Notices

Old April 5th, 2017, 04:30 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[RideApart] - Wounded Warrior Project So Cal Motorcycle Ride

Wounded Warrior Project So Cal Motorcycle Ride

A group of injured veterans recently shared their love of the open road at a recent Wounded Warrior Project motorcycle event in San Diego. Riders gathered in the morning and set out for the March Field Air Museum. The veterans*were given a private tour of the museum, where they got a glimpse of the evolution of military aviation in America.

"I have been wanting to get involved with a motorcycle riding group but was extremely hesitant," said Navy veteran Lisha Brown. "But once I learned more about the event, some of my fear was put at ease. I'm glad I was encouraged to participate because I love connecting with other veterans who may be experiencing the same issues as me."

These community connection activities support the recovery needs of veterans by reintroducing them to the bonds experienced during military service. A survey of injured vets revealed that more than half talked with fellow veterans to address their mental health issues, and 29.6 percent expressed that physical activity helps.

"Camaraderie – that's what we know from our time in the military," Lisha said. "I think connecting with other veterans is priceless, and the Wounded Warrior Project staff is awesome. They bring so much caring, knowledge, and – above all – a compassionate spirit that we don't usually get after we have disconnected from the military."

Following the museum tour, the vets gathered for lunch and learned about various WWP programs that could assist them in their recoveries. Thanks to generous donors, WWP programs and services are offered free of charge to vets, their caregivers, and families, and they help with mental health, physical health and wellness, career and benefits counseling.

To learn and see more about how WWP's programs and services connect, serve, and empower wounded warriors, visit newsroom.woundedwarriorproject.org, and click on multimedia.

More from RideApart:
     Related Stories

Click here for full story...