ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 26th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #1
sixstring
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 09 EX250 LE

Ninja 250r release comp clutch issues

Firstly, I'm not exactly sure what the part I'm talking about is commonly called. The Kawasaki parts diagram refers to this as the RELEASE-COMP-CLUTCH. Its a little lever that is on the right hand side of the bike, beside the engine oil fill cap and above the engine oil window.

So this is what happened:

I decided to lube my clutch cable today. Took the cable out from the lever fine. Then I started to play around with the cablel a bit, trying to see what part its connected to. When I saw that it was connected to this little lever on the right side of my bike, I went over and turned it a bit towards the back of the bike.... then it got stuck and won't turn towards the front of the bike anymore. This is a problem because when you pull the clutch in, the lever is supposed to turn towards the front of the bike.

I realized that if I pulled the lever out a little bit, it can swing freely but won't go all the way back in.

So I lubed the cable and put everything back together with the lever moving freely but sticking out a bit. I took the bike around the parking lot and it seemed to shift gears fine... but the fact that the lever isn't in its original position is bugging me.. and who knows maybe the part will rattle lose or something

Anyways, does anyone know what this part is for exactly and how I can get it installed propertly?

A Picture of the lever pulled out from the bike but fully mobile

A Picture of the lever pushed all the way into the bike (the way it originally was) but only rotating towards the back of the bike.
sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #2
kkim

Jerry,

You have a PM.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2009, 01:14 AM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Sixstring or KKim please tell us what happened and what the cure is in case this happens to one of us while lubing our cables. Thanks.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #4
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

The answer is simple don’t “F” about with things you don’t know about.
The moral of the story is simple if works don’t fix it.

Steve

Old June 27th, 2009, 02:25 AM   #5
Snake

The only way to learn is to do.

Old June 27th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #6
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
The only way to learn is to do.
Agree 100%

Old June 27th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #7
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Welcome Jerry!

Old June 27th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #8
Snake

Welcome Jerry.

Old June 27th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #9
kkim

My offer to Jerry was for some documentation that might help. I have no idea what the problem could be, but from the sound of it, something fell out of place when he pulled the lever back in the actuating mechanism and by lifting it, it's working around it. Looking at the service manual, isn't clear how the mechanism works, so I suspect he might need to pull the cover to fix the cause.

Maybe Purspeed, w/ his recent clutch experience, can help.

Old June 27th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #10
sixstring
ninjette.org member

Making Progress

Well, looking that the service manual benevolently provide my kkim, it seems the best way to repair this thing would be to remove the clutch cover (pg 167 of the service manual).

I'll need to run out and grab some silicone sealant.

Old June 27th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #11
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

On the other bikes, its a pinion gear. You have alignment marks to match up when putting the cover on. Never seen inside this 250r, can kinda see thru the oil filler..... Anyway, looks like the cover is gonna have to come off to fix it. Guess there alignment mark is putting the lever full counter clockwise when putting cover on.

Some other bikes we owned needed the clutch done often. We would just lean the bike over on its left side(not on the ground), and take the cover off without loosing any oil. The gasket usually stayed intact too, could reuse them over and over.

Good luck!
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #12
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Hello Jerry,

I just completed a successful installation of my clutch and clutch cable. I have quite a few pictures that I will have to sort and crop in order to post the tech article.

What I am going to do is crop a few of the images and post them momentarily. This should give you a good visualization of what is happening.

In short, your clutch release should be seated all of the way forward. We are going to try to get it seated without taking off the clutch cover, but if this doesn't work, you will have to remove the clutch cover.

It's actually quite simple, but it will require fresh oil and a fresh clutch cover gasket (as well as a torque wrench).

At the same time, the clutch release is not suppose to pulled out because it could cause the sealing ring (rubber) to tear and leak oil. Now, off of the record, I pulled my out about the same distance as yours and mine seems okay. As long as you don't have a boss sticking out (mine didn't), it should not cause any problems. But, I do want you to be aware of this potential problem.

Basically, that clutch release lever has a cut-out (that you cannot see) that latches on to a pin with a shoulder. This pin gets pulled outward to release pressure from the clutch plates.

You have to fully seat the clutch release lever by first turning it counter clockwise so that it sits at the 3:00o'clock position. Push it all the way in. Then, rotate it 180-degrees counterclockwise so that it catches the pin.

There is a small possibility that there is little oil on that latch, so you may wish to (without dropping the bike) tilt the bike as far to the right (opposite side of kickstand) so that it'll lube up the two parts.

Again, rotate the clutch release to the 3 o'clock position and then fully seat the clutch release. Then, rotate it 180-degrees counterclockwise and it should latch onto the pin. (remember, this is without the clutch cable attached).

