ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 18th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #1
AgentCircus
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Question Noob gas questions

I just got my 2006 EX250, and I have some questions about gas. I searched around and found nothing, and one of my favorite sites is down right now (faq.ninja250.org).

- I knew that there was no fuel gauge, but I also noticed that there's no dummy light?
- How do I know when to switch to reserve? Should I be looking for a certain number on the trip meter?
- What kind of range do you guys typically get? The bike is stock (I think) except for a Muzzy Exhaust (Full System)
- I'm going to do my first fill up today. How high should I fill it to?
- How do you guys calculate your gas mileage? Do you guys just fill it to the same spot each time, then divide the gallons by the miles on the trip meter?

Thanks!
AgentCircus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #2
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

I have an '09, but think people fill up around the 200 miles. I mainly depends on your riding style.
Just fill up to the top - you can look inside the tank as the gas rises. Try to keep the bike upright and level.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #3
AgentCircus
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
I have an '09, but think people fill up around the 200 miles. I mainly depends on your riding style.
Just fill up to the top - you can look inside the tank as the gas rises. Try to keep the bike upright and level.
Thanks. So when do you think I should flip it to reserve?

Old July 18th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #4
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

I would flip to "reserve" only if you start to run out of gas. Try to fill up before you have to flip to reserve - not that it does any harm. The bike will start to bog-down as you run out of gas, you can flip to reserve then.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #5
AgentCircus
ninjette.org member

Great. Thanks for the help.

Old July 18th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #6
kyl18b
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja EX250-F

I usually fill up around 150 miles on the trip meter just to be safe. Nothing worse than riding along the highway and stalling out because you have to switch to reserve.
kyl18b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #7
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

On average the pre-gen 250 gets about 50-60mpg. It's rated for 50-70mpg but most people I have seen get closer to 55mpg average overall. I fill mine up around 200 miles give or take.

As for using the reserve. You should also try using it once in awhile even when not low on gas just to help keep it clean and flowing so it doesn't get clogged up with sediment. The last thing you want is to start getting the sputtering of low gas, turn to reserve and have it stall completely cause it's clogged.

I keep my bike upright and level as possible, then fill it to the top. Then I do just like you said; take the miles on the trip meter and divide it by how much I just put in. I usually am getting around 50+. I do have a yoshi 2-1 exhaust and a jet kit which is why mine is slightly lower.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #8
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
"I keep my bike upright and level as possible, then fill it to the top."

Those statements are both incorrect and may lead to gas spilling out of your tank if it gets too hot out. The bike should be sitting on it's sidestand and you fill the gas up to the bottom of the filler neck in the tank, like in this diagram attached. You need some room in the tank to allow for expansion and also if you fill it all the way up to the top it may spill all over you and the hot engine when you start to ride.
Reset the odometer each time you fill the tank and then when you reach 150-160 miles just to be safe. You may get stuck with no reserve if the little tube on the petcock falls off in the tank and you are effectively riding on reserve 'till you finally run out of gas.
Attached Images
File Type: png gasfill.png (9.5 KB, 8 views)
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #9
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I usualy start looking for a gas station when I hit 200 miles on the tripmeter. I have let the fuel level go down until I had to switch to reserve several times and it starts sputtering at 200 to 240 miles so I start looking at 200. I also found that I can go anywhere between 40 and 50 miles on reserve. If I am going to go on a long trip then I use austexjg's techique and fill the bike upright and level filled all the way to the top since I know I will be bringing the level down before I have to stop to stretch.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #10
ReDnEcK
ninjette.org member

Name: JeFFy

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

i get about 160 miles from a full to the top, bike on the center stand tank of 87 octane gas. i ride between 9k and 12k most of the time though. i use the "shake the bike" method if I forget to use my trip meter when I fill up.

edit: just filled up today, pumped 3.1 gallons costing me $9.50... had 140 miles on the trip which comes out to about 45 miles per gallon! again, i spend most of my time between 8k and 12k!!!

Last futzed with by ReDnEcK; August 10th, 2010 at 07:34 PM.
ReDnEcK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #11
Bleak21
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninjette

I just ran out of gas today cruising down the interstate (I had reset the trip monitor 15 miles after I got gas, d'oh). I was getting off at the next exit to get some anyway, but it startled me at first. It was a fun adventure nonetheless.

You know when you're out when as you hold the throttle at your speed, you feel that you have to give it more throttle to keep speed. The RPM's will stay at the level pre-running out until you run out of throttle pull to keep it going. Then you're basically gliding, hopefully somewhere safe.

Mom didn't tell me anything about switching to reserve while moving, so I pulled over and switched to reserve. I dunno about anyone else, but it took a few failed starts for me before the reserve gas got flowing. I was able to make it another 14 miles to a station on the reserve (riding conservatively+aerodynamically).
Bleak21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #12
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

If you look down at the petcock when you're sitting on the bike at rest, and reach down and put your hand on the lever, you will learn where it is. You should practice this when you are not riding to get a feel for it and how it works, so when you are riding and the engine starts to crap out, you can reach down without looking at it, switch to reserve and never miss a beat. No reason to have to stop and pull off the road which may even be more dangerous.
It's also not a good thing to be in gear at speed with the engine out of fuel and not running. Pull in the clutch if it dies and get off the road if you can't switch it to reserve before it quits.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote