Old April 17th, 2017, 06:05 AM   #1
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Commuting and gear: Strategy ideas for ATGATT

Reading about @corksil's recent off, I thought it might help the community a bit if we start a discussion about gearing up for the commute.

ATGATT is easy to justify if you're out for a recreational ride. But what about those times when you need to dress differently at your destination? How do you deal with it?

I'll start:

I'm a full believer in ATGATT and leather gear. My wife's a health care professional and knowing what I know about the cost and impact of hospitalization, it's just not worth the risk to compromise on personal protection.

When I commute, I wear a full two-piece suit - perforated leather jacket with Level 2 back protection, and perforated leather pants that zip to it, plus race gauntlets and touring-type boots. This rig would pass tech at a track day.

Work shirt gets worn under the jacket, or in hot weather it gets carried in my backpack.

I keep a pair of suitable pants in my desk at work, plus a pair of slip-on shoes. I arrive at work, grab the clothes and hit the men's room to change.

In the past I've also used armored overpants and still do, in cold weather.

Non-commutes, I usually just wear my riding pants and boots at the destination, frankly because I really don't care what people think. But if I must dress in street clothes, I just carry them in my backpack and change when I get there. Or, more likely, not take the bike in the first place.

Any other ideas? I do have the luxury of a place to keep stuff at work. Not everyone does.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2017, 10:49 AM   #2
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I wear mostly the same gear- kevlar leggings vs kevlar riding jeans, and I wear different boots depending on whether I'm commuting to work or out for fun. I've been looking for better overpants that I like but I haven't found anything yet.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2017, 11:10 AM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

So keeping with the commuting theme vs. personal preference in gear, do you change out of the leggings when you get to work? Do you wear work pants over the leggings? What about shoes... do you wear your boots at work?

Old April 17th, 2017, 12:52 PM   #4
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
I go with a perforated leather 2 piece that zips together and touring boots too. Work clothing under, just tuck work pants in socks, Yes I forgot to pull them out a couple of times
Footwear is touring boots and I keep a spare pair of work shoes at work. Winter a were a snow suite over the leather, picture the little brother from "A Christmas Story"

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2017, 02:55 PM   #5
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
For work, I wear the riding jeans, so no need to change (leggings are for the fun days). And my boots are good at work, too. I guess the short answer is that most of my riding gear is work-friendly, with a few other pieces for non-work days.

My housemate works in a normal office, unlike me, and he wears normal work clothes. He wears work boots and a pair of overpants for protective gear.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2017, 04:26 PM   #6
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

I did a little bit of commuting at one point. I had a locker at work, so I left my work shoes there. Wore my work uniform, put my normal gear on over that, except I used overpants instead of my normal leather pants. Once at work, I stripped my gear off, put my work shoes on, and got to it, leaving all my gear in the locker.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2017, 11:04 PM   #7
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
When I have to wear more formal clothes, going out, church, etc... , I wear my Bohn Adventure armour underneath. I've been using them for long time and find them comfortable, and offer protection.

https://www.bohnarmor.com/

https://www.bohnarmor.com/catalog/bo...ard-system.php

Link to original page on YouTube.

Link to original page on YouTube.

While it doesn't offer protection of abrasions, it's intended more for impacts, underneath a, pair of Kevlar jeans, pants, etc...

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2018, 11:31 AM   #8
MR2Aaron
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Reading about @corksil's recent off, I thought it might help the community a bit if we start a discussion about gearing up for the commute.

ATGATT is easy to justify if you're out for a recreational ride. But what about those times when you need to dress differently at your destination? How do you deal with it?

I'll start:

I'm a full believer in ATGATT and leather gear. My wife's a health care professional and knowing what I know about the cost and impact of hospitalization, it's just not worth the risk to compromise on personal protection.

When I commute, I wear a full two-piece suit - perforated leather jacket with Level 2 back protection, and perforated leather pants that zip to it, plus race gauntlets and touring-type boots. This rig would pass tech at a track day.

Work shirt gets worn under the jacket, or in hot weather it gets carried in my backpack.

I keep a pair of suitable pants in my desk at work, plus a pair of slip-on shoes. I arrive at work, grab the clothes and hit the men's room to change.

In the past I've also used armored overpants and still do, in cold weather.

