ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Marketplace > Items Wanted

Notices

Old March 24th, 2015, 10:28 AM   #1
cgborders
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Road star bagger, KZ400 bobber, kz305 cafe racer, '94 ninja 250 cafe project, vfr750

Pre-gen Gas Tank

I picked up 2 2007 ninja 250 the other day, tanks are really rough. One has lots of rust and some pinholes.
Looking for a decent used tank, preferably the Silver used in 2007 but any color will work.
If you have one let me know how much and shipping to 37701.
Thanks
cgborders is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2015, 07:04 AM   #2
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

If the rust isn't so bad it's loose, you can fix it with Caswell epoxy tank sealer. The rough surface provides a better surface for adhesion. If it is that rusty, just clean it and use the Caswell. Tape over the pinholes before putting the epoxy in the tank. I've used it and it works well. http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...nk-sealer.html

I also have a couple of less than perfect tanks in yellow and blue.

Old March 26th, 2015, 06:56 AM   #3
cgborders
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Road star bagger, KZ400 bobber, kz305 cafe racer, '94 ninja 250 cafe project, vfr750

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
If the rust isn't so bad it's loose, you can fix it with Caswell epoxy tank sealer. The rough surface provides a better surface for adhesion. If it is that rusty, just clean it and use the Caswell. Tape over the pinholes before putting the epoxy in the tank. I've used it and it works well. http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...nk-sealer.html
I thought about that, its pretty bad, I'd like to try and seal it but spending $50 for sealer plus cleaning it out for it not to work sounds scary.
None of the holes are large- 1-2mm in diameter. Thought about filling from outside with tank epoxy then treating inside with sealer (maybe 2 coats?)
cgborders is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2015, 07:22 AM   #4
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

If the rust isn't loose, tank cleaning shouldn't be needed as the rust provides a better substrate for adhesion of the epoxy. The nice thing about epoxy linings is that they not only seal the tank, but strengthen it too. When the tank is properly prepped, the epoxy lasts forever, unlike many other tank linings. Even if condensation develops in the tank, it isn't going to rust any more because the epoxy prevents the water from contacting the metal.

There's no need to pre-seal the holes in the tank from the outside. It will only get epoxy on the paint, which won't look good, and it won't do a better job of sealing the holes. There's enough epoxy in the Caswell kit to do two Honda Rebel 250 tanks, which hold around 2.4 gallons each. So there is plenty to treat a single Ninja tank and have a thick coating. There's no advantage to lining it with epoxy in two stages, and it would probably be detrimental as the second coat would need to adhere to the smooth surface of the first coat.