ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 10th, 2018, 11:05 PM   #1
1994Ninja250F
‘94 Rider

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): 1994 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F

Trouble with oil pressure warning light/sensor

Hey guys,

Having a strange issue, and after 8 years of being here and at N250RC, I haven't ever seen it discussed. Seems to be a bad connection from the oil pressure sending unit (front of the engine near the exhaust headers), to the oil light on the dash.

Here's the problem: When I turn the key to ON (engine off), the red oil pressure light on the dash does not light. If I take my finger and even slightly touch the rubber boot on the oil pressure sending unit, the light will then come on. However, it's extremely fussy and sensitive. Chances are, after a ride when I shut the engine off but leave the key on, the light does not come on after the engine stops turning. This is because it's so touchy, that the wind from the ride knocked the connection out of its sweet spot. Being anal about the smallest little things, it's driving me nuts knowing that if for some reason I lose oil pressure while riding, there's a good chance I wouldn't know because of this issue.

Does anyone know the procedure for fixing this? I didn't see anything about it in the service manual or the supplement. I'm assuming I need to atleast replace the rubber boot, which is where the wire feeds in to.
1994Ninja250F is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2018, 11:21 PM   #2
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994Ninja250F View Post
Hey guys,

Having a strange issue, and after 8 years of being here and at N250RC, I haven't ever seen it discussed. Seems to be a bad connection from the oil pressure sending unit (front of the engine near the exhaust headers), to the oil light on the dash.

Here's the problem: When I turn the key to ON (engine off), the red oil pressure light on the dash does not light. If I take my finger and even slightly touch the rubber boot on the oil pressure sending unit, the light will then come on. However, it's extremely fussy and sensitive. Chances are, after a ride when I shut the engine off but leave the key on, the light does not come on after the engine stops turning. This is because it's so touchy, that the wind from the ride knocked the connection out of its sweet spot. Being anal about the smallest little things, it's driving me nuts knowing that if for some reason I lose oil pressure while riding, there's a good chance I wouldn't know because of this issue.

Does anyone know the procedure for fixing this? I didn't see anything about it in the service manual or the supplement. I'm assuming I need to atleast replace the rubber boot, which is where the wire feeds in to.
It may not involve much more that cleaning the contast on the oil pressure sending unit and the connector under the rubber boot with some fine steel wool. Then as a precaution you could spray some electrical contact cleaner on the connections and apply some dielectric grease. I always worry about "idiot lights" that's why I installed an oil pressure gauge on my Ninja.

Bill

Old May 11th, 2018, 06:24 AM   #3
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Peel off rubber boot. You might luck out and find loose terminal not firmly attached to sensor.

OR... you may find frayed broken wire.

Clean up that connection by trimming back some broken insulation.
Wrap frayed strands back onto wire and terminal
Solder joint

That’s it for quick fix. Better solution is cut off end completely and crimp, solder, shrink-wrap new terminal.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 11th, 2018, 02:32 PM   #4
1994Ninja250F
‘94 Rider

Thank you both. I took the boot off and it looks like the wire literally just sits on top of the sending unit, underneath the boot (when the boot is on the sending unit).

Is that wire supposed to be crimped around the unit? Because it most definitely was not, it was just kind sitting on top, easy to see how the connection gets broken all the time. I wish I had a picture, can probably take one later this evening if what I’m saying is making no sense.

Thanks again!

Old May 11th, 2018, 02:48 PM   #5
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

I think the wire should be crimped to ring-terminal that's screwed into sensor. Photo would help show us what's wrong.

Old May 11th, 2018, 05:31 PM   #6
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994Ninja250F View Post
Thank you both. I took the boot off and it looks like the wire literally just sits on top of the sending unit, underneath the boot (when the boot is on the sending unit).

Is that wire supposed to be crimped around the unit? Because it most definitely was not, it was just kind sitting on top, easy to see how the connection gets broken all the time. I wish I had a picture, can probably take one later this evening if what I’m saying is making no sense.

Thanks again!
One year ago when I bought my 2007 250 the oil light didn't work. The previous owner had unplugged the wire from the oil pressure sending unit. I simply plugged it back in/on. There's a bayonet connector downstream from the sending unit (that was disconnected on mine) and the sending unit has a ring connector that connect to the sending unit with a screw. You simply have to go to an auto parts store, buy a new ring connector and solder (recommended) a new connector to the end of the wire. I've attached a photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 018.jpg (87.0 KB, 5 views)

Old May 11th, 2018, 11:14 PM   #7
1994Ninja250F
‘94 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
One year ago when I bought my 2007 250 the oil light didn't work. The previous owner had unplugged the wire from the oil pressure sending unit. I simply plugged it back in/on. There's a bayonet connector downstream from the sending unit (that was disconnected on mine) and the sending unit has a ring connector that connect to the sending unit with a screw. You simply have to go to an auto parts store, buy a new ring connector and solder (recommended) a new connector to the end of the wire. I've attached a photo.
Awesome, thank you both for the pointers, and thanks Ram Jet for the very helpful picture.

I was trying to take a picture of my situation, but it was dark when I got home to the Ninja (rained last night) and any pictures were't gonna turn out good. But basically my wire still has that ring or horseshoe-looking connector on the end, it just wasn't crimped to the sending unit. Was just kind of free to move around underneath the rubber boot.

I will have owned my Ninja for 8 years in July, and I have never messed with the sending unit or sensor. So...that means the wire has been like that for an absolute minimum of 8 years, and it just now starts acting up. Pretty crazy!

I'll give this a shot tomorrow, nice and simple, and all should be good to go. Thanks again guys.

Old May 13th, 2018, 09:25 AM   #8
DannoXYZ

Look for screw, might have vibrated loose?