ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 2nd, 2017, 12:30 PM   #1
1994Ninja250F
‘94 Rider

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): 1994 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F

Perfectly Running Bike Stalls Out

My 1994 runs absolutely perfect, and idles as it should also. No issues at all, except this random but rare issue where it stalls out at a normal idle (in neutral, sidestand down).

Heres the scenario. I like to let the engine run after i get back from a ride, while im taking my helmet and other gear off. So i pulled into my driveway, put the bike in neutral and put the sidestand down and left the engine on. After about 20 seconds, the bike randomly shuts off with no warning. No struggling noises, no rough idle or anything. Just shuts off all by itself. It starts right back up too.

This is driving me nuts more than anything, it doesnt happen often, but its annoying when it does. First time it happened, i thought it was because i was pretty much at the point of needing to switch to reserve. This time though, i have plenty of fuel and am about 60 miles away from hitting reserve. Also, the bike doesn't have the symptoms of being starved of fuel, like would be the case if youre at/near the point of switching to reserve.

Any ideas guys? Any possibility of a safety switch problem in the scenario I described? Again, bike running in neutral, sidestand down, no rider on it, bike quits running.
1994Ninja250F is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2017, 01:31 PM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Have you checked your battery voltage? I'd check it before starting (should be 12.7 or more) and while cranking (should be over 10V, engine cold and choke off so it doesn't start).

Then start it up and read the voltage at idle. It should be more than it was before cranking and around 13V. Then rev the engine to 4000 and see that it went up again.

Does it do the same thing if you have the stand up or are on the center stand? If not, check the connections and lube the switch on the sidestand.

Does it ever do it in traffic at a stop sign?

Is your hot idle set to 1300? Have you made adjustments to your idle mixture?
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2017, 10:38 AM   #3
1994Ninja250F
‘94 Rider

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): 1994 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Have you checked your battery voltage? I'd check it before starting (should be 12.7 or more) and while cranking (should be over 10V, engine cold and choke off so it doesn't start).

Then start it up and read the voltage at idle. It should be more than it was before cranking and around 13V. Then rev the engine to 4000 and see that it went up again.

Does it do the same thing if you have the stand up or are on the center stand? If not, check the connections and lube the switch on the sidestand.

Does it ever do it in traffic at a stop sign?

Is your hot idle set to 1300? Have you made adjustments to your idle mixture?
Thank you for the reply. I will definitely check the voltage first thing tomorrow. I never really use the center stand unless I'm doing maintainence, but no, it never does it at a stop sign or red light. So yeah, seems like a side stand switch issue or battery issue. The battery is about 3 years old, but I will definitely check the voltage. In theory, given the scenario, is the sidestand switch a good possibility? Only asking because even though I've had my Ninja for 7 years now, the safety switches seem to confuse me for whatever reason.

Thanks again!
1994Ninja250F is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2017, 03:56 PM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Try looking at these,

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Unders...afety_switches

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/My_sid...27t_work_right

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Checki..._safety_switch

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Cleani..._clutch_switch

Hope this helps

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 5th, 2017, 10:27 PM   #5
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Measure vacuum level going to petcock. What is vacuum @ 4000 rpms? Vacuum @ idle?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2017, 12:46 PM   #6
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Hmmm wonder if it's something as simple and stupid as the kickstand sensor? Mine was acting funny it wouldn't run in neutral with the kickstand down or it would but it would shut off. Took a look at the thing and the whole area was dirty as hell. Cleaned it up and haven't had an issue in 2 weeks. Not saying that's your issue but just throwing it out there. Never know.
Looks like Ghostt might have eluded to it already.

Old August 9th, 2017, 05:49 PM   #7
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994Ninja250F View Post
My 1994 runs absolutely perfect, and idles as it should also. No issues at all, except this random but rare issue where it stalls out at a normal idle (in neutral, sidestand down).

Heres the scenario. I like to let the engine run after i get back from a ride, while im taking my helmet and other gear off. So i pulled into my driveway, put the bike in neutral and put the sidestand down and left the engine on. After about 20 seconds, the bike randomly shuts off with no warning. No struggling noises, no rough idle or anything. Just shuts off all by itself. It starts right back up too.

This is driving me nuts more than anything, it doesnt happen often, but its annoying when it does. First time it happened, i thought it was because i was pretty much at the point of needing to switch to reserve. This time though, i have plenty of fuel and am about 60 miles away from hitting reserve. Also, the bike doesn't have the symptoms of being starved of fuel, like would be the case if youre at/near the point of switching to reserve.

Any ideas guys? Any possibility of a safety switch problem in the scenario I described? Again, bike running in neutral, sidestand down, no rider on it, bike quits running.
Try sitting on the bike for a minute or two, engine running with the sidestand up. If it doesn't crap-out maybe your sidestand switch is bad.

Just a thought.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote