ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 26th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #81
tkessler
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Topher

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Just an FYI to anyone relatively new to this, don't at all tighten down the camshaft cap bolts unless you know the shafts are in position and the caps are properly seated down. If the camshaft teeth are even one position off on the chain, causing them to be too tight, or if the shaft is otherwise held at an awkward angle and not properly seated, then tightening them down will not take much force before you hear a *CRACK* which may sound like the caps snapping into place, but upon further inspection you'll see the shaft cracked in half. I would post a nice picture of the results of this, but I dont have a place to host it right now. The fix will be about $250 for a shaft, and about a 1-2 week wait.
tkessler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2014, 04:25 PM   #82
Red250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Is this a correct shim kit for our bikes? It says it fits but i don't trust those things at all. $63 isn't too bad. Going to probably hit this up at the end of the season. Just getting things together since i have some extra money laying around.

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Cams-Valve...ype=motorcycle
Red250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2014, 05:33 AM   #83
Bones85
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red250R View Post
Is this a correct shim kit for our bikes? It says it fits but i don't trust those things at all. $63 isn't too bad. Going to probably hit this up at the end of the season. Just getting things together since i have some extra money laying around.

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Cams-Valve...ype=motorcycle
Yes. I have the same kit.
Bones85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #84
noahsark
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Noah

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

WORD OF CAUTION!!!

The Camshaft Chain Tensioner shouldn't be removed until AFTER you turn time countershaft, and check valve clearance. Why in the world is this put down as Step 1 on this procedure? I was using the Service Manual and this thread to do the procedure and I might've caused damage to my chain because I followed this threads procedure.

The service manual states: "Do not turn over the crankshaft while the tensioner is removed. This could upset the camshaft chain timing and damage the valves."
noahsark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #85
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsark View Post
WORD OF CAUTION!!!

The Camshaft Chain Tensioner shouldn't be removed until AFTER you turn time countershaft, and check valve clearance. Why in the world is this put down as Step 1 on this procedure? I was using the Service Manual and this thread to do the procedure and I might've caused damage to my chain because I followed this threads procedure.

The service manual states: "Do not turn over the crankshaft while the tensioner is removed. This could upset the camshaft chain timing and damage the valves."
Good catch.
@Alex
This is probably important enough to ask for a mod edit.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2015, 03:20 AM   #86
Bobby
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Bobby

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Question

Hello, when I installed the exhaust cam with the crankshaft at 2 TDC, I noticed that the end of the cam shaft opposite the sprocket does not seat on to the engine head because the lobes on cylinder 1 push it up when the sprockets marks are lined correctly. It only goes down when I tighten the cam caps. Is this what you guys experienced when installing the exhaust cam shafts? I just want to make sure that I did not position the crankshaft or cams incorrectly. Also, is a carb adjustment necessary after the valve adjustment? I don't see any thing in the service manual about this. How do you do it?
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2015, 07:37 AM   #87
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
if that cylinder is on the exhaust stroke, sounds about right

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:20 PM   #88
Bobby
ninjette.org newbie

Cam shaft seating problem

Interesting. I wish I had read this before completing the entire adjustment. I positioned the cam shafts correctly (lined up the sprocket markings, identified IN and EX cams, and made sure to position the crankshaft at TDC 2 with lobes on #2 cylinder facing away from each other), but I found it impossible to seat the exhaust cam end opposite the sprocket because when I lined up the IN and EX markings with the cylinder head, the lobes on the #1 cylinder pushed against the lifters and raised the cam shaft out of position. I had no idea how to fix this problem so I just tightened the cam caps and finished the job. I have put 40 miles on the bike and it runs good. The only thing that I can think of is that the mechanic who did the job before me put the lobes in the wrong position confusing me. I don't know. What do you think? Also, it seems unlikely that a camshaft could break in half, but i don't know.

Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:22 PM   #89
Bobby
ninjette.org newbie

Cam Shaft Seating Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkessler View Post
Just an FYI to anyone relatively new to this, don't at all tighten down the camshaft cap bolts unless you know the shafts are in position and the caps are properly seated down. If the camshaft teeth are even one position off on the chain, causing them to be too tight, or if the shaft is otherwise held at an awkward angle and not properly seated, then tightening them down will not take much force before you hear a *CRACK* which may sound like the caps snapping into place, but upon further inspection you'll see the shaft cracked in half. I would post a nice picture of the results of this, but I dont have a place to host it right now. The fix will be about $250 for a shaft, and about a 1-2 week wait.

Interesting. I wish I had read this before completing the entire adjustment. I positioned the cam shafts correctly (lined up the sprocket markings, identified IN and EX cams, and made sure to position the crankshaft at TDC 2 with lobes on #2 cylinder facing away from each other), but I found it impossible to seat the exhaust cam end opposite the sprocket because when I lined up the IN and EX markings with the cylinder head, the lobes on the #1 cylinder pushed against the lifters and raised the cam shaft out of position. I had no idea how to fix this problem so I just tightened the cam caps and finished the job. I have put 40 miles on the bike and it runs good. The only thing that I can think of is that the mechanic who did the job before me put the lobes in the wrong position confusing me. I don't know. What do you think? Also, it seems unlikely that a camshaft could break in half, but i don't know.

Old May 3rd, 2015, 12:03 AM   #90
Bobby
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkessler View Post
Also, did you follow the tightening sequence mandated in the service manual? If not, this may have caused the shafts to snap, not improper seating of the cam journals.

Old December 28th, 2015, 06:48 PM   #91
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 14 Ninja 300 (Track Only), 07 CRF150RB

IMG_0881.jpg

If you zoom in you can see the 2T mark in this pic. Hope it helps someone
Dsheumaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2017, 09:03 AM   #92
Superiorknightz
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Superiorknightz

Motorcycle(s): 98 Kawasaki 250

Whats the correct measurement?

Whats the correct clearance for all valves.
I'm confused on the number of valves, because I see the numbers on each one. But ppl call the left valve the 1st.... i'm just confused. Can someone label the valves from this pic.

Oh and I have a 2008 engine on a 1998 frame, didn't believe it until I pulled the engine head off -_-

I also can't make it 10 minutes on the highway without the ninja just wanting to die. Each time the sparkplugs are black and the tips have yellow residue on them(powder).

Thank you for any support.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exercise_Caution.jpg (24.3 KB, 6 views)
Superiorknightz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2017, 01:34 PM   #93
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Starting from the camshaft sprocket and working back. The right side camshaft is the intake. The valves closest to that camshaft sprocket are cylinder #2 intake valves (2 of them per cyclinder) staying along that same camshaft but moving farther from the sprocket is cylinder #1 intake valves.

The other camshaft is the exhaust. (The one on the left in the pic) same deal. Cylinder #2 exhaust valves are closest to the camshaft sprocket. Cylinder #1 are farthest away. The red circles in that pic are the dowel pins or whatever they are called. Don't lose them when removing the valve cover or mess them up when re installing them.

Exhaust 0.22 ∼ 0.29 mm (0.0087 ∼ 0.0114 in.)
Intake: 0.15 ∼ 0.24 mm (0.0059 ∼ 0.0094 in.)

Hope this helps!
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote