ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 24th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #1
rph12
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Red face Another "what would you pay for"...

(Disclaimer: As soon as I get a bike, I promise to post more interesting things. For now, I'm stuck with these kinds of posts. I love all of your advice though, so don't stop!)

I found bike locally from a shop that seems to work mostly in rebuilt bikes. The one I'm specifically looking at is an 06 Ninja 250 with about 8000 miles on it. It has a rebuilt title, but the owner of the dealer says the bike is redone and ready for inspection.

So, based off this (very little, at best) information, what would you consider a fair price for the bike?

Here is a link, try to formulate your idea before being influenced by the asking price >.<

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcd/2669973227.html

Thanks guys and girls, I really appreciate all the help as I try to get my feet wet with my own first bike
rph12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Rebuilt titled 5 year old bike that was $3K when brand new. $1000 - $1300 seems about right if it truly is in good running order. A bit less if it needs new tires/brakes/chain/whatever.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #3
rph12
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Rebuilt titled 5 year old bike that was $3K when brand new. $1000 - $1300 seems about right if it truly is in good running order. A bit less if it needs new tires/brakes/chain/whatever.

So I won't look like a fool walking in there and trying to get that down to 1300?? What would you consider a good haggle strategy for this (if you can think of one ha).

Thanks, also, for the speedy response!

EDIT:: I will be buying this in cash, so that can be kept in mind...

Old November 24th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I wouldn't pay over $1000 for this bike.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2011, 11:27 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

"Hi, would you take $1300 in cash that I'm itching to give to you right now? No, OK. See ya."

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Just to give you an idea, I bought my 2007 Ninja 250r with 9000mi for $1900 and it had a clean title.
AFM #676

Old November 24th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #7
rph12
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I wouldn't pay over $1000 for this bike.
Because...? Just wondering!

@Alex: Cheap use ninjas are few and far between in this area I feel like, and I *am* itching to try and pull one while the few deals that seem to be coming around this winter aren't eaten up already. I already just *barely* missed trading my 95 jeep cherokee for a 2009 Ninja with like 5k miles on it, I don't think I can take another missed opportunity >.< But, yes, I feel as though saying that will be a great start hahaha. I plan on having this bike for about a year before upgrading to a new/newer Ninja (I am comfortable staying with a 250 for now, being a college student at an urban college).

Old November 24th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #8
rph12
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Just to give you an idea, I bought my 2007 Ninja 250r with 9000mi for $1900 and it had a clean title.

See, you make an excellent point. I've seen a couple deals of that sort in my five long, grueling months of craigslisting day and night, every day. I am actually already planning on going out to look at another bike tomorrow that is an 05 with 5500 miles on it; however, this bike has been *sitting* in storage for two years. He claims battery replacement and regular oil change, but I feel a little nervous as to if he actually took proper precautions and steps to ensure the bike doesn't develop problems (Tank rust, carbs clogged, etc). This guy claims it starts up and runs, but what if something comes up 20 miles down the road that was unforeseeable and due to being in storage? What's a guy to do? :/

Old November 24th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #9
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rph12 View Post
See, you make an excellent point. I've seen a couple deals of that sort in my five long, grueling months of craigslisting day and night, every day. I am actually already planning on going out to look at another bike tomorrow that is an 05 with 5500 miles on it; however, this bike has been *sitting* in storage for two years. He claims battery replacement and regular oil change, but I feel a little nervous as to if he actually took proper precautions and steps to ensure the bike doesn't develop problems (Tank rust, carbs clogged, etc). This guy claims it starts up and runs, but what if something comes up 20 miles down the road that was unforeseeable and due to being in storage? What's a guy to do? :/
I would greatly prefer that bike as opposed to a salvage bike. You can check the tank for rust, you can change the battery and the oil. You may have to take apart the carbs and clean them if the bike doesn't start up buts thats just some elbow grease for a good deal.

And don't be afraid of bikes with 10k+ mileage. Most people won't even consider a bike with over 10k miles which means you can get a great deal.

Oh and the bike that is salvaged, you could buy it, have it inspected and declared non-repairable at which point its a nice lawn ornament.

http://motorcylemom.hubpages.com/hub...age-Motorcycle
AFM #676

Old November 24th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #10
rph12
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I would greatly prefer that bike as opposed to a salvage bike. You can check the tank for rust, you can change the battery and the oil. You may have to take apart the carbs and clean them if the bike doesn't start up buts thats just some elbow grease for a good deal.

And don't be afraid of bikes with 10k+ mileage. Most people won't even consider a bike with over 10k miles which means you can get a great deal.

