ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 1st, 2018, 10:59 AM   #1
Tylorwashere
ninjette.org member

Name: Tylor

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Anger management group for reinstalling carbs?

Seriously though, everything is unbolted all the way back to the rear fender, I've got enough play in the air box to easily manipulate the carbs around, but it's so damn hard to get them into the boots from the air box, and if you do, it's one or the other, or it pulls them off the motor side. After bashing my head on my brake lever I gave up for the day.

Is there a good trick for this? Or just persistence? I've had them in and out a few times, and it never gets easier
Tylorwashere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2018, 11:27 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Make sure everything is lined up properly. You must shove both carbs on at same time. Don't try to do one at a time. When installing, make sure the clamps are completely loose, hanging on by last screw thread. Or remove clamps completely.

1. Both boots on engine fully. Tighten clamps

2. Both carbs onto boots fully. Tighten clamps

3. Shove airbox onto carbs. Some people remove the coil springs and use clamps afterwards

Helps to lube all the contact areas with some silicone grease.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2018, 12:17 PM   #3
Tylorwashere
ninjette.org member

Name: Tylor

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Make sure everything is lined up properly. You must shove both carbs on at same time. Don't try to do one at a time. When installing, make sure the clamps are completely loose, hanging on by last screw thread. Or remove clamps completely.

1. Both boots on engine fully. Tighten clamps

2. Both carbs onto boots fully. Tighten clamps

3. Shove airbox onto carbs. Some people remove the coil springs and use clamps afterwards

Helps to lube all the contact areas with some silicone grease.
Grease was my next idea. I usually just roll the springs all the way back on the airbox boots, and start then from the bottom.
Tylorwashere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2018, 05:21 PM   #4
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Note that you can't do it all in one step. Must secure boots to engine first and tighten clamps between boots and engine. Then attach carbs and tighten those clamps. That way, when you go to install airbox, nothing squirms out of the way on you.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; April 4th, 2018 at 11:46 AM.

Old April 15th, 2018, 03:15 PM   #5
t-cab12
Needs a riding buddy.

Name: Taylor

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 1986 Honda Elite 80

can I join your anger management group? I feel like I don't have the dexterity or fine motor skills to do this correctly so I enlisted the help of a coworker! He is a trained mechanic and now helping me on his lunch breaks...thank God!

Old April 15th, 2018, 03:32 PM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
The pregens have airbox mod available, where you cut the battery box off the airbox, making it about 100 times easier to get things together. Can this be done on the newgens?
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2018, 03:42 PM   #7
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylorwashere View Post
Seriously though, everything is unbolted all the way back to the rear fender, I've got enough play in the air box to easily manipulate the carbs around, but it's so damn hard to get them into the boots from the air box, and if you do, it's one or the other, or it pulls them off the motor side. After bashing my head on my brake lever I gave up for the day.

Is there a good trick for this? Or just persistence? I've had them in and out a few times, and it never gets easier
The next time I remove my carbs I'm going to elongate (fore and aft) the two bolt holes under the battery giving me the ability to push the airbox forward onto the carb intake bells. I haven't tried it yet but I think it will work.

Bill

Old April 15th, 2018, 04:30 PM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
The next time I remove my carbs I'm going to elongate (fore and aft) the two bolt holes under the battery giving me the ability to push the airbox forward onto the carb intake bells. I haven't tried it yet but I think it will work.
But yous is pregen like mine, Bill.

Old April 15th, 2018, 11:42 PM   #9
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
But yous is pregen like mine, Bill.
He states that he has a 2005?

Bill

Old April 16th, 2018, 06:06 AM   #10
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

This thread is in the 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk section, so I'm assuming this is for a newgen, but maybe it's in the wrong forum.

Tylor, please clarify what motorcycle this is.

Old April 16th, 2018, 10:50 AM   #11
DannoXYZ

Seems he was trying to shove everything all together all at once: boots, carbs, airbox. That's going to make things shift around unnecessarily regardless if it's pre-gen or new-gen.

On the new-gen bikes, removing battery-tray is easier, but not necessary at all. I've found unbolting airbox and sliding back 10mm is all that's needed. This allows you to pull carbs off boots. Then pull out left carb-boot from between head and carbs. This frees up enough space to slide carbs out left side (after removing cables and fairing/idle-speed-cable bracket).

Actually did this procedure 5x this last weekend when tracking down finicky carbs. Turned out I had a blade of grass in my float-bowls!!!