ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 30th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #1
mrkyo
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kawi Green 250R

alternator/battery/charging related problem

So i was leaving work late last night. As usual, i warmed the bike for a few minutes, everything looks fine so far. I jumped onto the bike, and as soon as I rev it up in the first gear, the headlight went off. I rode for another 10 seconds to see if the light came back. No luck, so I stopped, turned off the bike and checked the connection. Everything looks secured.

Tried to start again, turned key to "ON" position, no lights were on, I couldn't start it. However, as soon as I push the bike, the lights on the dash came back and went off if the bike stopped. I was able to get it running again by pushing start. I rode it for a minute, the headlight kept flickering, and went off if I didn't give gas. After that minute, headlight stayed on. I was able to ride it home without any problems after that.

Any ideas what causing this issue? I am thinking it's more like grounding or charging related problem. Oh, the bike is a 08 Kawi 250R. Sorry about the long read, thanks.
mrkyo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #2
mrkyo
ninjette.org member

Also note that the tachometer was acting weird at that time. The RPM was jumping up and down like crazy as it's very unstable and not accurate.

Old April 30th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #3
kkim

has the bike ever been crashed/dropped?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #4
mrkyo
ninjette.org member

no, the bike has never been down or crashed before.

Old April 30th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #5
kkim

sure sounds like a wiring problem... either chaffed insulation allowing bare wires to touch, loose connector or a bad ground.

been working on the bike lately, just prior?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2010, 01:24 AM   #6
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkyo View Post
Also note that the tachometer was acting weird at that time. The RPM was jumping up and down like crazy as it's very unstable and not accurate.
aloha ken,
i had a similar problem on a previously owned interceptor. both headlight AND erratic tach readings were eventually traced to a bad spark unit.
this may be useless information as i am not sure what would be the equivalent on your bike.

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:41 AM   #7
mrkyo
ninjette.org member

i finally had a chance to look at the battery yesterday, it turned out that the screw that holds down the down positive terminal was loose. The screw almost fell from the top when I removed the seat. Tightened it and rode for another half hour with no problem. Hopefully that's the reason why the bike was acting weird. Thanks for all the advices.