Oh and the bike that is salvaged, you could buy it, have it inspected and declared non-repairable at which point its a nice lawn ornament.

http://motorcylemom.hubpages.com/hub...age-Motorcycle

Well I was informed the bike runs and such. It's only a short 15 minute drive for me, I think I may go and take a look at it just for my own personal benefit. But as far as damage from sitting, what else *could* go wrong that would cost extra money? At this point, I'm putting most of what I have into one of these deals (having already bought all of my gear, except for riding specific pants) and don't have much extra to go into initial repairs. Lmk...

Old November 25th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/2683808106.html

I'm assuming this is the one you are going to go look at. It sounds like it is not registered and hasn't been registered in years. If thats true you may be required to pay registration for each year that was not paid, check your local laws to find out. If everything he said is true then that price is amazing, but again you may end up paying quite a bit more in fees.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/2690776194.html

I'll bet you can easily talk them under 1k. Considering that the bike has 21k miles on it they probably haven't received many offers. Shoot for $800 and see if they bite.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/2683808106.html

This is my favorite of these 3 posts. It's over 10k so he probably hasn't received many inquiries and I'll bet you can talk him down to $1100-$1200

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcd/2638058930.html

Another good deal if you don't mind yellow. Talk him down to $1500 due to cosmetic damage.
AFM #676

Old November 25th, 2011, 12:07 AM   #12
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Well I was informed the bike runs and such. It's only a short 15 minute drive for me, I think I may go and take a look at it just for my own personal benefit. But as far as damage from sitting, what else *could* go wrong that would cost extra money? At this point, I'm putting most of what I have into one of these deals (having already bought all of my gear, except for riding specific pants) and don't have much extra to go into initial repairs. Lmk...
I believe the only problems that arise from letting a bike sit is the carbs getting gunked up from bad gas. However this doesn't happen if the gas tank and carbs are drained prior to storage. Cleaning the carbs won't cost you more than a few hours of time.
AFM #676

Old November 25th, 2011, 12:08 AM   #13
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Here's another good one http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/2636063977.html

Offer him a hard $1500 due to the "high" mileage
AFM #676

Old November 25th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #14
rph12
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Here's another good one http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/2636063977.html

Offer him a hard $1500 due to the "high" mileage

Excellent! Thank you for all these responses. I have read into the links you provided (actually, I've looked at every ninja 250 from Pittsburgh to Clevland to middle NY to West Virginia to Baltimore...and I mean every single one on CL...) and I agree on your price points. Very much appreciated and I hope I can get out there tmrw and find the best Black Friday deal of them all...my first bike XD

Old November 25th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #15
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Excellent! Thank you for all these responses. I have read into the links you provided (actually, I've looked at every ninja 250 from Pittsburgh to Clevland to middle NY to West Virginia to Baltimore...and I mean every single one on CL...) and I agree on your price points. Very much appreciated and I hope I can get out there tmrw and find the best Black Friday deal of them all...my first bike XD
Yea I was the same way, then I got a loan and bought a new 2011 .

Btw I'm 21 and in college too
AFM #676

Old November 25th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #16
rph12
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yea I was the same way, then I got a loan and bought a new 2011 .

Btw I'm 21 and in college too

Word. I'm very "for" getting a fine and dandy used vehicle for now (felt the same way when I started driving, still have my beat up jeep though. Not too bad in the winter around here...). I just quit my job at school in search of a new one for next semester though, so the loan part would be slightly difficult >.<. I look forward to a shiney new 2013 within the next year and a half

Old November 25th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #17
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

I didnt read all the above posts, but did see the post. can you title rebuilt titles where you live? Also I gave 1G for my 06 with 5k miles on it, so he is over priced IMO. I'd keep shopping around. Especially since you're in Pitt, I would think you'd see a lot bikes up for sale right now. Don't be afraid to have to drive a little. I drove 1300 miles to get my Concours
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren13 View Post
Under a grand, no question...

I'm not paying 1500 for a 250cc pregen ninja that's been rebuilt/has cosmetic damage. Mint 08's are going for a lil more than a grand more than his asking price for that pile.

Buying used is a great idea and the ONLY way to go with these bikes.

Don't for the love of god buy a BRAND NEW ninja 250. That is a huge waste of money. Around here, the going rate for brand new out the door tags titles fees, for a 2012, is like 5,000. Which then IMMEDIATELY drops in value like 1.5 grand. If you really want "new-ish" buy a 2011 for much much less. The only reason I'd EVER consider buying a brand new 250r is if that particular year was a new fuel injected model.
hey, what are you trying to say!? Unless you plan on selling the bike 2 days after you get it buying new is always a good option. I bought mine new and I don't regret it one bit. I know exactly who has been on this bike and what has been done to it. New bikes also have much more generous financing options.

and I would love to see these used 2012s for $3500! That's a steal!!!!
AFM #676