ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #1
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

49.4 mpg?

So I finally made it to the gas station for two consecutive fill-ups, and I was less than impressed with my mileage. Now I think it's mostly how I ride, but it is possible that part of it is due to my jetting as well?
When I ride, I tend to take off hard from lights (and I wonder why my WRX is down to 18 mpg), and I don't shift very much - I tend to ride in the upper range of the RPMs rather than shifting and staying in lower RPMs. For example, I didn't even realize it yesterday, but when I was on the highway heading to work, I never actually shifted into 6th - I had been too busy focusing on the cages as I was getting on, and trying to quickly and smoothly accelerate, that when I started down the mountain, I didn't think about shifting again.... most of our 70 mile ride yesterday was in the 40 - 55 mph range and I was mostly in 3rd, shifting up to 4th above 47 or so when I just couldn't take the whine anymore... I just really prefer to be in the lower gear if I can, as then I don't have to downshift as much for curves and turns...
I guess my question is, does this seem normal? If I shift more, will I get better mileage?

On a completely unrelated note for the most part, I have been more and more impressed with her the more I ride. If I didn't know that hte only thing I changed last week was putting in HIDs and wiring in some LED accessory signals and brake lights, I would swear that I had done a performance mod to her. She just seemed much more responsive, and lighter, and peppy. I've been using that damn elliptical trainer we bought every night for 30 minutes (as I sit here with the ice pack on my knees after using it), and I've seen very noticeable changes in muscle tone in my core, glutes, thighs, calves, arms.... I guess my increasing fitness could be part of it, but she felt amazing yesterday!

Old July 8th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #2
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Maybe its because you were riding with an almost empty tank? There's quite a difference of weight and nimbleness when the fuel tank is empty VS full .

50 MPG is good for the way you ride, that's what mine is if I drive somewhat aggressively..I go easily over 60 when I keep the RPM low and throttle closed.

BTW... I used to have a WRX...and I MISS IT

Old July 8th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #3
noche_caliente

I only had to put 2.8 gallons in her yesterday - it wasn't a complete tank, but where we were going there weren't going to be any stations, so I didn't want to end up like Nick and run out of gas in the middle of nowhere

Old July 8th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #4
kkim

it's your driving habits.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #5
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
49.5 mpg is not bad at all for the kind of riding you do. Don't worry about the mileage and just have fun with it.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #6
Bsmith
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250 R.I.P.

Heh i get about 35 if I don't behave. I'm not complaining at all. I have a SC in my truck and I get 18 on the highway with it. 9 in town if I don't behave.
Bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #7
noche_caliente

that's what I was afraid of oh well, it's still way better than the 18 mpg with the WRX, right?

Old July 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #8
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
it's your driving habits.

Daily driving, I rarely go over 7 or 8k rpm, and I usually get around 60. I have about a 3 mile commute and I don't believe she is warmed enough to really throttle it. If I am out and about running errands or just riding, I will get into more.

Freeway riding, cruising around 75 80, I get around 55.

Try tank of gas while riding it less aggressive and see what your milage is. The first car I bought, '84 T bird, got around 14 in town. My dad suggested I drive like I have an egg under my foot. Milage jumped up to around 20.

nb

Old July 8th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #9
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
that's what I was afraid of oh well, it's still way better than the 18 mpg with the WRX, right?
Yes much better. Enjoy the ride and smile as you ride past the gas pumps.

Old July 8th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #10
kkim

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the way you are using the bike, I'm just saying your throttle habits directly affect MPG, as it should. If you are happy with your riding habits, don't sweat it. The main thing is that you are comfortable with how you ride and that you feel in total control of the bike at all times.

I've stopped keeping track of my MPG and ride the bike as I feel on any particular day/time. I fill my bike from a gas can before each ride and have no idea how many gallons it takes to fill the tank. The worst it can be is 30mpg and the most is around 60. I'm happy with whatever mileage I get, as long as I'm having fun doing it.

Have fun, ride safe.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #11
robb08
ninjette.org newbie

Name: rob

Motorcycle(s): 250r

42mpg.
Cause=faulty CDI.
Maybe yours too?
robb08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #12
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I typically get 45 to 50 MPG riding in the city, what with all the stops and traffic.
Out on the open highway I get closer to 58-60 MPG.

Old July 9th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #13
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I got 42mpg out of my last fill-up.....stock lol Have some good, well paved, clean mountain roads around here...
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2009, 06:47 AM   #14
NJD022588
============

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Just under 50mpg is what I get on the roads down there since I'm on the throttle a lot. I'm curious to see what mpg I get here since my style of riding is much less "sporty"
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2009, 07:00 AM   #15
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Yup, it's your throttle useage! Ride and be happy. I can get from low 50s to low 60s miles per gallon depending on how I ride. I usually refuel when the needle indicates empty or 240 miles, whichever comes first. The most I've ever put in it was 3.8 gallons.

Old July 9th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #16
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I just checked my mileage and i can't believe i'm doing between 60-70 mpg and yes it's from kilometres per litre to miles per us gallon. I guess i really drive like an old lady come to think of it i always ride the speed limit or below on the side roads and almost no city driving.

Old July 9th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #17
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
I just checked my mileage and i can't believe i'm doing between 60-70 mpg and yes it's from kilometres per litre to miles per us gallon. I guess i really drive like an old lady come to think of it i always ride the speed limit or below on the side roads and almost no city driving.

