Notices

Old June 14th, 2017, 08:18 PM   #1
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
1978 Vespa Ciao Moped

been waiting for over 6 months for my neighbor to give up on this thing and sell it to me. he bought it for $850 running, rode it for a summer, then it stopped working and I let him park it in my garage for the fall/winter. it seems to have no compression. it only has about 500 miles on the guages but who knows. it doesn't run. I'm hoping to get it running and sell it for near what he paid for it. I gave him $200 lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19113541_10154624306836088_8735029925490542467_n.jpg (159.0 KB, 12 views)
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old June 14th, 2017, 08:37 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
No compression? The cylinder should come off in about 2 minutes so you can inspect the condition of it and the piston.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2017, 08:41 PM   #3
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
yup I'm not new to blown up mopeds. I should have time tomorrow to take a look see

Old June 15th, 2017, 09:45 AM   #4
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
Its got some fancy rims for a moped
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2017, 07:15 AM   #5
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
ahh oops!! it's a bravo not a ciao!

will attempt to start today... round 2

Old June 18th, 2017, 08:43 AM   #6
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
well I figured out that the reason the wheels weren't turning the motor over is that there's a free-pedal mode on these guys, so you can ride it around like a bicycle without the extra resistance of turning the motor over. I pulled that lever so we're now in engine pedal mode!

when I went to pedal it, it will pedal up until the motor tries to spin over, and then there's this horrible clonking noise and everything jolts to a stop. pretty scary. however, I think that it's something to do with the transmission and not with the actual motor, because the motor turns over just fine by hand every single time. there actually does appear to be a decent amount of compression. I forgot how tiny these lil guys are.

this is a variated transmission (CVT like a scooter) located basically at the rear wheel, so I started there - the clonking seems to be in the back of the bike. I pulled the belt and rollers off (where they attach to the driveshaft at the motor) and honestly the rollers don't look that bad. I've seen way worse. the buddy 50 scooters and other vespas i have worked on have clearly shown flat spots in the nylon casing. these will last a little longer haha.

I pulled apart the rear clutch bell/hub thingy. the starter clutch shoes are FRIED and the clutch was entirely 100% seized. I am hoping this is the reason the moped wouldn't start. maybe when everything got spinning fast enough to start the bike, the starter clutch just couldn't move? I'm not really exactly clear on the starting mechanism as far as what everything is doing inside that rear clutch bell. maybe I can find a video. in any case, there are 3 clutch shoes and 2 starter shoes and they definitely all need to be replaced. I go to treatland.tv for moped parts. that site is weird but they have everything!

here are some pics. I guess this will turn into a build thread. if the belt and rollers are less than $20 I'll just go ahead and buy them. so far, the other parts i need total about $70. not bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bravoclutchshoes.jpg (30.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg bravoclutchbell.jpg (67.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg bravostartershoes.jpg (25.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg bravoclutch.jpg (28.3 KB, 3 views)

Old June 19th, 2017, 02:56 PM   #7
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
nice snag. Looks decent enough cosmetically you should be able to just get it running and sell it, can't beat that. Good luck

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2017, 09:48 PM   #8
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
that is my hope.

treats on the way from the independent kingdom of treatland!

Old October 21st, 2017, 09:15 PM   #9
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
long story short, it needs a crankshaft.. possibly more, but I'm not really a motor expert. need another set of eyes

you have to disassemble the ENTIRE vehicle to get the motor out. it's absolutely insane. I've always known vespas are stupid but holy crap this is another level of dumb. the tomos mopeds motors are usually out in about 6 minutes, a total of 4 bolts. this thing is a nightmare!

I can't give up... I think I'll drag its skeletal remains to my shop and I guess see if I can put a crank in it and sell it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22552695_10154967814956088_2754826006752316574_n.jpg (193.5 KB, 5 views)

Old October 25th, 2017, 12:45 PM   #10
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
That's a bummer. What's wrong with the crankshaft that it needs a new one?

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old October 25th, 2017, 02:59 PM   #11
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
That's a bummer. What's wrong with the crankshaft that it needs a new one?
the rod bearings are so sloppy, there's like 1-2mm of freeplay where there shouldn't be. there's also some rust down in there. the piston is toasted but the cylinder actually looks kinda okay. the previous owner said it ran while he had it and slowly stopped running... Im not sure how truthful he has been about it, but whatever. he said there's a 60 kit in it, but he could be wrong, as I don't think he even knows what that means.

will have to do some more exploring at the shop when I have some free time. probably over the holidays. the rest of the bike is so fresh that I can't just throw it away. I bet I could get close to a grand for it if I can fix the motor! and buy another tomos, because the vespas are seriously stupid. I can't believe you have to take it this far apart to get the motor out.

I don't know why, but mopeds are the most fascinating amazing things to me lol

Old October 25th, 2017, 04:21 PM   #12
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
I c, can't imagine a crank for that is all that expensive. Just buy a crank, new bearings and seals, replace it and it should be good to go. top end kit should be pretty cheap too.

Definitely worth it.

Old October 31st, 2017, 08:08 AM   #13
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I pulled it apart and I actually dont think its that bad... Im going to try to clean it up and make it run and sell it. I don't wanna deal with it, and now I'm saving up for a new bike