ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

Old March 10th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #1
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250F

Dropped Baby Dropped Baby Dropped...

Ugh.

With the beautiful weather out yesterday, I decided to go for a long ride! Headed up to a state park an hour or so away and rode around, admiring the scenery. Stopped at a bike shop on the way home to pick up some maintenance supplies, and also realizing that my helmet is probably too big for me (drats...). Then after a quick stop, I decided to ride out to Sears for one last errand. All-in-all added over 100 miles to the bike.

About that time is when I screwed up.

I could've taken one of a dozen different ways to get there, but instead I decide to go one way where I'm stuck waiting for a signal to change. Of course, the little Ninja won't activate the left turn lane light, so I hop back onto the main road looking for a turnoff. About a mile or so down I get behind a truck in the turning lane, successfully turn onto a fairly steep side road, and go to do a U-turn.

Naturally, the bike stops in the middle of the turn and goes down on its left side.

As quickly as I can I hit the kill switch and struggle to get the bike back up. A young girl in an Accord behind me shouts "Are you okay?" Damnit.

After gathering my wits together I roll the bike twenty or thirty yards to the side of a less-busy side street. I spend roughly half an hour cursing myself, looking for damage, and trying to get it started again. Meanwhile I nearly get clipped by a kid in Civic tearing around the corner at 50 mph. After finally pushing it into someone's driveway, it comes back to life and I ride home without incident.

Damage:
-Seriously bent clutch lever. Will need to be replaced.
-Bent shifter lever. Nearly overlapping the link bar. May need to be replaced...
-Scuffed bar end.
-Scuffed mirror.
-Scuffed center stand.
-Possibly bent left exhaust mount. Need to double-check that.

All-in-all, it could have been worse. But still, money out of pocket...

Lessons learned:
-Stop trying to do U-turns on steep hills. I've dropped the bike twice, both times trying to do U-turns on steep hills at night.
-Next-time, get the bike off of the road as quickly as possible. Especially at night.

I should probably also add a hex-wrench for draining the carbs, but that's neither here nor there.

So: OEM clutch lever or aftermarket? Decisions, decisions...
TBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Sorry to read this.

Nothing terrible has happened to the bike.

All those things can be returned to original shape with some force; out of the bike is better but not absolutely necessary.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Aman13
ninjette.org member

Name: Aman

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

Definitely go for after market levers, you can get a set for 30 bucks, your choice of colour and style.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/the2wheels-A...2c3df6&vxp=mtr
Aman13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
If you bent the left passenger peg bracket, fear not! Those bad boys are aluminum and are easily bent back.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 05:11 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Bummer but on the bright side... Happy modding!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 06:12 AM   #6
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Thanks for the well-wishes guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
All those things can be returned to original shape with some force; out of the bike is better but not absolutely necessary.
As I'm coming to my senses I think you're right. I'll try bending back the shift and clutch levers tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman13 View Post
Definitely go for after market levers, you can get a set for 30 bucks, your choice of colour and style.
Do those fit a pregen? It looks like I might need the perch from an EX500. Still, that's very tempting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
If you bent the left passenger peg bracket, fear not! Those bad boys are aluminum and are easily bent back.
Sounds simple enough! I'll double-check tonight. Any tips on figuring out if it's bent? The previous drop was on the right, so maybe it's actually the right exhaust bent in (HA!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Bummer but on the bright side... Happy modding!
As if I needed more excuses!

Last futzed with by TBC; March 11th, 2013 at 08:17 AM.

Old March 11th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #7
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman13 View Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/the2wheels-A...2c3df6&vxp=mtr
I just put some of those on my 08 the other day. Very solid constrution (CNC milled 6061 for the lever and 7075 for the pivot assy).

Great little farkle for ~$30.

FWIW, I use my middle 2 fingers for clutch and bought the "shorty" lever. Fits my hand juuuuuust right! YMMV

Here is the Pre-gen version of the ones I bought. Same levers, just diff seller. He was very proactive in communication and I got them 12 days ahead of schedule.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-CNC-A...962125&vxp=mtr

Old March 12th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #8
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Oops.

Broke off while I was trying to bend it back. Looks like I'm springing for the Ninja 500 lever after-all!

Shifter lever bend-back was a major success though . Now I just have to bend the exhaust back...