ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 18th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #1
shanesalty
ninjette.org member

Name: Shane

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Blue

Handlebar riser

I have a 2010 250 and the handlebar riser (don't know the exact term) on the right side is starting to get air bubbles under the paint. This is causing the paint to chip off. I am at work so I can't get any pictures of it right but I was wondering if anyone knows if this is covered under the warranty. The bike was purchased in November of 2010 and has 2900 miles on it. I called my dealership and I am waiting to hear back from them. I guess I am just looking for a piece of mind about this. I am not too happy.
shanesalty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #2
shanesalty
ninjette.org member

Swung by the dealer today so they could take pictures of it and send them to Kawasaki. Talked to the shop manager and his opinion is that the front brake reservoir was leaking a little and dropped brake fluid on the handlebar. He got a screw driver and was able to tighten both screw a 1/4 turn. I told him I have never messed with it since I had the bike. Either they weren't full tighten when the bike was prepped in November when I bought it or they came loose from riding. He told me he would call by Friday to let me know if it will be covered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (108.9 KB, 8 views)

Old May 19th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #3
shanesalty
ninjette.org member

Now I am puzzled. Ride to work this morning and look at the handlebar and it has brake fluid on it again. I check both screws on top of the brake cylinder and they are both tight.

Old May 19th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #4
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

From the pic...guessing...it may be not from the cap but maybe the line.
back in my scuba days I saw high pressure hoses develop pin holes that could not be seen but still let air out.
Just to satisfy yourself....cover the whole thing with soapy water and pump the brake...that will probably show the source. Good luck
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #5
kkim

rubber diaphragm inside the master cylinder could be defective allowing the fluid to escape when you grab the brakes. do you squeeze the brake lever extra hard by any chance?

MC could be overfilled, too.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #6
shanesalty
ninjette.org member

I actually do light braking and try to use the engine to stop as much as possible. Of course I have had some OH CRAP moments but this just started within a week or so. I did get good news from the dealer that Kawi is going to warranty the handlebar and master cylinder diaphragm. The parts should be in next week I hope. I can breathe a sigh of relief.

Old May 19th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #7
kkim

so, the are saying it's a faulty MC diaphragm? if so, how did they determine that?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #8
shanesalty
ninjette.org member

I think they are guessing at this point. To be honest they maybe replacing the whole cylinder. The guy from my shop that called was a new guy and basically told me that they got the approval and the work order is placed for parts. I know he said the handlebar and diaphragm would be replaced. He may of said the whole cylinder also but I was at work and couldn't talk long plus he seemed like a nervous wreck.

Old May 19th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #9
shanesalty
ninjette.org member

I think that since I wasn't an ass like most of the customers that go into the service department at this shop that the shop manager may of went to bat for me on this one. I am only speculating here but yesterday when I brought the bike in to be looked at we sat outside for about 10 minutes joking around and exchange horror stories of dealing with crazy customers. I work for a company the sells appliance parts so I have my fair share of nutty people.