Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old January 30th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[visordown.com] - McGuinness inducted into Motor Sport Hall of Fame

Image: Honda Racing

TWENTY-time Isle of Man TT winner John McGuinness has been inducted into the Motor Sport Hall of Fame after attending a ceremony at the Royal Opera House in London's Covent Garden last night.

McGuinness joins 28 other automotive legends in the Hall of Fame which includes Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher, but the Honda TT Legend rider is only the third motorcycle racer to achieve this accolade following Giacomo Agostini and John Surtees.

“I can’t believe it, it’s been an amazing journey. I was first put on a motorbike when I was three-years-old by my dad, and I’ve come a long way since then. To see my name up there with so many greats of our sport is just a massive honour," said McGuinness.

“Competing in the TT is such a thrill; just to ride it is exhilarating in itself, and to win there is really special – when you hear your national anthem playing, it’s something incredible."

McGuinness continued: "I never honestly thought I would be standing here with 20 wins; if I get one or two more, that would obviously be fantastic, but if I don’t then I’ve still had a great career, and it certainly won’t be through any lack of trying!”

"I’m nearly 42 and I look pretty average, but in my head I feel pretty good. I’ll carry on for one or two more years yet. I felt a bit nervous to be honest, there are so many champions on four wheels and two, but to see my name up there with the greats is a massive honour.”

The 41-year-old was inducted into the Hall of Fame alongside Formula One driver Alain Prost, motorsport engineer Ross Brawn and 1976 F1 Champion the late James Hunt.

Related Content

2014 Triumph Classics
Provisional 2014 World Superbike calendar released
2014 MotoGP calendar updated
Hutchinson signs with new BSB team FFX Yamaha
Provisional MotoGP entry list confirms Camier joins Iodaracing

Click here for full story...