ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 24th, 2014, 06:29 PM   #1
Grasshoppah
ninjette.org member

Name: April

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Tire Suggestions

Any suggestions for tires for my 2009? I was liking the Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3 until I realized get it in the rear tire size was basically impossible. Now checking out the Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 as an option. Since I'm still so new to riding with less than a year experience I'm hoping for some feedback on the Battlax tires as well as suggestions for other brands/styles.
Grasshoppah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #2
Dredgshadow
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2013 600RR, 2009 250r

I hear that the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II are pretty awesome. Seems like they pop up everywhere as the "go to" if you really want tires that can handle some bizzzness.
Dredgshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #3
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredgshadow View Post
I hear that the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II are pretty awesome. Seems like they pop up everywhere as the "go to" if you really want tires that can handle some bizzzness.
It all depends on what you want them for. If you are riding just for fun every few days or maybe some track, then the diablo's or something similar would wear fine. If you commute a lot you prob want something that will last longer, i.e. Kenda's, bridgestone, and yes even IRC's
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #4
Dredgshadow
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2013 600RR, 2009 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
It all depends on what you want them for. If you are riding just for fun every few days or maybe some track, then the diablo's or something similar would wear fine. If you commute a lot you prob want something that will last longer, i.e. Kenda's, bridgestone, and yes even IRC's
Because they wear better down the middle and don't end up "squared off?" JC
Dredgshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #5
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshoppah View Post
....Any suggestions for tires for my 2009?
..... I'm hoping for some feedback on the Battlax tires as well as suggestions for other brands/styles.
See this thread -Review: Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 140/70-17 and 120/70-17 and also have a look @ the NingetteWiki
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 07:23 PM   #6
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
My michelin street radials will fit your bike. They have pretty good grip, not pirelli diablo rosso II grip but good grip nonetheless, and they are estimated to last a good amount of miles.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #7
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Everything end up squared off if all you do is commute. The rosso's will wear much fast but have a steeper starting profile so the bike will tip easier. The IRC and bridgestones are a harder compound and lower profile so it'll take long to get to the cords but you'll start felling the effects of squareness a bit sooner.

for me my rear rosso made it 2900 miles till cords were showing
my rear IRC take off from fellow ninjette members have been lasting about 8000 miles.

I always run racing takeoffs in the front of the bike off the 600's and 1000's since I've got a R6 front wheel and they all seem to last about 7-8000 miles so I change both tire at the same time. If I was still using a stock front wheel I'd go rosso II front and a IRC 140 rear or Michelin pilot road radial rear.

yes you can run a bias-ply rear tire with a radial front, don't let anyone tell you other wise. Also the whole BS about tire are designed to work together so you should always run the same front and rear if mostly marketing. Run the front tire that'll get you the feel you want, then run the rear tire that'll get you the mileage your after.

I've run 5 different brands and 12 models of tires on my bike over the 41,000 miles and aside from the originals only one other set was a matching pair because they were meant for rain riding.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 07:40 PM   #8
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
running a bias ply front with a radial rear is a bad idea though right?

Luckily I'm happy with my current tires and am likely to stick with them for a while.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 07:57 PM   #9
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
running a bias ply front with a radial rear is a bad idea though right?

Luckily I'm happy with my current tires and am likely to stick with them for a while.
A bad idea in that the bike will handle like ****? No

A bad idea because you handicap any advantage of of running a stable radial rear? Probably.

Front tire important the rear can vary a lot and still work fine. I ran a Bridgestone front tire on the rear for about 2000 miles till I could find another good rear IRC. Other then the bike sitting lower it felt fine on the hwys and canyons.

Old April 24th, 2014, 10:34 PM   #10
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredgshadow View Post
Because they wear better down the middle and don't end up "squared off?" JC
No, most all will square off if just commuting down free ways everyday but the diablo's wear out in just a few thousand miles. The harder compound tires will last longer. If money is no option then go for the diablo's. I just personally can't afford new tires every four or five months

Old April 25th, 2014, 07:14 AM   #11
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshoppah View Post
Any suggestions for tires for my 2009? I was liking the Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3 until I realized get it in the rear tire size was basically impossible. Now checking out the Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 as an option. Since I'm still so new to riding with less than a year experience I'm hoping for some feedback on the Battlax tires as well as suggestions for other brands/styles.
I just bought myself the Michelin Pilot Streets. Bought from this website:

http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...th=33_176_1075

By far the cheapest I could find them and included free shipping. They were delivered in two days.

I would highly recommend them.
kennetht is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2014, 11:55 AM   #12
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennetht View Post
I just bought myself the Michelin Pilot Streets. Bought from this website:

http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...th=33_176_1075

By far the cheapest I could find them and included free shipping. They were delivered in two days.

I would highly recommend them.
Damn! their prices are the best I have seen, plus free delivery!

Old April 25th, 2014, 11:57 AM   #13
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
Damn! their prices are the best I have seen, plus free delivery!
InvisiBill found them even cheaper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
http://www.jakewilson.com/ is even cheaper and also has free 3-day shipping. $210 for a set in stock sizes shipped to your door.

110/70R-17 (54H) Michelin Pilot Street Radial Front $99.99
130/70R-17 (62H) Michelin Pilot Street Radial Rear $109.99
140/70R-17 (66H) Michelin Pilot Street Radial Rear $116.99

I'm interested to see how these work out, as the EX500 uses the same sizes. However, I just got a set of Vrossi wheels, so I'm no longer looking at stock sizes... The only possible issue I've seen brought up is that the EX500's frame is quite weak, so the better radial tires might overwhelm other parts of the bike.
kennetht is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2014, 12:00 PM   #14
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

diablo rosso II, my set has been mostly commuting, some chill twisties and one track day. it is said they were only suppose to last for 5000 miles, mine have like 7 something thousand with probably another thousand left in the middle. Could definitely do quite a few sessions at the track since the edges have like nothing on them
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2014, 12:08 PM   #15
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
diablo rosso II, my set has been mostly commuting, some chill twisties and one track day. it is said they were only suppose to last for 5000 miles, mine have like 7 something thousand with probably another thousand left in the middle. Could definitely do quite a few sessions at the track since the edges have like nothing on them
How you guys are getting triple the mileage out of the Rosso rear then me I'll never understand

Old April 25th, 2014, 08:03 PM   #16
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
How you guys are getting triple the mileage out of the Rosso rear then me I'll never understand
im just that good at being slow
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2014, 06:37 AM   #17
tubarney
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2010 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Maybe average ambient temp or tire pressure? My Rosso's seem to shred in anything over 88F, more with lower tire pressures..
Does it get that warm in Cali?

My Rosso's are almost slick after 2500 miles? Most of that was in summer. I'm was running low tire pressure too as well so that will contribute.
tubarney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2014, 06:42 AM   #18
Grasshoppah
ninjette.org member

Name: April

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Thanks for the input and suggestions!

I went with the Michelin Pilot Street Radials Now to continue to learn about tires and how the bike rides on tires different than the only ones I've ridden on so far! I only have about 2000 miles in on my bike so I have lots to learn!
Grasshoppah is offline   Reply With Quote