ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 1st, 2009, 03:46 AM   #1
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

How not to drop the bike when using a rear stand!

I have seen a couple of posts where people say they dropped the bike while putting it on or taking it off a rear stand. I think Kelly mentioned it in his DIY, but just a reminder. Use a removable tie wrap, string, rope, or rubber band to squeeze the front brake, until the bike is mounted/removed. Also, if you still have the passenger seat on the bike, you can hold the strap on the passenger seat while raising/lowering the stand with the other hand. I keep a removable tie wrap next to my bike just for this purpose.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 10:13 AM   #2
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
Use a removable tie wrap, string, rope, or rubber band to squeeze the front brake, until the bike is mounted/removed.
Do you think thats a good idea? The bike kinda rolls backwards to the stand while putting it up. When the stand is in place ready to lift, I find myself holding the stand(left side wheel) with my left foot before final lifting. < letting the bike roll to the stand
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 10:14 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I do the same as you, Kerry. The trick for me is to just make darned sure that the spools are safely in the spool carriers before pushing hard enough to lift the bike up. Sometimes it takes a little doing if I didn't position the stand correctly under the first spool, and I need to make sure that things are in good shape prior to getting the bike off the ground.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 10:22 AM   #4
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I always make sure the front wheel is straight also. Kickstand down until I have the bike on the stand. Then I put it up while on the stand. Then kickstand down before I put bike down.

Old July 1st, 2009, 11:02 AM   #5
kkim

Sam,

The front brake rubber band trick was to hold the bike stable when in transit while using tie downs. I don't think I mentioned this in the lifting DIY.

If I did, I apologize and I'll remove it cause I agree with these other noobs that the bike should be free to move when raising and lowering the bike.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 11:04 AM   #6
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

I just make sure my husband is around to help me, it's easier with two people.

Old July 1st, 2009, 02:02 PM   #7
g21-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Sam,

The front brake rubber band trick was to hold the bike stable when in transit while using tie downs. I don't think I mentioned this in the lifting DIY.

If I did, I apologize and I'll remove it cause I agree with these other noobs that the bike should be free to move when raising and lowering the bike.
Kelly,

I forgot to mention one important little point. When I park my bike in the garage, I always have a small sheet of 1/2" cdx plywood (18"W x 30"L) under the front tire. This is a carry over from winter, when I wanted to keep the tire off the cement floor. The plywood slides just enough for the bike to come back onto the stand. In fact, I can actually reposition the bike by pushing on the stand and moving stand, plywood and bike. I also put a custom wooden block under the kickstand to level the bike, prior to lifting on the stand.

The couple of times that I forgot to put the tie wrap on, it scared the $#&^ out of me!

Old July 1st, 2009, 02:06 PM   #8
kkim

Park your bike for "winter"??? what's this "winter"??

Old July 1st, 2009, 02:12 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
I also put a custom wooden block...
Where can I find one of those fancy custom ones, all of mine are just run-of-the-mill standard wooden blocks.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 02:15 PM   #10
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Where can I find one of those fancy custom ones, all of mine are just run-of-the-mill standard wooden blocks.
why... have it custom made, of course!

Old July 1st, 2009, 02:18 PM   #11
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I'm lucky i always have someone around to hold for me. If i don't have anyone i just ride that day and don't do any maintenance.

Old July 1st, 2009, 03:45 PM   #12
g21-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Park your bike for "winter"??? what's this "winter"??
Yeh, yeh, I know. I did the stabil, etc. and plywood to protect my tires and then rode all winter. When I bought the bike in November, my wife said "You should have waited until the spring. You hate winter and won't ride it!" With that encouragement, I was bound to ride it....as much as possible.

Alex...Anything that you make, is custom....right? Well, I have a 2"x6"x48" along with another piece of 1/2" CDX plywood that I stack together. I cut the CDX to a 6" width (custom ) I didn't want to cut a block off the 2X, as I can use it for other things!

Boy, this is a rough crowd!

Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:46 AM   #13
Ken08Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R Candy Plasma Blue

I use the Pit Bull Forward Handle Rear stand. You stand next to the bike on the kickstand side holding the left handle bar in your left hand and lift the bike with your righthand. The only trouble is trying to get the stand fitted in the rightside spool, the muffler blocks your view.
Ken08Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:50 AM   #14
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken08Ninja View Post
I use the Pit Bull Forward Handle Rear stand. You stand next to the bike on the kickstand side holding the left handle bar in your left hand and lift the bike with your righthand.
That one looks like a real in pain in the butt to use.

Think I would have to find some way to secure to the spools first. Kinda like putting a center stand back on to use for maintenance(just a backwards one in this case).
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote