ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old June 20th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #1
CalvinAmI
ninjette.org member

Name: CalvinAmI

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r [RED] & '06 Ninja 250 [WHITE]

[SOLVED] Mounting my Tri Flush mount LEDs

Hey all,
I need some advice for mounting my tri flush mount front LED blinkers.
I've tested them and they are very bright and look great.
My problem is, that the mounting bolt/plastic thing isn't long enough to go all the way through the side fairing. Mainly just because of the oem socket-style mounting holes for the original signals. I need some brain power getting these things mounted properly. The options I have come up with are:

1) cut away the inside "socket hole" of each side fairing until it is much closer to the outside of the fairing. (i will never go back to stock signals)
2) somehow extend/replace the LEDs plastic bolt thing with a longer bolt, which will require carefully breaking it apart because it is simply glued together.
3) use hand signals instead of blinkers (i do this anyway because it reminds me of this cheerleader chick i once knew)
4) go back to stock dorky bulb blinkers (never never never)

I plan to take some action tomorrow morning... gonna sleep on it and see what you guys come up with.
Below are some pics of what I bought. It is ALMOST long enough... but not
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tri1.jpg (25.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg tri2.jpg (23.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg tri3.jpg (19.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg tri4.jpg (20.1 KB, 5 views)
CalvinAmI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #2
CalvinAmI
ninjette.org member

well.... after nearly 5 minutes of thought, I figured it out.
Instead of carving on a costly fairing, I decided to gently pry open the $5 tri LEDs.
Success
There are two little screws holding the LED board to the plastic backing.
I will remove the led board and drill a hole and mount a long bolt.

Problem solved!

Thanks for nothing!!! (kidding)

/close this thread

Old June 20th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #3
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

take some pics, i want to see what your talking about
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2012, 10:09 AM   #4
CalvinAmI
ninjette.org member

Thumbs up

Fixing method = bolt + washer + nut + superglue
If feels very strong so far =)
Headed out to install them and see if they snug up correctly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0594.jpg (167.3 KB, 6 views)

Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:44 PM   #5
trevor_shiggs
ninjette.org member

Name: Canada

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

I used a lamp repair kit. and threaded the inside. worked awesome.

Old June 24th, 2012, 03:40 AM   #6
siwoz
ninjette.org member

Name: Simon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja EX250R

I just installed these yesterday. For anyone else reading this who might want to install them, I just extended the hollow bolt by drilling a hole in another bolt and connecting the two via an extra long nut. See picture

siwoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2012, 04:48 AM   #7
CalvinAmI
ninjette.org member

I sort of understand, but not entirely. can you take a picture of how you extended the original plastic bolt? How did you snug or up after extending it?

Old June 26th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #8
siwoz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinAmI View Post
I sort of understand, but not entirely. can you take a picture of how you extended the original plastic bolt? How did you snug or up after extending it?
I've taken some pictures for you to try and help. I've actually improved it slightly now with the second nut but it still follows the same idea.
As for making it sit snug against the fairing, I got an approximately correct length nut then just used a couple of spring washers to remove any extra length.
Hope this helps (especially since I had to take off my fairings to show you

Old June 26th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #9
CalvinAmI
ninjette.org member

if you could just bring them to my house and test fit them..... lol. kidding. thank you for the pics. can you inform me of where to get that vinel-looking nut/bolt thing? do you remember what it is called at the store?
thank you once again!
you rock.

Old June 26th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #10
siwoz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinAmI View Post
if you could just bring them to my house and test fit them..... lol. kidding. thank you for the pics. can you inform me of where to get that vinel-looking nut/bolt thing? do you remember what it is called at the store?
thank you once again!
you rock.
It's just a nylon nut. It came with my set of flush mount signals. There's no need for it (could you a steel one), I'm just using it since it fits the thread better than the steel nuts I have.

Old June 27th, 2012, 05:56 AM   #11
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2012 black Ninjette

Hey guys... @siwoz, thats a good idea you got there! maybe you should sell it back to them haha! But is there a way of doing it without opening up the fairing and taking it off?

I was just thinking of buying a nut and gluing it onto the hole where where thread screws into..lining it up properly ovcoarse... and using the glued nut as the new thread hole if that make sense?? then the thread in essence will just be lengthened, I'd then use locktight on it to keep it firm and screw the flush mounts in just like any other screw...

do you guys think this will work?

also where'd you get the flush mounts? they are nice!

Old June 27th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #12
siwoz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newninja123 View Post
Hey guys... @siwoz, thats a good idea you got there! maybe you should sell it back to them haha! But is there a way of doing it without opening up the fairing and taking it off?

