ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 26th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #1
zartan
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Bluetooth push to talk - bike to bike ????

Need some help....

When there is a need to talk to TR- I want a blue tooth type of intercom. I do not need to ans. the phone or listen to tunes. I just want a push to talk intercom that is sleek and not to huge on my helmet.

Push to talk is important because I mumble to myself when riding. I work out a lot of things outloud and sing and laugh and it is not something someone needs to hear on the other end.

I was looking at Blue ant because they look nice. But can not be sure it is push to talk. I will call support.... but in the mean time any suggestions????

No big hunking boxes mounted on my bike .... thanks for any suggestions.

Old April 26th, 2009, 01:54 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

If you want bike-to-bike communication, bluetooth isn't going to cut it. That's only useful for rider-to-passenger communication. (Unless you always ride just a few feet from eachother ).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #3
zartan

Said 490 feet . We ride pretty close. (used to that dirt bike stay out of dust thing...)

any experience with it cutting out??

http://www.myblueant.com/interphone_helmet_kit.htm

Old April 26th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #4
zartan

Just found this review on Amazon... maybe this answers my question...

You don't have to have it on all the time. It has about 700+ hours of standby, and 5 hours of talk-time. If you want to talk and it is on standby just press the button for 3 seconds and it hails the other party, they don't even have to press anything, you are connected.

Old April 26th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The reviews posted here seem middle of the road. Some positive, some not so much.

I don't believe that the units are using bluetooth for the intercom feature between 2 units; the bluetooth connection is just from a cell phone to the units themselves. The bluetooth spec isn't intended for use at > 33 feet. But saying "bluetooth" is sexier than "radio" for marketing purposes.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old April 26th, 2009, 02:41 AM   #6
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '11 Street Triple R

I've got a Blue Ant but I haven't used it for helmet-to-helmet com, just to link to my phone. I don't make a habit of talking on the phone while riding, but it's definitely nice when I'm out on day rides and the fiancee calls to make sure I'm still in once piece--much easier to answer and mumble, "Yahr, Emm stull uhlyve, wull beh horm im twunuh minish." Not because the microphone is bad but because I can't talk for crap with my face squished in my helmet (I think the Respro Foggy Mask may not help).

Old April 26th, 2009, 02:49 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Sallee View Post
...but it's definitely nice when I'm out on day rides and the fiancee calls to make sure I'm still in one piece...
[threadjack]

Ryan - Check out this thread and seriously consider picking one up. She can pull up your bike on the google map and see where you are at 10 minute intervals. Completely removes the need for you to call in or her to call you just to see what's going on, as well as provides coverage where cell phone coverage is spotty (like anywhere in Marin or further north on the coast, for example). It's Annie's favorite bike gadget, and has made it much easier for me to make ad hoc decisions on routing knowing that she doesn't have to worry about me.

[/threadjack]

Old April 26th, 2009, 06:47 AM   #8
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Zartan, I have been looking at the Nolan N-Com system but this looks alot better and you can use any helmet where with the Nolan you have to use theirs.

Thanks for the info. I will have to do more research and see which one I will get.

If you and your ride partner get a set please let us know how they work. 490 feet is not a bad range. Thats a little longer than a football field.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #9
Snake

Here is the link to the Nolan system.

http://ncom.nolan.it/it/n-com/index.html

Old April 26th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #10
zartan

We ride with Arai. My friend has a Nolan with the bells and whistle. He likes it alot.

We are leaning toward the blue ant but still open to advice and suggestions...

Thanks for the Links and imput!

Old April 26th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #11
ojameyo
MMMJami

Name: Jamey

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

My husband and I got the Cardo bike to bike intercom. It also has blue tooth for phone or GPS, AM/FM radio and attachment to hook up MP3 Player. We went on an hour ride and talked the whole way, Being our bikes are loud, we had no problem hearing at all.
Hope this helps out.
ojameyo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #12
zartan

thanks I will check them out.

Since I am not a Techie.. I get overwhelmed quickly

Old April 26th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #13
ojameyo
MMMJami

Name: Jamey

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

We got the set at Cycle Gear. They ran us around $380, but well worth it.
ojameyo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #14
dyeclan
Scooter Trash No0b

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 08 EX250R 'Gears of War' Theme Bike, ZG DB screen, cowl, progrips.

I have the Cardo Q2 also. It works really well. You can find kits on ebay at discounted prices, FWIW. It's small and subtle on the helmet, you won't even know it's there.
dyeclan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #15
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

The Scala Rider Q2 has a pretty long range (1000+ ft). You can get a pair of them on ebay for around $250. They can be PTT, but also can be triggered by talking.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Saw this link posted elsewhere today. It's a directory of all of the motorcycle intercoms that webbikeworld has reviewed in the last year or two.

