ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Ohh Snap
420 President

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja grass color

Lawsuit yes or no

Someone pointed me in a lawsuit direction.

Just had an accident recently, left me with some nasty road rash, pain, ER bill, and yeah.

Anyone been in a similar situation? Thursday someone will meet up with me for further details.

Thanks
Ohh Snap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:40 PM   #2
kkim

as a last resort, possibly, but certainly not the first step in settling a case betweeen two parties.

details?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:42 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

What insurance coverage did you have? Only reason I ask is that if you weren't carrying legal insurance at the time, California law prohibits any award for pain & suffering in personal injury lawsuits like this, and that could make a difference between deciding if its worth it or not.

If you were carrying legal insurance, and you feel you're not being treated fairly by the responsible party's insurance, then a lawsuit may be appropriate.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:44 PM   #4
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
First see if the insurance will settle ot of court.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:49 PM   #5
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Seems more like a question for a lawyer familiar with your case..?

Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:03 PM   #6
Neema12
ninjette.org member

Name: Neema

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

Quote:
California law prohibits any award for pain & suffering in personal injury lawsuits like this
Just curious... why is take?
Neema12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:07 PM   #7
jola
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250R

If you aren't compensated justly by the offending party's insurance then you should absolutely sue. Don't look to get rich, just to correct the situation that has befallen you.
jola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:20 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neema12 View Post
Just curious... why is take?
Search for "california proposition 213", there's a ton of stuff on Google. It was passed back in 1996, as basically another penalty for driving illegally (uninsured). If you do not have legal insurance, and are involved in an accident, even if it is 100% somebody else's fault, you cannot sue for pain & suffering or any additional damages other than your direct costs due to that accident. One quote from here sums it up pretty well:

Quote:
Back in 1996, Californians tired of the effects of uninsured drivers on the system as a whole, overwhelmingly passed Proposition 213. Proposition 213 states that an injured driver must show the vehicle had liability insurance coverage at the time of an accident in order to collect "general damages" from the driver who was at fault for the accident. This applies even if the driver was not at fault in any way for the collision. Simply put, if you are involved in a car accident that was not your fault and suffered an injury as a result, and were either the owner or driver of the car that was not at fault, you must show there was liability insurance coverage on the car in order to be compensated for your "general damages". Under Proposition 213, passengers who are injured in an uninsured car that was not at fault in accident can still collect general damages in addition to economic damages, as long as they are not owners of the vehicle.

There is one exception to Proposition 213. This exception occurs when the driver of the "at fault" vehicle was under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the accident. In a case like this one, the driver or owner of the car that was not at fault can still collect general damages even if the car was uninsured at the time of the car accident.

Proposition 213 was the subject of intense and protracted litigation surrounding its provisions at the time it was enacted. It is now settled law and applies to all personal injury car accident cases in California. Your personal injury attorney should be well versed with Prop 213, its provisions and the means by which it may affect your individual case. Car accidents are the most common means by which people suffer personal injuries Experienced personal injury attorneys, therefore, are expert at all phases of the car accident injury case as well as the laws surrounding such cases.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #9
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Experienced personal injury attorneys, therefore, are expert at all phases of the car accident injury case as well as the laws surrounding such cases.

That statement alone seems to answer the question of the OP.

Old June 24th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #10
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

Personally, I don't think it's worth it, but I also don't know what your medical out of pocket is.

From reading your thread, I don't think you'll get much of an award (if any), if you and the old guy were traveling in the same direction - there's just too much risk mitigation that *could* have happened that didn't (and I'm not trying to talk down to you at all, I'm just giving an unbiased opinion). I just think that in this case the fees will outweigh the award.

Having said all that, though - it never hurts to talk to a good attorney.
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #11
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
Experienced personal injury attorneys, therefore, are expert at all phases of the car accident injury case as well as the laws surrounding such cases.

That statement alone seems to answer the question of the OP.
Agreed, the only person who can answer your question is an attorney. Speak to one.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #12
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Attorney, yes, lawsuit, you'll have to wait and see what the insurance company has to offer.

Old June 25th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #13
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2006

i would start dragging my foot while walking LOL

Old June 25th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #14
Ohh Snap
420 President

I am because it hurts.

UPDATE:

Insurance totaled my bike. They offered $4166 or $2336 and i get to keep it and fix it, with a salvage title. No Thanks. That through his insurance. Now i called mine, and they said that they should have no problem paying how much i payed for, $4860 OTD+ $300 extended warranty (which i canceled). I called back his insurance, and told them that its a brand new bike, 560 miles, and that is way to low, and she told me to fax her the bill of sale, so she can see that i payed $5200OTD. And she said she will forward it with the manager, and that they want to work with me and stuff. Ok.

My lawyer told me that he thinks it shouldn't be a problem to get the full amount for it. Also will start going to the doctor, no work, so i'll have to get reimbursed for that and for the time i didn't have my bike, also my helmet, and my gloves, and the ER bill, and prob other couple of things.

I don't know if i missed something but more coming soon.

My bike is totaled, im sad.

EDIT: I didn't even get a chance to show you guys my new Zero Gravity Double Bubble . Well it looks nice.

Old June 25th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #15
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Thats sucks. Are you going to get another bike? Whats your address so I can send you a bag of skittles?

Old June 25th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #16
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
Whats your address so I can send you a bag of skittles?
What? lol.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #17
P1NDLESK1N
ninjette.org member

Name: Dario

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Ninja 300 (Sold), 2016 Z1000

Matt. I love skittles.
P1NDLESK1N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #18
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Oh everyone who buys an exhaust in my gb gets a bags of skittles. He's still on the buy list until he gets another bike. I figured the skittles would help come his nerves.

Old June 28th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #19
Ohh Snap
420 President

haah thanks for that very kind of you.

yes i plan on getting another one, not sure if used or new yet, and not sure if an 08 or a 09.

i got my LED Taillight today and made me sad i have no use of it right now.

oh well on Monday i will find out how much they will give me for my bike, again.