ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old February 18th, 2018, 05:20 AM   #1
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Rifleman back on line

So, after one fricking tumultuous year, I'm back at it.

for those who are new, I got laid off after 25 years at Argonne National Lab in the Chicago suburbs. I got a job at the Savana River Site in South Carolina and have moved.

Purchased a house Dec 29th and am in the process of getting all my stuff moved in. Smaller house, much more land, can shoot in my back yard, really the perfect place. Will be setting up the small shop soon and am looking into having a much bigger shop built.

on a side note, with Photobucket going pay to play, does anyone have a recommended photo upload site that allows 3rd party links and has a free basic service?

Pix as I am able to make them appear.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old February 18th, 2018, 07:03 AM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Great to have you back! Congratulations on the new job and new house,sounds awesome!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2018, 07:40 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
You can post photos directly to this board. A hosting site is not needed.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 18th, 2018, 12:50 PM   #4
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Congrats on the new job and new place! Sometimes the most stressful times of life can also be the most beneficial. Sounds like you have a new place you like and get a change of scenery.

As for photos, I just upload mine here on my profile and embed them in threads as needed.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2018, 02:08 PM   #5
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hi welcome back!

I can't even fire a BB-gun in my own basement! Want to have space like you someday. Maybe some old 30-acre farm with a barn somewhere.

I've downloaded all my photos off Photobucket and gradually been uploading them to Flickr.com . I post same photos on multiple sites and want a 3rd-party host. Nice thing about Flickr over PB is you can easily rename files. And you can make move photos between albums or make them members of multiple albums; all without breaking links to photos in your posts. The URL to photo remains the same regardless of which album it's in! Very handy feature!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2018, 03:23 PM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I love it way out in the country too. When I moved here, I called the Sheriff's office and asked what rules there were relative to shooting guns on my property. The deputy was quiet for a second or two, chuckled briefly, and said "none."
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2018, 04:35 AM   #7
Rifleman
Old and slow

yes, i'll agree, but I use a number of pics on a few different sites. Looking for something much like photobucket that gives me a web address for something uploaded that can simply be linked, regardless what site I'm on...

... but I will have to do that for now, thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Congrats on the new job and new place! Sometimes the most stressful times of life can also be the most beneficial. Sounds like you have a new place you like and get a change of scenery.

As for photos, I just upload mine here on my profile and embed them in threads as needed.

Old February 19th, 2018, 04:38 AM   #8
Rifleman
Old and slow

I was a bit worried when I was looking at the place, it was not in any city limits and the space behind me was clear for everything under .50BMG... but still, half a dozen neighbors who might bitch...

... the day I moved in, I'm hauling boxes in the house and I hear what sounds like a .30-30 going off next door and echoing across the valley...

...yeah not going to have a problem with rifle fire in my back yard, BOOO-yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I love it way out in the country too. When I moved here, I called the Sheriff's office and asked what rules there were relative to shooting guns on my property. The deputy was quiet for a second or two, chuckled briefly, and said "none."

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 19th, 2018, 07:08 AM   #9
Rifleman
Old and slow

Well, SF bay area is the problem there, don't you know all guns suddenly turn evil and bad the moment they cross the NV/Cali border

Yeah, looked into Flickr.com... even set up an account, this clinches it, i'll have to spend some time moving things over this week.

Got to say, even Illinois was very anti-gun because of the city of Chicago... the entire rest of the state is rural and some of the crap you have to put up with because of butt clowns in the Chicago met area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
Hi welcome back!

I can't even fire a BB-gun in my own basement! Want to have space like you someday. Maybe some old 30-acre farm with a barn somewhere.

I've downloaded all my photos off Photobucket and gradually been uploading them to Flickr.com . I post same photos on multiple sites and want a 3rd-party host. Nice thing about Flickr over PB is you can easily rename files. And you can make move photos between albums or make them members of multiple albums; all without breaking links to photos in your posts. The URL to photo remains the same regardless of which album it's in! Very handy feature!