I was just thinking of buying a nut and gluing it onto the hole where where thread screws into..lining it up properly ovcoarse... and using the glued nut as the new thread hole if that make sense?? then the thread in essence will just be lengthened, I'd then use locktight on it to keep it firm and screw the flush mounts in just like any other screw...

do you guys think this will work?

also where'd you get the flush mounts? they are nice!
I wouldn't really advise doing it without taking the fairings off, it's quite likely that it wouldn't be a great solution and would probably be more difficult than taking the fairings off and doing it.
I only got my bike last week and taking off the fairings is really easy in my opinion. Just follow a nice DIY guide and you'll find it easy too

As for where to get the flush mounts, I got mine from the2wheels for $18.99 shipped. I'm pretty sure modmy250 sell them but at over $60 shipped (plug and play though).

Old June 27th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #13
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siwoz View Post
I wouldn't really advise doing it without taking the fairings off, it's quite likely that it wouldn't be a great solution and would probably be more difficult than taking the fairings off and doing it.
I only got my bike last week and taking off the fairings is really easy in my opinion. Just follow a nice DIY guide and you'll find it easy too

As for where to get the flush mounts, I got mine from the2wheels for $18.99 shipped. I'm pretty sure modmy250 sell them but at over $60 shipped (plug and play though).
Hmmmm I am considering it then..... Do you have to do any work to the electrical? Also how are they holding up? No leaks or problems? Lemme know!

Old June 27th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #14
siwoz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Hmmmm I am considering it then..... Do you have to do any work to the electrical? Also how are they holding up? No leaks or problems? Lemme know!
I've only had them for a week but they seem to be really good. For work to the electrical, all I did was remove the old turn signals and connect the solder and heatshrink the wires from the original harness to the new turn signal.

Old June 27th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #15
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I've only had them for a week but they seem to be really good. For work to the electrical, all I did was remove the old turn signals and connect the solder and heatshrink the wires from the original harness to the new turn signal.
Did you need to install a led flasher relay? Also is soldering necessary? I kinda of don't have a soldering kit...

Old June 27th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #16
siwoz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Did you need to install a led flasher relay? Also is soldering necessary? I kinda of don't have a soldering kit...
I installed a flasher relay because I changed out all the turn signals for LED. I'm pretty sure if you're only replacing one set of turn signals you don't need one

Well soldering isn't completely necessary but I would definitely advise it since otherwise the wires might not have the best connection. If you go to somewhere like KMart you could probably pick up a soldering iron for under $10.
Your other option is to get some electrical connectors such as spade terminals to connect the wires, that would probably cost less than $2.

Old June 28th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #17
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I installed a flasher relay because I changed out all the turn signals for LED. I'm pretty sure if you're only replacing one set of turn signals you don't need one

Well soldering isn't completely necessary but I would definitely advise it since otherwise the wires might not have the best connection. If you go to somewhere like KMart you could probably pick up a soldering iron for under $10.
Your other option is to get some electrical connectors such as spade terminals to connect the wires, that would probably cost less than $2.
HEY!! we have someone remotely closer to Australia!! Finally! All those hippies driving on the right side of the road! What is this!?!?

I could probably just borrow one of the solders from school...

One more thing mate, how hard is it exactly to wire it all up with 4 led lights? If I want to install a few more leds in the back to make it 4 led lights in total is it hard? Taking into consideration I'm a uni student, and have minimal to no experience with electrics other than splicing, connecting and the basics really... Do you know of any tutorials that make it dead easy or simple to learn?

cheers

Old June 28th, 2012, 01:53 AM   #18
siwoz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
HEY!! we have someone remotely closer to Australia!! Finally! All those hippies driving on the right side of the road! What is this!?!?

I could probably just borrow one of the solders from school...

One more thing mate, how hard is it exactly to wire it all up with 4 led lights? If I want to install a few more leds in the back to make it 4 led lights in total is it hard? Taking into consideration I'm a uni student, and have minimal to no experience with electrics other than splicing, connecting and the basics really... Do you know of any tutorials that make it dead easy or simple to learn?

cheers
Wiring up all four with LED lights is a little more difficult as you need to have an electronic flasher relay and diodes installed. I'm actually a uni student too and you definitely don't need much/if any experience to do the modifications, I just followed the guides found on this website and it all works.

The only part I found remotely challenging was wiring up my indicator mirrors which ended up being easy once I understood the wiring as a result of installing the diodes.

Old June 28th, 2012, 02:43 AM   #19
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Wiring up all four with LED lights is a little more difficult as you need to have an electronic flasher relay and diodes installed. I'm actually a uni student too and you definitely don't need much/if any experience to do the modifications, I just followed the guides found on this website and it all works.

The only part I found remotely challenging was wiring up my indicator mirrors which ended up being easy once I understood the wiring as a result of installing the diodes.
haha where did you pick up you supplies? Also, do you have any specific DIY's or tutuorials that you know are good? Also overall how long did it take you?

have a good 1 mate!