I figured you for a speed demon tearing up the twisties.

Old July 9th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #18
postie1686
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): kawasaki ninja 250r

i know my bike it all about how hard you twist that grip. i ride with all of my buddies and there all on 600cc bikes, so me on the little guy i take off from the stops hard to keep up and not fall back. i just filled my bike the trip read 231 miles, my gas receipt says 3.872 gallons so thats 59.65 mpg and im happy with that. i was out of town for to weeks and my dad was taking my bike to work every day and he says when he figured his it 67.2 nothing setup diff on the bike just him not riding as hard id guess.

idk does it feel boggy? maybe check the airbox. my stock foam air filter started falling apart and bunching up.
postie1686 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #19
rustler753
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 09' Ninja 250 (SOLD); 00' CBR 929RR

I get 55 mpg for canyon enthusiastic riding, I'm pleased as punch.
rustler753 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2009, 08:32 AM   #20
CLSully826
ninjette.org member

Name: Chance

Motorcycle(s): 04 Yamaha R6

I've seen a Top Gear episode comparing gas mileage of a Toyota Prius against a BMW M3. They raced the Prius around a track as fast as it could go, with the M3 just keeping up with it. In the end the M3 had a better mpg than the Prius because it wasn't being pushed as hard as the Prius. Just goes to show that even though our little 250's are supposed to get great gas mileage, it all comes down to how you drive it.
CLSully826 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #21
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLSully826 View Post
I've seen a Top Gear episode comparing gas mileage of a Toyota Prius against a BMW M3. They raced the Prius around a track as fast as it could go, with the M3 just keeping up with it. In the end the M3 had a better mpg than the Prius because it wasn't being pushed as hard as the Prius. Just goes to show that even though our little 250's are supposed to get great gas mileage, it all comes down to how you drive it.
Agreed, that was a great episode.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #22
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I wonder if the problem is at least partially evaporation. The last couple of weeks it has been unusually hot and dry here, yet I haven't been riding much because I've been doing job interviews and wearing a suit & tie to these.
Today I rode to work, saw I was low on gas and stopped to fill up. I was surprised to see my bike took a fair bit more gas than usual. When I checked the mileage it worked out to be only 41 MPG, which is a good 10% or more lower than usual.

Old July 10th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #23
noche_caliente

or it could be the CDI issue, if it's been hotter, that could be causing the CDI to act up for you

Old August 5th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #24
noche_caliente

She redeemed herself on the parkway this weekend with over 77 mpg!

Old October 18th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #25
Green Streak
Ninjette Owner

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, a puddle of Ninja ZX6

I got over 70 mpg on the parkway this summer too. It was twisty and steep. I guess it is just because the RPMs were lower, because it certainly seemed like it was working the engine harder going up those mountains but on the way down it coasts mostly so I guess it makes up for it.(and then some evidently) I do mostly highway driving at higher RPMs and I just hate that I only get around 49mpg on a relatively flat highway. I wish I worked up in the mountains. If I change the gearing will it get better gas mileage on the highway since it is at a lower RPM like it was in the mountains? Seriously, I shouldn't complain. I would not get 49MPGs in my car. I get about 35MPGs on the highway.

Old October 18th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #26
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

My pregens very best was 56 so far. I average 48 to 52.

Old October 18th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #27
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

I drive quite aggressively. I am either taking short trips for my commute (a couple of miles of city driving), or if I do anything extra I am pushing it almost like I stole it. I even top it out at least once a day . I consistently get 45mpg since the first few tanks, which were in the low 50s when I was still learning and more cautious.
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #28
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoNinja View Post
i have only 300 miles on my bike so i havent calculated the mpg's.

my gas gauge is wierd, even when i fill up it doesnt go above about 75%, never to the top. ive read it happens to other folks too so im not worried.

how are you guys calculating your mileage? i know i divide the miles by gallons.

but when do i fill up? when the fuel light turns on?
You have a fuel light on your 2010?? I refuel when it's on E which is generally around 185-200 miles. Just divide your miles by how many gallons you put in the tank til it's full. My gauge is never above 3/4 either. I refuel upright as well.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #29
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
NachoNinja- doesn't matter, as long as you fill up to the same point every time (say the bottom of the filler neck or so). Don't be fooled by how much gas is stored above the filler neck (when the bike is upright), I can easily put another quart in the tank once the gas reaches the bottom of the filler neck...

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #30
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

I have honestly not tried to see how much MPG I get. I know I spend around 7 bucks a week for commute riding. Better then the 30 or so I spend on the truck so I am happy with it. Some days are better then others but like a lot I am very heavy on tue throttle. What can I say I love fast take offs and acceleration lol.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #31
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

I take short trips and beat the hell out of my bike and consistently get 45mpg :P . When I first got it and spent hours at a time cruising around at calm paces, I was getting around 54.

But hey, I'll gladly pay an extra couple bucks a week for that much more happiness :P .

Old November 5th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #32
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

i average about 48. if I wring it's neck trying to keep up with the 600's and litrebikes, i get about 40. I don't care, it's still better than what I get in the cage, and it's a hell of a lot more fun. I really think you can get better mileage in town rather than on the highway since you have to be on the gas a lot harder than putting around town.
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #33
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I'm lucky to get mid 40s. I have gotten under 40 routinely.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2017, 02:03 PM   #34
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
i'm getting 40 mpg.