ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 4th, 2018, 07:44 PM   #1
NinjaError
ninjette.org member

Name: BP

Motorcycle(s): 2002 EX250

Cafe Racer?

I’m gonna make this short, but don’t think Im any less interested in this topic because I really have a dream �� . But in all seriousness, what is the first step into making my 2002 Ninja 250 into a Cafe Racer? Are there any videos on it? I look at my bike and a Cafe Racer and have no idea where to start, and my biggest question is how would I transform the seat from mine to a Cafe Racer?

Any answers is appreciated just something I wanted to attempt
If it’s possible at all with my bike .

Edit: Or should I ? I mean the bike has all original plastics never laid over no scratches dings dents anywhere. Is it worth modding? I HATE the license plate holder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8E8DFFF0-0253-4D76-B49A-4B1615AA5FEB.jpg (124.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 4569A4A2-54FF-48EB-9F32-CFCF57A3A757.jpg (124.9 KB, 9 views)
NinjaError is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2018, 10:43 PM   #2
memphisninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Spencer

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 250 and Suzuki Burgman 400. Previously owned: 78 KZ650, 80 KZ440, 03 ZX6R

First off, you probably should have posted this in the Farkles section, but no big deal, maybe a mod will move it for you.

It will require quite a bit of fabrication and patience to end up with a nice looking cafe racer ... You can find some seats on ebay that have the cafe racer look, and you'll have to remove the factory rear tail section and figure out a way to weld up/ modify the stock rear section of the frame to fit the seat that you want.

You'll also have to do even more modifications if you want a different gas tank, which many cafe racer builds seem to have.

As for the headlight, you can use 36mm fork brackets from ebay to mount up a 7" (pretty common) or whatever size round headlight you want to put up front.

Then there is the exhaust, which from what I have been reading and what people have told me, is best left alone, as well as the intake... If you insist though, I recommend some Emgo mufflers to mount to the stock headers and of course a rejet.

You can find bikini fairings on ebay as well ( mounts around the headlight) that fit on the bike, if you want one of course. Emgo makes several different kinds of these for 7" headlights that are universal.

Here is several posts I found for you, relating to cafe racer builds for the ninja 250.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=316365

https://bikebrewers.com/kawasaki-nin...racer-mr-ride/

Here is also some pictures for some ideas.

memphisninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2018, 11:24 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Here’s best one I’ve seen: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117957

Sell your original bodywork on Craigslist & eBay to fund your project. Or better yet, find crashed 250 without bodywork for project.

I made Cafe-racer-type seat for my VF500F 30-yrs ago. It’s very easy to make from scratch:

1. Lay out seat-base form over bike with non-corrugated cardboard, account for thickness of foam and vinyl-wrap

2. Lay down several alternating layers of fiberglass & uni-directional carbon-fibre using epoxy resin, up to 5-layers should be plenty strong. Attach mounting brackets

3. Sand rough spots out, lay down one outside layer of woven carbon-fibre and gel-coat

4. Sand and polish

5. Lay down foam of desired density. I prefer closed-cell foam

6. Take to upholstery shoppe and tell them, “here, cover this” in colour pattern of your choice.

This project is also lots easier if you’re able to cut metal with precision. Then weld or braze the pieces together

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; September 5th, 2018 at 05:26 AM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2018, 06:44 AM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
That one is too clean to Cafe IMO.

Find an old Honda CB-something (air-cooled) and have at it. Tons of cafe parts out there for older Hondas.

Full disclosure - I'm not a Cafe fan, but if you are going to do it you at least want an air-cooled engine (with fins).
jkv45 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2018, 06:50 AM   #5
michvin
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Honda CB 500x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
This project is also lots easier if you’re able to cut metal with precision. Then weld or braze the pieces together
If you are not able to cut metal, where do you go to have parts fabricated? Wanted to ask that for the longest time..
michvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2018, 09:19 AM   #6
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
There seem to be three elements of a cafe racer. One is the tank. The seat . And then a certain space under the seat. A see through quality that is sometimes difficult to achieve.

For the tank there are three quick choices then millions of others. 1 stock tank maybe fill in the fairing attachments. 2 a tank from another motorcycle. Need to modifie the tank or the frame to work. 3 full fabrication . There are plenty of places that do the work. Expect to pay for what you get. 1000 dollars for a good aluminum tank that does not leak is a good deal.

Air tech sells lots of body parts. Again you get what you pay for.

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/

This is my 2008 cafe racer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 755C9FE7-6158-4C47-A2A0-0E5E33E62DC2.jpg (119.9 KB, 9 views)

Old September 5th, 2018, 11:13 AM   #7
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): 250

Also look at Blue Collar Bobbers website:

https://bluecollarbobbers.com/explor...kawasaki-kits/

Old September 5th, 2018, 11:31 AM   #8
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Super nice stuff and will save huge amounts of time. Great quality

Old September 5th, 2018, 12:57 PM   #9
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Quote:
Originally Posted by michvin View Post
If you are not able to cut metal, where do you go to have parts fabricated? Wanted to ask that for the longest time..
Depends upon what you need done. If it’s machining a block of aluminium into useable part, there are tonnes of small-run prototyping machines shops always looking for work. I first made small run of Racer’s Edge camber-plates with shop in NorCal. Sent them my CAD drawings and BOM and they did the rest. Next batch I sent to China.