Old June 28th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #20
siwoz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
haha where did you pick up you supplies? Also, do you have any specific DIY's or tutuorials that you know are good? Also overall how long did it take you?

have a good 1 mate!
I got most of it from an automotive electric supply store since I have an account there but was at Mitre 10 Mega today and they have all the exact same stuff there for a similar price. The only things I didn't get from there was the flasher relay. Got the diode from DSE and the relay from http://www.ebay.com/itm/230797749397.

For taking the fairings off, I used this guide:
http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/DIY_Fairing_Removal

For the diode install:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...4&postcount=25

It probably took me an hour or two to install it all (including the rear turn signals and turn signal mirrors I bought). Would have been less if I hadn't tried an alternate method for the diodes which didn't work

If you're interested, these (http://shop.the2wheels.com/18x-LED-T...Y002-1pair.htm) are the turn signals I got for the rear. They look awesome in my opinion.

Old June 28th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #21
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I got most of it from an automotive electric supply store since I have an account there but was at Mitre 10 Mega today and they have all the exact same stuff there for a similar price. The only thing I didn't get from there was the diodes, which came from DSE.

For taking the fairings off, I used this guide:
http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/DIY_Fairing_Removal

For the diode install:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...4&postcount=25

It probably took me an hour or two to install it all (including the rear turn signals I bought). Would have been less if I hadn't tried an alternate method for the diodes which didn't work

Thanks for the links mate!

The diode install brings up so many more questions! It makes it more complex than I originally thought!

I understand the install... seems straight forward, and easy to do, but what is the point of adding those extra couple of wires to the diode that is the actually indicator light aswell? How does that affect the way the indicators now work?????

Also what is the flasher relay used for? Why is that necessary for the lights to work, and how can I install that (DIY or Tutorials if you have)??

As you can see I don't have a clue when it comes to this haha...

I really appreciate your help on all of this mate! Kudos to you!

Old June 28th, 2012, 03:42 AM   #22
siwoz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Thanks for the links mate!

The diode install brings up so many more questions! It makes it more complex than I originally thought!

I understand the install... seems straight forward, and easy to do, but what is the point of adding those extra couple of wires to the diode that is the actually indicator light aswell? How does that affect the way the indicators now work?????

Also what is the flasher relay used for? Why is that necessary for the lights to work, and how can I install that (DIY or Tutorials if you have)??

As you can see I don't have a clue when it comes to this haha...

I really appreciate your help on all of this mate! Kudos to you!
From what I understand, there's a wire from each side of the turn signals going to the bulb on the dash. What you do is add a diode on each of them so that there can't be a backflow of energy to either side. You then add a ground wire in so that the excess energy has a place to ground.

If you don't do the diode mod you end up with both sides flashing at the same time as the reduced load from the LEDs leaves over energy which flows to the other side.

The flasher relay is to replace the stock one in the bike which is a mechanical load relay. To be brief, the speed it flashes is dependant on the electrical load, which with LEDs installed is much less than incandescent bulbs. Installation of the relay is really easy with the one I linked you to as it even has the hole for mounting on the same hook as the stock one. Connecting it is just as easy as all you need to do is disconnect the plug and connect it to the new one.
On the new relay there's a third pin which I assume is ground so I connected that to the frame just in case.

Hope this helps !

Old June 28th, 2012, 03:52 AM   #23
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
From what I understand, there's a wire from each side of the turn signals going to the bulb on the dash. What you do is add a diode on each of them so that there can't be a backflow of energy to either side. You then add a ground wire in so that the excess energy has a place to ground.

If you don't do the diode mod you end up with both sides flashing at the same time as the reduced load from the LEDs leaves over energy which flows to the other side.

The flasher relay is to replace the stock one in the bike which is a mechanical load relay. To be brief, the speed it flashes is dependant on the electrical load, which with LEDs installed is much less than incandescent bulbs. Installation of the relay is really easy with the one I linked you to as it even has the hole for mounting on the same hook as the stock one. Connecting it is just as easy as all you need to do is disconnect the plug and connect it to the new one.
On the new relay there's a third pin which I assume is ground so I connected that to the frame just in case.

Hope this helps !
yeh that makes sense haha.. I asked my mate and hes pretty good with this...

His explanation is that the leds require more energy to work, but with the stock diode and relay, it doesn't allow enough energy to be transferred to the lights, therefore the light are designed to stay lit up in order to show the rider that his/her lights arnt working properly. So in order to fix this, you must, like you said add an extra ground and diode wire.... such a little mod for a bit result! As for the relay, the relay supplies more power, solving the problem much more simply haha...