Now, once you feel it attached and in the normal position, rotate it out again (carefully) and put in the cable and, again, rotate it counterclockwise.

I'll post pictures shortly...

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #13
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Here are the images for you...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch9.jpg (115.6 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg clutch8.jpg (83.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg clutch7.jpg (107.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg clutch6.jpg (80.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: gif clutch5.gif (167.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: gif clutch4.gif (149.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: gif clutch3.gif (291.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: gif clutch2.gif (145.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: gif clutch1.gif (309.5 KB, 67 views)

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)

Old June 27th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #14
sixstring
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the great help guys! And pictures too!! WOW

So I didn't manage to scrape the tools together to take the cover off but I played around with the mechanism some more and here's what I found:

If I pushed the lever ALL the way into the clutch cover, it's stuck in sort of a 10 o clock position. BUT, if I pulled it out ever so slightly (About 2-3mm), I could rotate it to the 1 or 2 o clock position (which is the correct position).

So I reattached my clutch cable and thats how my bike sits now. I took it for a ride in the country side (about 20kms) and everything seemed fine. However, the damn thing still isn't pushed all the way in ... that combined with the fact that I may have damaged the rubber (not sure, didn't really look) the Purspeed was talking about is getting me nervous.

Hey Purspeed, what did you mean by 'boss' in this sentence:

"As long as you don't have a boss sticking out (mine didn't), it should not cause any problems. But, I do want you to be aware of this potential problem."

Is things rubber thing like an o-ring or something more fragile than that?

Looking that the pictures you've provided, I can't picture where the shaft would latch on to... the round disc seems to have no hold or anything for the pin to go into.

Old June 27th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #15
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

In the factory manual, they talk about a small, round metal protrusion that is on the clutch release (inside the case area). If you pull the clutch release out, presumably the protrusion can create a cut in the round, rubber seal. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure it's fine.

The rubber piece hugs the clutch release and is about 3/8" long. It provides the seal and shouldn't be that fragile, especially on a new bike.

If you look at the shaft piece sticking out and then look at the inside of the clutch cover, you will notice this long black "thing" in the center. That "thing" is the clutch release (on the inside of the clutch cover).
Attached Images
File Type: gif clutchA.gif (253.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: gif clutchB.gif (197.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: gif clutchC.gif (226.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: gif clutchD.gif (204.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: gif clutchE.gif (218.8 KB, 63 views)

Old September 18th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #16
Ninja06
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

Hey guys,

New to the forum and I found this thread with a search I did. I had a similar problem with my bike (2006 Ninja 250). I can't seem to get the clutch (handle) or the clutch lever (engine) to "return" to the normal position "about 10 or 11 o'clock". I can reach down and push the lever back towards the back of the bike, and it's fine. once I pull the clutch handle in, it pulls forward as to dis-engage the clutch for shifting but when I let go of the handle, it only returns slightly. I have a LOT of play in the handle. I have taken loose the cable from both ends and tested the movement, the handle, cable and the lever all move with ease and is very smooth. If I had not seen the pictures above, I would have thought there was a spring or something that pulled the lever (engine side) back into place when you let go of the clutch handle. There isn't anything there. So I'm stumped as to why I can't get the clutch lever & handle to return to the static position that it sits in when the handle is not touched and should be extended out away from the grip. As it sits now, the handle just flops back and forth until I reach down and "push" the LEVER (engine side) toward the back of the bike, then the handle POPS out and sits there but still has NO tension on it.

Any help would be great. thanks
Leo
Ninja06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #17
kkim

have you tried adjusting the cable at the engine end of the cable?

Old September 19th, 2009, 04:12 AM   #18
sixstring
ninjette.org member

Hi Ninja06,

Your right, theres no spring there. What that lever actually does is disengage your clutch which requires ALOT of force to do. In other words, When that lever is sitting at the 10/11 o clock position you shouldn't be able to push the lever towards the front of the bike at all. If you can, then its possible that the pin that the lever is attached to isn't seated properly inside the clutch box.

Old September 19th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #19
Ninja06
ninjette.org newbie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
have you tried adjusting the cable at the engine end of the cable?
Yes, Top & bottom. I have it just happened all of a sudden. I came home and parked it. haven't rode in a few weeks. Then went to ride and almost NO clutch. Handle was flopping back and forth.

Thanks
Leo

Old September 19th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #20
kkim

hmmm... that sounds strange.

is the clutch performing normally when used to drop the bike into gear?

