ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 26th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #1
Gregular
Not on the rug... man

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Diablo Black Ninja 250r, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675 Special Edition

Question Dan Kyle's Quick turn throttle question

Need a liitle bit of help

So here's the throttle tube installed

Just below the housing (about 5mm) there's a raised lip.
Are the grips meant to go over this?

Because my heated grips just will not go over this without some serious force and I just wanted to check before I maybe do some damage

Old February 26th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #2
kkim

I slid my stock grip back up over that ridge, but it would still work if you didn't. I think the ridge is there to prevent the throttle grip from sliding off the tube, but once on, that would be pretty hard to do. Did you use some sort of glue/adhesive when you slid the grip onto the tube?

Also, with your grip not over the ridge, how's the other side?? Is the grip sticking out past the end of the throttle tube? If so, make sure it won't hang up on anything.

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #3
Buffalony
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

I assume their soap and water. Do our stockies have this ridge?
Buffalony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #4
kkim

I never install grips with only soap and/or water. Too many experiences when the grips get wet that they start slipping/rotating on the bars.

I used clear spray paint on mine. You can also use hairspray or they actually sell a grip glue (imagine that ), but for me they do their job too well and grip removal is a bear.

Can't remember if the stock tube has the ridge or not.

Old February 26th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #5
ak_907_ak
ninjette.org member

Name: Nico

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

yeah, the stock tube is like that too, and your throttle grip has a notch in the rubber too.
I seem to have trouble with my grips, I used clear primer, sprayed the bar and inside of the grips, but they still wont stay put. Any ideas?

Old February 26th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #6
kkim

sounds like you had a bit of grease on the tube or grips when you applied the paint and it prevented the paint from bonding well. Take the grip back off, clean up the parts with something to remove the grease and try again. If all else fails, there's grip glue.

Old February 26th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #7
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

Use a shot of compressed air to remove/install grips. Like f^&*^&^ing magic I tell ya!

Old February 28th, 2009, 03:14 AM   #8
Gregular
Not on the rug... man

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Diablo Black Ninja 250r, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675 Special Edition

Awesome, thanks for the help.
My heated grips don't have the recess inside to catch on that lip and the grip has a hard inner edge. So had to file the enough of the lip off till it fitted