Old April 27th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #17
Snake

Cool some more info!! Thank you!

Old April 28th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #18
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

The hubby and I use the Blue Ant for bike-to-bike and rider-to-passenger both. The range on it is pretty amazing. The battery is really good too. We get about 5 hours of talk time out of one charge. We are very happy with our Blue Ant system. And it was inexpensive and it's easy to set-up.

Old April 28th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #19
zartan

SpyderG.
Is it on active all the time? can you put it on stand by ?? and then summons the other rider?

Blue ant said no but I have read reviews otherwise.

I am checking into the other ones too!!

Old April 28th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #20
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

Before we leave on a ride we connect them and they stay in constant connection unless we get too far apart. When that happens and then we move into range again u just hit the connect button once and it'll reconnect almost instantly. The other day we left from our job sites seperately. I was in SF and I was meeting him in Oakland. I turned mine on befoe I left and so did he. When I got close to where he was meeting me I just pressed the button and we were connected. Now the units of course must be previously paired with each other. Only have to do that once. Like Bluetooth for the cell phone. When not paired with another set u can be connected to your phone instead. You can pair to both but only use one or the other at a time. Just press the connect button to switch back and forth.
Posted via Mobile Device
SpyderGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #21
zartan

Still researching this. What I want is to be able to be on standby.. and summons the other rider when one of us has something to say. I want to avoid have a ON intercom all the time. riding is personal and just want to sometimes say" hey Lets go right at such and such road".

The cardio seems like a good system. thanks Spydergirl.. still trying to figure out if it does what I want. Will NOT be using this with my phone.

I called Blue ant 3 times getting 3 different guys. None thought the blue ant would standby. But I read a review about just that. They said the GUY who knows about them is out of the country right now. also said still winter so not up on the bike coms... Uh!!! it is spring here and they are just above me in BC...
Polite but not knowledgeable.

Old July 1st, 2009, 03:51 PM   #22
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

USPS dropped this off today. Just finished charging it up. Will be used with my cell phone.

http://www.amazon.com/BlueAnt-InterP.../dp/B000PJSZSA

g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 05:06 PM   #23
zartan

Hi, Will you let me know if you can be on stand by most of the time and push to talk. I don't want to be Connected all the time and listen to the other rider's self chatter or other rider listening to mine. Let me know what you think please and thanks,!!

Old July 1st, 2009, 05:20 PM   #24
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

zartan,

Check this link: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...h-intercom.htm

Here is an excerpt from the above (bottom of the page):

Here's a note on the Interphone battery life issue from Rob Ferrier, General Manager of GiMoto Canada: In response to your questions on reduced talk time, this is an issue I brought up with Cellular Line earlier in the week based on questions by our customers. The Cellular Line Interphone will allow up to a maximum of seven hours of "active" time, this means the unit will either be connected actively with a GPS, phone or in the intercom mode. All of the available devices, regardless of manufactures name (Cellular Line / Blue Ant) are the same unit and have the same restrictions.

The issue comes down to the use of the product and the specific conditions it is being operated in. This is similar to how far you can travel on a tank of gas in your car. If you are traveling the speed limit, you will be driving for a longer time period than if you are running a car at maximum speed. The Interphone is similar when you are connected to another rider and the distance apart, atmospheric conditions and sight line obstructions all play a factor. If the other rider is farther away or out of sight, the unit has too work harder to keep the units functioning and this take more power.

To maximize talk time, we recommend the following:

When not actively speaking or listening to the other rider, put the units into standby mode. This would include the connection to the GPS when not required so the overall operating time is extended (for example: the 400 mile stretch between turns). To put the unit in standby, you only need to press the button on the side of the Interphone, to reconnect, either rider only need to press the main button for 2-3 seconds and you are back in talk mode.

Keep a safe distance with the other rider, however, keep in mind that the farther you are apart, the more energy is required to operate the unit. If you spend the day running 400 meters apart, the device will not operate as long. This is also the case when operating in rain, fog, snow or other factors that interfere with the line of site between the units. The key issue is rider safety, but keep in mind the restrictions when using the device in certain conditions.

Other possible options include carrying the charging unit with you on long trips or consider the mobile charger that will operate off the 12 or 24 volt system on most bikes. The Interphone usually takes less than one hour to fully recharge and this can be done during a meal break.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 06:02 PM   #25
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Love the BlueAnt Interphone. I own two pairs, one to charge and have spare on long trips. The battery life on these is fantastic!!! Cheap, reliable, easy to use... You don't get much better.
Posted via Mobile Device
SpyderGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 07:06 PM   #26
zartan

Thanks g-21!! I just want to be able to ramble on and only talk to the other riders when I need something thank you for taking the time to help