Old September 19th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #21
Ninja06
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
Hi Ninja06,

Your right, theres no spring there. What that lever actually does is disengage your clutch which requires ALOT of force to do. In other words, When that lever is sitting at the 10/11 o clock position you shouldn't be able to push the lever towards the front of the bike at all. If you can, then its possible that the pin that the lever is attached to isn't seated properly inside the clutch box.
The pin is actually all the way down, and I can rotate it to the point were I can pull it out. Then when I put it back in, it goes all the way down and I can rotate it to the 'Stop' point (to the front) farther than it will usually sit, almost to the point of all the way engaged. I started it up and I have almost NO play in the clutch. I let go of what clutch there is and it lurches forward (hardly no play). Could the 'clutch plates' be stuck in a certain position and not returned to normal? or the hub nut came loose on the pusher rod? (the part that the release lever grabs to pull the clutch)

Thanks,
Leo

Fixed problem:

I suppose in the few steps it takes to adjust the clutch, I must have missed a couple. I only get to work on it at night, so that didn't help. Did the clutch adjustment procedures in the daylight & did them slowly! Hey I got my clutch back. I think one of the nuts had come loose earlier on and caused the problem. Who knows. Thanks to all who replied.

Last futzed with by Ninja06; September 21st, 2009 at 03:54 PM.

Old April 12th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #22
Haider87
Learning by doing

Name: Haider

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Hey awesome humans beings.

I just found this thread after searching google for "clutch release shaft sticking out" and lo-and-behold i found a ninja 250r forum, which is the bike I'm having this problem with.

So I re-read this thread twice, and i am happy to see a possibility of fixing this without taking off the clutch cover, and even better that I don't have to buy a new clutch cover gasket.

I'm just wondering if anyone wants to suggest anything else before I go through with the operation, and also can I use another kind of sealer or do I need k-bond?

Thanks all, and if any motorheads are in the Berkeley area, I'd love to pick your brain apart if you're into getting free meals.

Peace,

Haider
Haider87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #23
ckm1411
ninjette.org newbie

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Need help asap! Clutch problems i think :/

I have a 2004 ninja 250r and im having lots of trouble. When i start bike and put it in first, you can feel it engage. It kinda of moves. But ill let off clutch and it goes no where. What could be a possible solution to this? Please help!
ckm1411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #24
Chad4434
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chad

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250r

How does the clutch spring back if it doesnt use a spring?
Chad4434 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2014, 07:11 AM   #25
eddyble
ninjette.org member

Name: Edward

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

I know this thread is incredibly old but i have also managed to stuff this up...

The instructions didn't work unfortunately and i'm at a loss as to what to do. I could remove the clutch case etc. but i don't really want to.

Any suggestions?

Here's a Vid of where i am currently

Link to original page on YouTube.

eddyble is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2017, 07:55 AM   #26
ninjarrr
ninjette.org member

Name: Nin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250RRRRR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyble View Post
I know this thread is incredibly old but i have also managed to stuff this up...

The instructions didn't work unfortunately and i'm at a loss as to what to do. I could remove the clutch case etc. but i don't really want to.

Any suggestions?

Here's a Vid of where i am currently
Did you get this fixed in the end? I'm about to attempt the same fix on mine.

Old August 31st, 2017, 09:30 AM   #27
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
This is much easier to do by engaging the cable at release-lever first.
Trying to flip the release-lever the other way will just mess up the innards.
Connect the lower end of clutch cable to release-lever.
Loosen and shorten the housing with adjusters on both ends.
Install at clutch-lever on handlebar
Tighten with lower adjuster and lock in place.
Tighten clutch-lever adjuster so release is around middle of stroke.

That's it!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2017, 08:28 AM   #28
ninjarrr
ninjette.org member

Name: Nin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250RRRRR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
This is much easier to do by engaging the cable at release-lever first.
Trying to flip the release-lever the other way will just mess up the innards.
Connect the lower end of clutch cable to release-lever.
Loosen and shorten the housing with adjusters on both ends.
Install at clutch-lever on handlebar
Tighten with lower adjuster and lock in place.
Tighten clutch-lever adjuster so release is around middle of stroke.

That's it!
I have already tried to swivel the release lever 360 degrees and so have the same problem as the original post of it now coming out easily.

Will the above still work or do I need to first re-seat the comp clutch rod?

Old September 9th, 2017, 07:16 PM   #29
KikRox
ninjette.org member

Name: Nein

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r se

Lol to fix this all you have to do is disconnect the cable from the lever first then losen the engine side, disconnect it from the bracket on the engine and then rotate the shaft until it seats then place the tab in the proper position and reconnect the cable. Doesn't require any opening of the clutch case. I suggest not doing that unless you have a new gasket.