Notices

Old May 26th, 2018, 09:27 AM   #1
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
ride like a pro

Has anybody here watched the Ride Like A Pro series or done the classes?

I always see it advertised in Rider magazine, and have thought about buying it before. I just wanted to get some opinions on it from people that already have.

I've seen Twist of the Wrist 2 (a bit cheesy but good stuff) and read Lee Parks Total Control (was recommended by my uncle who took the class years ago, I really dig it and would like to take the class myself once I have the miles under me), but I've never heard anyone mention this one.
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2018, 12:52 PM   #2
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
Has anybody here watched the Ride Like A Pro series or done the classes?

I always see it advertised in Rider magazine, and have thought about buying it before. I just wanted to get some opinions on it from people that already have.

I've seen Twist of the Wrist 2 (a bit cheesy but good stuff) and read Lee Parks Total Control (was recommended by my uncle who took the class years ago, I really dig it and would like to take the class myself once I have the miles under me), but I've never heard anyone mention this one.
I'm a coach with the California Superbike School (even make an appearance in Twist 2 as the mom, lol) If you have any questions about riding techniques or the school just fire away. I took all four levels of the school as a student before I became a coach 14 years ago and attribute all my riding skills and race accomplishments to CSS. You'd love taking the school
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 21st, 2018, 04:51 PM   #3
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
I'm a coach with the California Superbike School (even make an appearance in Twist 2 as the mom, lol) If you have any questions about riding techniques or the school just fire away. I took all four levels of the school as a student before I became a coach 14 years ago and attribute all my riding skills and race accomplishments to CSS. You'd love taking the school
Thanks! I've definitely noticed you around here

I had gone ahead and purchased the download of "Learning to Ride the Easy Way" in the Ride Like A Pro series....not worth it. The camera angles aren't great, it moves really fast, and assumes you have a huge parking lot to play with. For all of the hype around it, I would have thought there would have been more of a step by step on things. I won't buy more from the series. I did, however, pick up Proficient Motorcycling off of Google Play. That one I'm really enjoying the way I did Total Control.

As for questions, I have been really thinking about the whole counter steering thing the last few days. My mesh jacket came in and I plan on riding this Sunday morning off of my street for the first time. I've heard people say anything over 10mph and others say over 25 to 35 mph. That's a big difference. That and turns, like when to initiate the turn, how fast to go (I've noticed I usually am going around 15 mph in my car around these turns). Proficient Motorcycling helping with info on this, like counter steering to initiate lean then direct steering adjustments, I've noticed how he recommends what Lee Parks talked about, using the same hand to do both so your hands aren't fighting each other. It's just a lot of info to process and never having done it before, I'm all like "agghhhh!!!!" lol.

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12

Old June 21st, 2018, 04:58 PM   #4
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

Are you profecient at fiding a bicycle fast? Like down a big hill with a turn at the bottom. Same, same as on the moto except you sweat less
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2018, 05:20 PM   #5
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwDang View Post
Are you profecient at fiding a bicycle fast? Like down a big hill with a turn at the bottom. Same, same as on the moto except you sweat less
I used to have to ride a bike to work, but that was 11 years ago....up here when I didn't have a car I was close enough to walk. and there were no real hills in my area at that time.

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12

Old June 21st, 2018, 05:27 PM   #6
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

A moto turns / handles just like a bicycle. As soon as you have rollling momentum, push on the handle bar side you want to turn to while looking where you WANT to go. It’ll take practice learning how much to push to make the turn while keepimg the bike from falling down.
Most important thing to remember is; look where you WANT TO GO.

Old July 2nd, 2018, 09:46 PM   #7
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
Thanks! I've definitely noticed you around here

I had gone ahead and purchased the download of "Learning to Ride the Easy Way" in the Ride Like A Pro series....not worth it. The camera angles aren't great, it moves really fast, and assumes you have a huge parking lot to play with. For all of the hype around it, I would have thought there would have been more of a step by step on things. I won't buy more from the series. I did, however, pick up Proficient Motorcycling off of Google Play. That one I'm really enjoying the way I did Total Control.

As for questions, I have been really thinking about the whole counter steering thing the last few days. My mesh jacket came in and I plan on riding this Sunday morning off of my street for the first time. I've heard people say anything over 10mph and others say over 25 to 35 mph. That's a big difference. That and turns, like when to initiate the turn, how fast to go (I've noticed I usually am going around 15 mph in my car around these turns). Proficient Motorcycling helping with info on this, like counter steering to initiate lean then direct steering adjustments, I've noticed how he recommends what Lee Parks talked about, using the same hand to do both so your hands aren't fighting each other. It's just a lot of info to process and never having done it before, I'm all like "agghhhh!!!!" lol.
Go to a parking lot and get the bike into second gear, roughly 20-25 mph and practice steering back and fourth as if you are doing a series of s-turns. As people have said here, press right to go right and left to go left, it's really quite simple. Keep practicing until it comes naturally and experiment with things like having your arms straight vs bent and pushing forward on the bars and see what you notice.

Also, what should you be doing with your body when the bike begins leaning to the right for example?

Happy learning!!
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2018, 05:08 PM   #8
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Cool

What do you think of events like Moto Gymkhana:

Link to original page on YouTube.

With enough practice..

"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2018, 05:33 PM   #9
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
Go to a parking lot and get the bike into second gear, roughly 20-25 mph and practice steering back and fourth as if you are doing a series of s-turns. As people have said here, press right to go right and left to go left, it's really quite simple. Keep practicing until it comes naturally and experiment with things like having your arms straight vs bent and pushing forward on the bars and see what you notice.

Also, what should you be doing with your body when the bike begins leaning to the right for example?

Happy learning!!
I'll do that after my class next week, thanks for the advice I'm holding off on riding my girly until then due to advice from others here. I need to anyways, I sprained my wrists and I want them to heal all the way before my class.

As for what I should be doing when the bike begins to lean to the right....lemme see if I can conjure up memories of what I've read so far lol...it's been a few days since I've had time to do some reading. Honestly, I'm not quite sure. I know my head and eyes need to be turned to where I want to go. As far as bp for a normal turn on the street, isn't that enough to get your body where it needs to be? Don't you just stay with the bike?

Help??? I've only done low speed turns so far where direct steering was used, and I just turned my head and looked where I wanted to go, didn't do anything with my body (as far as I remember anyways)

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
What do you think of events like Moto Gymkhana:

With enough practice..

I think Moto Gymkhana is awesome! I would love to try this some day!

Old July 4th, 2018, 04:47 AM   #10
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

A bit early to be thinking about body position IMHO. For now just focus on the basic controls to build muscle memory and automatic habbits. At rolling speeds, 2nd gear and higher...push to turn with the side that you want to go. Push right, go right, push left, go left.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 4th, 2018, 01:59 PM   #11
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
yeah, just keep body in-line with bike.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2018, 03:10 PM   #12
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
yeah, just keep body in-line with bike.
thanks, i was wondering if it was a trick question or if i had missed something lol....