not a panic stop w/ a handful of brake though). Rinse and repeat on multiple days until she perfected basic riding.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:10 AM   #8
rjones91
Pro Newbie

Name: Shanii

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Honda CBR 250r......2007 Ninja 250R (sold)

I used this video site when helping a friend learn the basics of riding...

http://www.monkeysee.com/play/10146-...e-a-motorcycle
rjones91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:59 AM   #9
Dave313
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250

Thanks for the concerns. I should have mentioned that he bought a bike in anticipation of completing the class and would be using his own motorcycle during any of our sessions.

I will do the powerwalking with him and then start him on smooth starts and stops. I think that will get him far enough that he'll feel comfortable on the bike. It should also scratch the itch that he gets when looking at it in his garage.
Dave313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:33 AM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i've taught several people how to ride bikes, all of them were on my 250 and none of them crashed it or have since crashed their own bikes. just go slow and make sure they understand each piece before you continue and they will be fine. following the msf guidelines is a good method.

after telling them what all the controls are and how they work (they forget it instantly) i usually start by giving the person a ride so they can feel what leaning far feels like then how much lean going slow is like. after that they get to walk the bike around with the clutch. after they are comfortable with the friction zone have them get going and let the clutch all the way out with the feet dangling, just like 5mph and have them stop. do each step a few times until they are comfortable doing it. each of these little "runs" are in a straight line and they stop and turn the bike around by walking. this is important, remember they cant turn yet. once they can start and go have them try getting up to second then back to first and stop. next is turning. people dont believe you when you tell them about counter steering so take them on a ride and show them. if you are comfortable with them they can reach around and push on the bar to feel it when you are going a decent pace. (its not gay if the balls dont touch) after you get back have them do some low speed turning (they should be relatively comfortable with it by now) and in first gear have them do some figure-8s slowly with assistance from their feet. its more like a bicycle when they are going slow walking it. after that have them drive in a straight line in second gear and counter steer slowly back and forth to weave just a little bit to feel themselves countersteering. make sure you stop them and have them think about what they just did after each step... dont rush them. then have them try a 90 degree turn in second gear by counter-steering. from a stop, take off, shift to second, push on the bar and turn, straighten out then come to a stop. have them do it a couple times. try a full 180 turn next. after that the only real important thing is practicing a few harder stops. have them slowly ease up, you dont want them to lock anything up. i tell people dont bother with rear brake but people vary on that belief. remember to pick a safe spot with plenty of open asphalt. (mall parking lot on an empty day?) once they can do this much they can pretty much ride, they know the minimal basics. if they have a permit remind them about all the signals and stuff and lead them on a very slow, smooth and casual ride around town. when you get back buy your new riding buddy a beer. after that theres what i think is more of 'continued education' that really you practice every day you ride, being smart and picking your battles. its hard to teach and im not going to pretend to be good at teaching but practicing emergency skills like hard braking, sudden swerves and handling the bike over rough terrain or obstacles definitely will make your job easier when the time comes.

also, dont let them touch anything with more than 30hp.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:34 AM   #11
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 02:44 PM   #12
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Name: OC

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, 2012 Ducati Monster 696 (sold), 2012 Ninja 250 (sold)

if you decide to go ahead....

here are some thoughts from a complete newbie for what they are worth....

To give you some background, about 20 years ago, I was riding mopeds to school and a friends 125cc around the block a couple of times, other than that never owned or rode a motorcycle. I took the written test in mid July, passed the MSF in late July, bought gear after getting my M1 and a week or so later bought my bike.

While I very much enjoyed the MSF and did pass the test (went outside the figure 8 box, but other than that no big problem), I did feel that the very basics were not covered long enough on the first day. Might have had to do with the fact that most of the guys were already riding or had been practicing on a bike they had bougth before the class, but for me as a total newb, I would have liked some more time devoted to very basics things like the following:

- when and how to use the friction zone, practicing using the friction zone
- smooth use of breaks
- smooth take offs and coming to a stop in traffic (not the quick stop type, just some pointers how to slow down most effectively and safely on the street)
- downshifting
- proper fitment of gear
- use of choke

Please don't get me wrong, I had fun at the class and am in no way knocking the MSF (I think it should be a must for all riders). In fact, I am pretty sure they touched on most of these points, but it was fairly quick before moving on to the next exercise. If I had the luxury of somebody showing me around a bike before going to class, I think these are the points that would have helped me most in preparing for the class.

Again, I am absolutely no expert, the above is just my personal experience of what I think would have benefitted me most prior to the MSF.

Cheers.
OCMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 05:30 PM   #13
R1Chronicles
Rambling Madman

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): R1 07

This is how I teach people to ride for the first time ... (Remember I'm different than most ... lol)

All gear on including helmet, they just gotta get used to sweat'n in gear.

Explain the functions of all levers, explain proper braking methods. Take your time here and let them get comfy on the bike.

Bike not running, yard stick in hand, stand in front of the bike and ask them to perform as if they are riding in a real environment and do the actions your requesting. This exercise goes on until they can perform each action without thinking about it, if they hesitate in any request keep on going. Some just take a long time for it to become a natural action. Take a break talk some more on theory of all the required actions, then repeat the exercise. Be redundant and mix it up, throw a surprise in once in awhile. Dog jumps in front of you what do you do?

Example.
Question: Show me how to start the bike?
Repsonse: key, switch, clutch, starter button (they don't turn on the bike though, everything is done in example)

Question: Pull the clutch in.
Response: they pull the clutch in
Question: Put it in first gear
Response: they put it in gear properly, this doesn't have to go in gear but the motion has to be correct (explain it'll be easier when it's running)

You get the idea, you go through every possible combination of hand and foot movement that will be required until they do it without thinking. Most new riders get into trouble because they take to long thinking about were there foot or hand needs to go. Do a lot of braking exercises. (Bike with center stand required for this)

Oh yeah, back to the yard stick, if they fail an action, hit em hard. Remember there in riding gear and it has to be hard so they feel it. If they complain, just say "what if that was a car?"

Once your comfortable with them knowing the required actions and they are not taking a long to to think about what to do, ask them to start the bike for real. Ask them to put it in gear, with you now standing beside the bike. Tell them to let go of the clutch, have them purposely stall the bike by dumping the clutch. This gets them over the fear of "what if I dump the clutch", let them experience it.

For cones, I use paper coffee cups, they don't feel it if they hit it but see the result after each exercise.

Slowly make the cone courses harder requiring more skill to manoeuvre as the day goes on, all done in first gear so they learn well how to ride and brake a bike at slow speed.

Then start using gears and picking up the speed once you know they are no longer thinking about what there doing with there hands and feet.

If your teaching them though, make it a fun exercise so they learn properly and want to get back on the bike. No I don't use a yard stick I just make sound effects ... lol (I love making the whimpering dog sound and limping away)

I still think everyone should learn on a dirt bike though, explain the controls once and say, go have some fun.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:48 PM   #14
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
...........It should also scratch the itch that he gets when looking at it in his garage.
http://msf-usa.org/CurriculumMateria...ndbook2011.pdf
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:13 PM   #15
jmisto
ninjette.org member

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

What he said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMagnum View Post
here are some thoughts from a complete newbie for what they are worth....

To give you some background, about 20 years ago, I was riding mopeds to school and a friends 125cc around the block a couple of times, other than that never owned or rode a motorcycle. I took the written test in mid July, passed the MSF in late July, bought gear after getting my M1 and a week or so later bought my bike.

While I very much enjoyed the MSF and did pass the test (went outside the figure 8 box, but other than that no big problem), I did feel that the very basics were not covered long enough on the first day. Might have had to do with the fact that most of the guys were already riding or had been practicing on a bike they had bougth before the class, but for me as a total newb, I would have liked some more time devoted to very basics things like the following:

- when and how to use the friction zone, practicing using the friction zone
- smooth use of breaks
- smooth take offs and coming to a stop in traffic (not the quick stop type, just some pointers how to slow down most effectively and safely on the street)
- downshifting
- proper fitment of gear
- use of choke

Please don't get me wrong, I had fun at the class and am in no way knocking the MSF (I think it should be a must for all riders). In fact, I am pretty sure they touched on most of these points, but it was fairly quick before moving on to the next exercise. If I had the luxury of somebody showing me around a bike before going to class, I think these are the points that would have helped me most in preparing for the class.

Again, I am absolutely no expert, the above is just my personal experience of what I think would have benefitted me most prior to the MSF.

Cheers.
jmisto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:53 AM   #16
redsuns03
ninjette.org member

Name: Rand

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Before I took my MSF course I just rode my mountain bike around the neighborhood

Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:30 AM   #17
Jim Moore
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninjette, 98 CBR600, 98 VFR800, 2000 BMW R1100RS, Kymco Movie 150

Quote:
Thanks for the concerns. I should have mentioned that he bought a bike in anticipation of completing the class and would be using his own motorcycle during any of our sessions.

I will do the powerwalking with him and then start him on smooth starts and stops. I think that will get him far enough that he'll feel comfortable on the bike. It should also scratch the itch that he gets when looking at it in his garage.
In that case, park your bike far off the range and have a ball.