ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 25th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #1
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Screw in tire....

...and that is what I found when I got home from work today. Fortunately I didn't wreck (still holding air) and have some time before I have to be at work tomorrow and the repair shop is about 2 miles away - albeit very overpriced.
So.... since I have plenty of tread left, I would prefer to patch, but am finding information on-line about the subject unclear...... is this an automatic tire replacement, or is a patch a viable long-term option?

I am also at 7,000 miles, and planned on doing my 7.5K scheduled maintenance in about a month..... would there be any problem doing it early while I get the tire done (warranty wise that is)? If nothing else, at least I might have some leverage in getting a package deal for all the maintenance, the shop across town is quoting $100 less for the 7.5K alone.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

It's one of those things that you'll never get a concensus on. Some feel a patched tire is immediately unsafe. Others feel it's fine in all cases. Others feel it's fine in some cases, but only certain types of patching.

I've run thousands of miles on plugged tires with nary an issue, and would have spent many hundreds (if not thousands) more $ if I immediately replaced every tire with a nail or screw in it with a brand new one. One smack in the middle of the tire's tread area seems to be the easiest and least risky to patch, if it punctured closer to the sidewall of a motorcycle tire, it seems to be riskier to patch and less likely to survive many more miles.

If the tire already has 7k+ miles on it though, I'd be happy to have gotten that kind of life out of it and would think it would be time for replacement soon anyway. If you're considering doing the 7500 mile service at the same time for convenience or to save some $, I'd be inclined to agree with you. +/- 500 miles doesn't mean a whit to the wear on the engine or any other part of the bike that is looked at during that service; it's just a rough guideline.

The tire patching kit I carry with me is the first one on this page.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #3
headshrink

If it hadn't happened, I estimate another 5K out of that tire.

Assuming the dealer refuses to patch, should I spring for a pair, or replace individually?

Old February 25th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #4
kkim

is this a front or rear tire? where on the tire is the screw located?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #5
headshrink

Rear tire... The screw is not dead on, but in the middle-ish of tire. In case it makes a difference, it is in the "meaty" part of the tread, not the grove.... don't know how else to describe it.

Old February 25th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #6
kkim

If it were me, I'd plug it. It sounds you don't push the bike in the twisties much if you are getting that type of miles out of a rear tire.

That being said, a plug is only as good as whoever installs it. Make sure the people who plug it are tire pros and have a good reputation of repairing tires.

If any of what I've said makes you uncomfortable in the least, just replace the rear tire with a like model. Which brand tire did yours come with?

Old February 25th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #7
headshrink

They are Dunlops.

Old February 25th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #8
kkim

Unfortunately the Dunlops are not available in our sizes in the US.

Fortunately, though, Richard has some of these tires for sale as take offs.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13607

If you are thinking of replacing the tire, just do the rear.... no need to do both.

Hope that helps.

Old February 25th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #9
headshrink

I'm not following.... I'm in the US, how can they not be available? Is what comes on the bike and "loose" different?

Old February 25th, 2009, 11:15 PM   #10
kkim

do a search online and see if you can find them. They weren't available last year... they might be now.

Old February 25th, 2009, 11:15 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

They are only available at the Kawasaki dealer as OEM replacement tires, which means the pricing is going to be insane. Dunlop still doesn't sell the 110/70/17 & 130/70/17 sizes for the GT501 in the US, other than to the OEM's. (at least the last time I checked). May be worth asking your dealer, but keep in mind that a competitive price for a front tire on the bike is around $85, and maybe $105 for the rear. My hunch is that Kawi would want $150 for the front and $225 for the rear.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old February 25th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #12
kkim

yep, which is why I was steering him to a ready source right here in the US at a great price.

Old February 25th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #13
headshrink

Sounds good, but the only prob is that it is my commuter and I need me some tires yesterday.

Old February 26th, 2009, 12:02 AM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Admittedly this won't help you today or tomorrow, but you may consider stocking at least 1 set of tires that you like in your garage. You know you're going to need them at some point, and that way whenever you do all you need to do is take the wheel in and get 'em mounted for $20 or so and you're on your way. It insulates you in the future from the "I need 'em today and I'll pay whatever someone asks" problem.

Old February 26th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #15
headshrink

very good point... gotta start savin' for them

Old February 27th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #16
headshrink

Update:
I took it in yesterday and, as expected, they won't patch it.... he commented on what a bummer it was because it looked like a new tire (but hey, I did squeeze those chicken strips to near nothing). I am waiting to see what the resolution is because he said he wasn't sure if he had my size in stock, got my OK to use a different brand if necessary, but would be like-size and kind. Because of the placement and condition of the tire & screw, he said there is a POSSIBILITY it may not be punctured all the way through, and if that is the case no replacement is necessary..... I'm not crossing my fingers on that one.

Since I was there, I asked him to do the 7.5K service, and he agreed that +/-500 miles doesn't mean anything (Dang, I just remembered I forgot to get rid of that Fram filter - hope that won't be an issue, but doubt it) I asked about a discount if I did all this work there (I started adding in little jobs), and I got a little song and dance about being cheapest in town (define town, they are one of the most $$$), but he did give me 15% off as a "winter discount" - I think the WD is only if you ask. We were also talking about doing brakes (I planned to do it, but didn't want to bother if I was dropping a big load on work anyways... plus he wasn't going to charge for labor on pad replacement, just parts and labor for bleed if necessary. In the end he said I could squeeze another 1000mi. out of the pads, so I decided to wait. He did say my rear rotor was pretty grooved, but could run another set of pads through it before it was critical (my word), so I'm waiting until then.
So, long story short, I'm waiting to pick it up and am expecting the rear tire to be replaced, 7.5k service and they are re-torquing the front sprocket nut (so I can change out the sprocket later, as I have discussed in previous threads).

I'm expecting a bill for $550, but we shall see what happens.

Old February 28th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #17
headshrink

Picked it up this afternoon.... actually payed $25 less then quoted (that counted being charged for a 3rd qt. of oil????).

The tire I was given is a Pirelli and is way grippier than the Dunlop. The thing looked scuffed after 10mi. if riding..... I hope it is still intact by the end of next week!
Valves were still withing spec (barely), so they weren't touched. Carbs were a little out of sync. Also, front tire was starting to get a little cupped from being under inflated.... which really means I have to now buy a higher quality gauge, since I do check it all the time and it never seems to loose air.

Should there be any concern over the difference of front to rear grip?