I understand the basics, but im still pretty unconfident on the whole thing.. it might be better when i open it all up and see the actual components for myself........ But i don't want to do something that I cant reverse!!

hmmmmm what to do, what to do....

Old June 28th, 2012, 04:09 AM   #24
siwoz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
yeh that makes sense haha.. I asked my mate and hes pretty good with this...

His explanation is that the leds require more energy to work, but with the stock diode and relay, it doesn't allow enough energy to be transferred to the lights, therefore the light are designed to stay lit up in order to show the rider that his/her lights arnt working properly. So in order to fix this, you must, like you said add an extra ground and diode wire.... such a little mod for a bit result! As for the relay, the relay supplies more power, solving the problem much more simply haha...

I understand the basics, but im still pretty unconfident on the whole thing.. it might be better when i open it all up and see the actual components for myself........ But i don't want to do something that I cant reverse!!

hmmmmm what to do, what to do....
Huh? I'm 99% sure LEDs use less power which is why they're such an attractive option for many applications.

Old June 28th, 2012, 04:30 AM   #25
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Huh? I'm 99% sure LEDs use less power which is why they're such an attractive option for many applications.
Sorry, yeh haha.. that was a typo...

With a bit more research, I could probably just do it on one weekend if I put my head down... I understand the diodes and wiring, now its just a matter of taking apart the fairing....

by the way, the indicators you linked me to earlier, they are nice! how are they working out for you? still good? waterproof?? hows the brightness on them during the day??

thanks for the help mate, you deserve a medal for it!

Old June 28th, 2012, 04:42 AM   #26
siwoz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Sorry, yeh haha.. that was a typo...

With a bit more research, I could probably just do it on one weekend if I put my head down... I understand the diodes and wiring, now its just a matter of taking apart the fairing....

by the way, the indicators you linked me to earlier, they are nice! how are they working out for you? still good? waterproof?? hows the brightness on them during the day??

thanks for the help mate, you deserve a medal for it!
You could definitely do it in one weekend with ease. The indicators are good, waterproof and part of the stalk is rubber which makes them a bit more durable. Haven't really been able to check on the daytime visibility as it has been constantly raining and overcast since I installed them .
One of them arrived with only have the LEDs lighting but I contacted the seller and they've sent a replacement already! At just over $10 I would say they're definitely worth it.

Off to bed now, if you have any questions just ask here or PM me, I'll check my email in the morning.

Old June 28th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #27
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You could definitely do it in one weekend with ease. The indicators are good, waterproof and part of the stalk is rubber which makes them a bit more durable. Haven't really been able to check on the daytime visibility as it has been constantly raining and overcast since I installed them .
One of them arrived with only have the LEDs lighting but I contacted the seller and they've sent a replacement already! At just over $10 I would say they're definitely worth it.

Off to bed now, if you have any questions just ask here or PM me, I'll check my email in the morning.
haha after all this talk, I'm psyched to do it now! But one more thing, where did you get your diode, or did you make one yourself?

Because I actually found another method, that seems to work just as well, but you only have to take off the side farings...

Here's the tutorial:
http://www.customled.com/products/in..._/ncdk250r.pdf

Alright mate, thanks for the help! Hope your setup works well and looks good, and that you get some riding done soon!

Cheers

Old July 3rd, 2012, 09:29 AM   #28
trevor_shiggs
ninjette.org member

Name: Canada

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

I threaded the inside of these to match the exterior thread on the light. threaded these over the existing and used the matching lamp nuts and a large washers.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/nipp...2-piece/919445

Old July 3rd, 2012, 09:34 AM   #29
CalvinAmI
ninjette.org member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor_shiggs View Post
I threaded the inside of these to match the exterior thread on the light. threaded these over the existing and used the matching lamp nuts and a large washers.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/nipp...2-piece/919445
YOU ROCK
I am going to redo mine in this fashion
THANK YOU!

Old July 3rd, 2012, 02:46 PM   #30
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

you guys should read the wiki.

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/L.E.D_Lighting

Old July 29th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #31
102dalz
ninjette.org member

Name: Randi

Motorcycle(s): My family has 4 (now)

Where are y'all getting the flasher relays?
102dalz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #32
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102dalz View Post
Where are y'all getting the flasher relays?
AutoZone, o'Reilly
sLick415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #33
lgk

I got mine at napa, but its probably cheaper at autozone.

i used a circular one,
ended up wrapping a rubber band around it, and ziptied it onto the frame.

Old July 29th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #34
102dalz
ninjette.org member

Name: Randi

Motorcycle(s): My family has 4 (now)

Nothing plug n' play for relays?
102dalz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #35
lgk

Quote:
i'm sure there are square ones out there, i was just too lazy to look.

Old August 5th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #36
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
http://modmy250.com/LP.html

plug and play relays for $16.99 shipped.