Old February 19th, 2018, 08:01 AM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Welcome back!

I'm not quite out far enough to shoot in my back yard - but eventually!

Just got a new .308 that needs some rounds run through it...
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2018, 08:03 AM   #11
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Glad to hear the positive news and welcome back.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2018, 12:21 PM   #12
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Glad that you're getting back to it.

Being able to shoot on your own land is definitely a bonus... seems a little odd to say it that way, because it should be a right instead of a privilege.

This forum seems to slow down a bit during the holidays, and it's finally picking back up again.

Old February 19th, 2018, 02:27 PM   #13
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
Being able to shoot on your own land is definitely a bonus... seems a little odd to say it that way, because it should be a right instead of a privilege.
Certainly not a problem if you've got enough cubic dollars to grease local political machine...

Old February 21st, 2018, 06:14 PM   #14
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Welcome back and I'm glad to hear your move was successful.

As far as photo sharing, Flickr is relatively easy to handle. 500px is also fairly reliable but I think Flickr has a better sharing structure. 500px is more involved than Flickr in connecting its users and their photos with each other.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2018, 12:17 PM   #15
DannoXYZ

Other nice thing about Flickr.com is you can re-arrange your albums and pictures in an order that makes sense to you. Other sites only order by alphabet, making you rename files with 0-, 1-, or `- or Z- filenames to sort. Bah! In Flickr.com, just drag and drop to change order and that's it! Very easy to use.

Old February 27th, 2018, 04:55 PM   #16
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Congrats, sounds great!

Quote:
Glad that you're getting back to it.

This forum seems to slow down a bit during the holidays, and it's finally picking back up again.
Might be a little antisocial in the suburbs...
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2018, 10:53 PM   #17
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Might be a little antisocial in the suburbs...
Then again, between the straight piped F350 with the vented crankcase, and the smokey CR500, and the track car, and the other race-tuned bikes in the stable... the neighbors probably hate me already.

Ho hum.. life in the suburbs.

Quote:
Officer, I swear. I was trying to dial in my launch control. I didn't mean to scare the small children or the expecting mothers. And the exhaust smoke really isn't as bad for people as they think it is.

Old March 2nd, 2018, 04:21 PM   #18
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Whhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy do people feel the need to straight pipe their big trucks?? They don't even sound good!

Well muffled, well resonated, performance exhausts that are tuned for a specific sound and power sound amazing. Straight pipe sounds like loud ass.

Old March 2nd, 2018, 11:23 PM   #19
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Whhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy do people feel the need to straight pipe their big trucks?? They don't even sound good!

Well muffled, well resonated, performance exhausts that are tuned for a specific sound and power sound amazing. Straight pipe sounds like loud ass.
Yeaaaaah welllll. Maybe I'm the loud ass who needs to tow a 12,000lb excavator around. The truck isn't designed for that, but with all the performance mods and proper tuning, the truck seems to handle it.

She only makes power between 1800 and 2200rpm and she howls, but she's a tired old diesel and she's doing the best that she can when she's charging a steep hill.

As for all the other posers who want a loud and stinky exhaust note because they think it sounds cool, best of luck and please stop using the "race" tune because it's not good for the environment.

Old March 3rd, 2018, 02:43 AM   #20
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Yeaaaaah welllll. Maybe I'm the loud ass who needs to tow a 12,000lb excavator around. The truck isn't designed for that, but with all the performance mods and proper tuning, the truck seems to handle it.
Sounds like you need the right tool for the job... change up your trailer style to distribute the load better (gooseneck and fifth wheel towing are rated for more weight per FoMoCo) or use a dump truck that's rated for the weight.

You're already on a 1-ton used for work purposes so there's some question of a CDL (with that gross vehicle combined weight) with that setup. No offense, it sounds like your tune and loud exhaust is the least of your worries.