If you need fabrication and welding, “speed shops” dealing in custom builds can make anything you want. Depending upon what you want, they should have usual machinery, lathe, mill, rotary table, etc.

You can basically build your own bike from scratch combining the work of multiple outfits just the way you like. Frame from one, engine from another, bodywork, etc. I’ve spent an afternoon watching an old guy pound out a tank from bare sheetmetal and braze it together.

Old September 5th, 2018, 04:11 PM   #10
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): 250

As far as for Blue Collar Bobbers even if NinjaError doesn't want to buy their kit he can watch the install videos to get a good idea of whats involved.

Old September 5th, 2018, 05:54 PM   #11
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Building a cafe racer is a journey . Take the time to enjoy it.

Old September 5th, 2018, 06:03 PM   #12
NinjaError
ninjette.org member

Ah man great community ! Thanks for the quick feedback. Man it definitely is
a project, but it’s something I’d love to just work on for a while to perfect it to
my standards . Now that I’ve realized it takes a lot of time , in prob going to do
what some of you recommended and find a 250 that’s beat up already and start
from there instead of stripping my current 250. & I only say that because the bike
I have now has all original plastics never laid over no scratches anywhere it’s just
in really good condition so that’s why I’ll start this project with another one so Don’t think
this info you guys have gave me is not going to use.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 5th, 2018, 07:37 PM   #13
DannoXYZ

Yeah, i would start with beat-up bike and strip it to bare frame. Chop & shorten rear sub-frame and move lower brace tube further forward, like 6-8"

Would also be cool to design 2-1 exhaust that goes up to an undertail muffler. Looks so much cleaner

Old September 6th, 2018, 06:34 AM   #14
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaError View Post
Ah man great community ! Thanks for the quick feedback. Man it definitely is
a project, but it’s something I’d love to just work on for a while to perfect it to
my standards . Now that I’ve realized it takes a lot of time , in prob going to do
what some of you recommended and find a 250 that’s beat up already and start
from there instead of stripping my current 250. & I only say that because the bike
I have now has all original plastics never laid over no scratches anywhere it’s just
in really good condition so that’s why I’ll start this project with another one so Don’t think
this info you guys have gave me is not going to use.
Good call!

We bought a perfect Ninja 250 for that type of thing for $150 - and it ran! No fairings, but pretty much everything else was there and worked. Looked bad, but hey, $150 bux...

Got it from a member here from Midlothian, IL.

I lived in Mt. Prospect, IL, for 20 years and worked in the city for part of it.

One other suggestion - if you haven't already, find a MSF Basic Rider Course in your area. There are too many things you need to know to learn by yourself, especially in the Chicago area. Also search Craigslist for quality used gear. I've picked-up a ton of good gear for cheap over the years. I've been on the street for over 40 years, and always wear all of it all the time.

Old September 6th, 2018, 06:51 AM   #15
NinjaError
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Good call!

We bought a perfect Ninja 250 for that type of thing for $150 - and it ran! No fairings, but pretty much everything else was there and worked. Looked bad, but hey, $150 bux...

Got it from a member here from Midlothian, IL.

I lived in Mt. Prospect, IL, for 20 years and worked in the city for part of it.

One other suggestion - if you haven't already, find a MSF Basic Rider Course in your area. There are too many things you need to know to learn by yourself, especially in the Chicago area. Also search Craigslist for quality used gear. I've picked-up a ton of good gear for cheap over the years. I've been on the street for over 40 years, and always wear all of it all the time.
Hey thanks very much for the info. You know what’s crazy, I just recently bought my bike and it was from a guy that lived in Mt Prospect 😀. And my wife is in the Navy here, She helped me sign up for the MSF basic 2 day course on the base. Luckily they offer free classes so that was a pretty good deal. Scheduled for the 17th and 18th of this month then I’ll be legal.

Oh and also yes craigslist is where I found this 250. There are so many cheap bikes up here idk if it’s just because we’re by one of the biggest cities or if it’s just getting that time of the year and people are practically giving there bikes away for a little bit of cash but finding a ugly lil cheap 250 shouldn’t be to hard.

Old September 6th, 2018, 08:56 AM   #16
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Hey thanks very much for the info. You know what’s crazy, I just recently bought my bike and it was from a guy that lived in Mt Prospect ��. And my wife is in the Navy here, She helped me sign up for the MSF basic 2 day course on the base. Luckily they offer free classes so that was a pretty good deal. Scheduled for the 17th and 18th of this month then I’ll be legal.

