ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:04 AM   #1
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

Name: oscar

Motorcycle(s): blk ninja 250 2008

playing with my pre-load

I thought i had mine pre-load set till i went on the freeway to try it there and i it felt like it was all over the place and it was not that windy , i'm around 150 , had the bike lower 1 inch front and rear and pre-load at 2 , guess ill keep trying different setting till it feels better

Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:14 AM   #2
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Could it also be that your rear's become misaligned? The preload would mainly feel spongy or stiff. But if your bike's not going in a straight line it could be a sign of something else... There's a post here for alignment and/or check the number of threads on the exposed bolt where you adjust the chain slack.
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:26 AM   #3
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

WOW, WHOPPER of a bad thread title, dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
There's a post here for alignment and/or check the number of threads on the exposed bolt where you adjust the chain slack.
Sorry, but that's been proven to be unreliable from bike to bike. Unless you KNOW that your bike is good to go with this method, it's not safe to assume anything, although the alignment issue will surely cause the bike to feel like it's all over the road.

Is this the first ride after the lowering?

Are you sure that everything is stable with the lowering? If it's even as little as 1/2 inch different from perfect 1 inch front and rear, it'll change the handling somewhat.

What tires and pressures are you rolling on? Everything tight from the lowering? What method/parts did you use to lower the bike?

Have you done anything else to the bike lately? I'm 155lbs, 6 foot. Add gear, and I roll on BT090s set to 28f/30r with the preload set to 1. Even when I was rolling on the GT501s @ 28f/32r, #1 worked best for me. #2+ just seems too harsh for the roads that I have around here, which are pretty bad.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 12:25 PM   #4
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Oscar, I noticed the same thing when I bumped mine up to 2 - I felt better with it at 1 - seemed happier to me at high speeds that way - could be all in my head, but so be it

As for your thread title, I'm not sure that's something you want to go advertising to everyone - my mama always told me that there are some things that are too private to share with everyone

Old June 22nd, 2009, 01:10 PM   #5
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
I got a chuckle from it too
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM   #6
Kolya1981
Generic User Title

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): Green 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, Slate 2009 Triumph StreetTriple R

I have mine set to 3, weigh 165lbs. I find it didn't affect freeway/straight line riding at all, just made the suspension feel tighter and less sloppy in the turns. At 3 it is still a much softer ride then how the KYB is set on my Triumph. I vote something is wrong on your bike, alignment or from when it was lowered.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kolya1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 02:48 PM   #7
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I must be a twisted sicko too. The thread title lured me in too.

Anyone use one of those laser alignment tools?

http://www.laser-lines.com/

Last futzed with by CC Cowboy; June 22nd, 2009 at 04:31 PM.
CC Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 03:52 PM   #8
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Sorry, but that's been proven to be unreliable from bike to bike. Unless you KNOW that your bike is good to go with this method, it's not safe to assume anything, although the alignment issue will surely cause the bike to feel like it's all over the road.
I'm actually confused now... I thought the string alignment check and counting the number of exposed threads was shown to work?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...2&postcount=23

Old June 22nd, 2009, 03:57 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The string alignment is guaranteed to work, and if you do it you can then confirm that the thread length is a decent proxy. If it is not inline in your bike, the swingarm is no longer inline with the bike, and there are bigger issues at play. (Unless the axle bolts have been replaced or modified in some way). There's also another tool you can make to carefully measure the distance from the rear axle to the swingarm pivot on each side (I think Banzai showed pics of it as well), which can also confirm alignment quite well, perhaps even a little quicker than the string method.

Only thing that is terribly inaccurate is the notches on the side of the swingarm, as measured by the sliding plates that are slid onto both sides of the rear axle.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 03:57 PM   #10
kkim

Quote:
I'm actually confused now... I thought the string alignment check and counting the number of exposed threads was shown to work?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...2&postcount=23
before I'd believe the hacks in that thread, I'd confirm with the string method that it supports the exposed thread method on your particular bike. Once you establish that it is, then you can use the exposed thread method to set the rear wheel alignment.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:33 PM   #11
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Guess I've got myself a project tmmrw. Thanks for the clarification

Old June 25th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #12
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

Quote:
I was thinking the saaaaaaaame thing
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #13
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

twist on the exposed thread method - using measuring device like a t-square, measure the center of the axle to the back of the swingarm and compare both sides of the swingarm. that would check that the axle is aligned in the swingarm. not saying its as accurate overall as stringing front and rear distance, but assuming swingarm bearings are good, frame and swingarm aren't bend, wouldnt this work rather? comments?
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #14
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
twist on the exposed thread method - using measuring device like a t-square, measure the center of the axle to the back of the swingarm and compare both sides of the swingarm. that would check that the axle is aligned in the swingarm. not saying its as accurate overall as stringing front and rear distance, but assuming swingarm bearings are good, frame and swingarm aren't bend, wouldnt this work rather? comments?
ok, near 1:30am so my typing and sentence building are failing - my apologies

Old June 26th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Maybe, but the measurement would have to be very precise for it to tell you what you need to know. That's why the string method works so well, as the slightest bit of misalignment and it shows up quite magnified by the time it gets to the front tire. The threads method is decent because it's easy to count 'em accurately, and a single thread is a pretty small distance. Give it a shot and compare your results to some of the other known methods and let us know what you find out.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old June 26th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #16
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Maybe, but the measurement would have to be very precise for it to tell you what you need to know. That's why the string method works so well, as the slightest bit of misalignment and it shows up quite magnified by the time it gets to the front tire. The threads method is decent because it's easy to count 'em accurately, and a single thread is a pretty small distance. Give it a shot and compare your results to some of the other known methods and let us know what you find out.
Will do and report back. Nice that chain adjustments aren't that often. Benedit of less power I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 26th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #17
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Just wanted to mention that I've confirmed the exposed thread method with the string method. Surprisingly, the swingarm marks are pretty close too.

Old June 26th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Surprisingly, the swingarm marks are pretty close too.
But they may not be the next time you check; the concern is twofold. Those plates move forward and back at least a mm when the axle nut is loosened, the axle doesn't fit firmly in the hole in the plates. Also, if the plates get unintentionally flipped after the wheel is replaced on the bike, the indexing mark isn't directly in the center of the plate, so they can be off another mm or two, even if the position of the axle never changed a whit.