Oh and also yes craigslist is where I found this 250. There are so many cheap bikes up here idk if it’s just because we’re by one of the biggest cities or if it’s just getting that time of the year and people are practically giving there bikes away for a little bit of cash but finding a ugly lil cheap 250 shouldn’t be to hard.
Glad to hear you have that scheduled. That is a great deal. Normally it's over $200.

Another safety-related suggestion - check the age of the tires on your bike. The production date is 4 numbers in an oval on the sidewall like "2610". The first 2 are the week (26th week), the last 2 are the last digits of the year (2010). They could even be original if it's got super low miles, but they aren't usable anymore. 5 years is plenty on a cycle tire (IMO).

Check out this section for a ton of Ninja info - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto

Pretty funny about the Mount Prospect connection.

Thank your wife for her service - I appreciate it. My youngest boy just enlisted in the Marines and is heading to Basic in a few months.

Old September 6th, 2018, 11:27 AM   #17
michvin
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Depends upon what you need done. If it’s machining a block of aluminium into useable part, there are tonnes of small-run prototyping machines shops always looking for work. I first made small run of Racer’s Edge camber-plates with shop in NorCal. Sent them my CAD drawings and BOM and they did the rest. Next batch I sent to China.

If you need fabrication and welding, “speed shops” dealing in custom builds can make anything you want. Depending upon what you want, they should have usual machinery, lathe, mill, rotary table, etc.

You can basically build your own bike from scratch combining the work of multiple outfits just the way you like. Frame from one, engine from another, bodywork, etc. I’ve spent an afternoon watching an old guy pound out a tank from bare sheetmetal and braze it together.
Thanks for the info!
I was thinking about attaching dirt-bike style handlebars to the ninja and i haven't find ready-made adapters yet.. Machining comes to mind.

Old September 6th, 2018, 09:48 PM   #18
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Thanks for the info!
I was thinking about attaching dirt-bike style handlebars to the ninja and i haven't find ready-made adapters yet.. Machining comes to mind.
Like these? Lets you use any 7/8" bar you want.

From the best cafe build yet. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117957

Old September 7th, 2018, 06:00 AM   #19
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
This was our $150 Ninja when we got it -

It did run (amazingly), but the gas looked like dirty water and the oil looked and smelled like dirty gas.

After completely going through it, changing everything and installing new tires, my son rode it for a few years and about 6000 mi - most of that over 10,000 RPMs. It ran really well considering it had pod filters and a leaky exhaust.

I would say this is the type of thing you want if you were to go the cafe route with a Ninja.

Your yellow one just looks too nice to dismantle.

Old September 7th, 2018, 06:21 AM   #20
michvin
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Like these? Lets you use any 7/8" bar you want.
Like these exactly! Precisely what I need..
But will they fit the 2008 model, that is the question.

Oh, he just drilled through the triple tree clamp..

Old September 8th, 2018, 05:54 PM   #21
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Like these exactly! Precisely what I need..
But will they fit the 2008 model, that is the question.

Oh, he just drilled through the triple tree clamp..
Yes, they all require drilling triple-T. The factory bar-mount positions are too far apart and ends up running into curved parts of many bars.

Old September 8th, 2018, 06:10 PM   #22
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I think once you change from clip on bars to dirt bike bars and have rear seats the look is then a street fighter or a stunner and not a cafe racer.

Old September 9th, 2018, 09:44 AM   #23
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
I think once you change from clip on bars to dirt bike bars and have rear seats the look is then a street fighter or a stunner and not a cafe racer.
Yup, and clip-ons should be below the triple-clamp.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; September 9th, 2018 at 12:01 PM.

Old September 9th, 2018, 12:52 PM   #24
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
The black bike would be easy to duplicate. The fairings are cheap and easy to fit. The rest would fall into place .

Old September 9th, 2018, 01:30 PM   #25
DannoXYZ

Any easy source for wire wheels?

Supermoto 17" rims would make for simple upgrade to modern tyres. Have to find closest fitting hub and spacer combo.

Old September 9th, 2018, 03:41 PM   #26
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
How about the wheels on the new 300 Versys?

Old September 9th, 2018, 11:13 PM   #27
DannoXYZ

Hey, that's good idea! Easiest with pre-gen to upgrade to new-gen rear-suspension & front forks first. Then those wheels would be close to direct bolt on.

Old September 12th, 2018, 03:25 AM   #28
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
To complete street fighter look, you gotta have rusty chain!

Old September 12th, 2018, 10:58 AM   #29
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
That’s for swinging at cars when you play road rash.

Last futzed with by Racer x; October 10th, 2018 at 04:41 PM.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2018, 04:04 PM   #30
propilot
ninjette.org member

Name: keV

Motorcycle(s): 04 ex250

Quote:
Man it definitely is
my standards.
If you start parting ur bike to fund ur cafe racer, I'm interested in purchasing ur seat, hit me up!
propilot is offline   Reply With Quote