Non-commutes, I usually just wear my riding pants and boots at the destination, frankly because I really don't care what people think. But if I must dress in street clothes, I just carry them in my backpack and change when I get there. Or, more likely, not take the bike in the first place.

Any other ideas? I do have the luxury of a place to keep stuff at work. Not everyone does.
I have a pair of motorcycle jeans with kevlar stuff inside them that I wear sometimes, but I mostly just wear my alpinestars overpants and jacket over my normal clothes. I take them off when I get to work, but leave the overpants on if I'm going somewhere like a store, or a reastaurant.

Somtimes, I leave my helmet on too. This has the added benefit that little kids think I'm a superhero.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2018, 12:20 PM   #9
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

I just wear my normal office work clothes which consists of shirt & trousers when I go buy cordura or other textile suits, then buy a set that fits over my clothes, so no need to change when you get to the office, just strip off the outers. I keep a pair of shoes under my desk to wear once my boots are off. Been doing this for many years with good quality gear. The better sets have zip out thermal liners & ventilation systems to keep you cooler in summer. When the weather is really good, I use my two piece leather jacket with my ventile over trousers. All of this kit has certified armor installed by default & I always add the back protector.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2018, 02:51 PM   #10
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
For going to work I have a Tourmaster jacket and pants. They have mesh, cordura panels to cover the mesh, rain liner and thermal liner as well as armor in the knees elbow and some padding in the back. I also wear lace up work boots.

I put the gear on over my work clothes, ride to work, take off the gear and toss it in the corner of my office. I keep a spare pair of shoes in the office. (as well as running shoes for the gym)
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2018, 05:16 AM   #11
danno25nh
ninjette.org member

Name: Danno

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2009 Versys

I wear over pants, and boots. Blazer gets rolled tightly and in my bag. If it's really hot same with shirt. The jacket covers a few wrinkles.
Tie also gets rolled and placed in bag.
At work I have a pair of black and brown shoes so I don't end up with mismatched shoes belt etc.
danno25nh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2018, 06:10 PM   #12
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
I've been thinking about this myself. Once I'm comfortable on the streets, I would like to start riding to work. It's only 4 miles (including my Starbucks run ) and the speed limit is 35 mph the whole way. Nothing crazy. Though I might get tempted to go to some of the quiet twisty roads in the surrounding area

My idea is to wear helmet,gloves,perforated leather jacket over my work shirt, my Joe Rocket boots (I'll save the A*s for the track), and I like the Drayko drift riding jeans. I'll either go for those or the Dainese Belleville. I like the Dainese better but they are on closeout right now and not in my size. they have the knee armor included. I'm going to order the Fly Racing Illuminator backpack so I have something Hi Viz and it'll carry my work pants, sneakers and food.
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2018, 08:31 PM   #13
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja Kaw, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

I have 2 sets of gear, due to my transition from Pennsylvania to Arkansas.

Leather perforated jacket and ventless textile overpants for when it is cooler, I can't remember who makes these, and I have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket (this thing is so awesome in the heat!) with waterproof liner, and Tourmaster vented full leg zip overpants. My gloves and boots are not riding gear, but all I can afford until I get a bit more cash flow.

The warmer weather gear is very quick (ummm, as quick as ATGATT allows) to get in and out of, and I usually just pop off the pants in the parking lot as long as there is not too much exposure. If not, I just walk into work/church and beeline to the bathroom. Have not yet, and don't ever plan to, ride without all my gear.
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2018, 05:15 AM   #14
adouglas
Cat herder

I used to wear a mesh jacket, but am no longer convinced that it'd do much good even with armor. The reason is that I don't believe it's robust/stiff enough to keep the armor in place.

Put your jacket on, reach across with your right hand and grab the left elbow of the jacket. Pull and see if you can rotate the sleeve around your arm. I could with my mesh jacket. So what's going to happen if I hit the ground?

Common sense tells me that if I hit the asphalt (which is about as grabby as 40-grit sandpaper), the road is going to do its darnedest to rip my gear off. If I can move the armor away from the places it's meant to protect with my hands, it's a sure bet that won't stay where it's supposed to be in a crash.

Version 1.0 of the upgrade strategy was to take all the armor out of the jacket and wear an armored shirt instead. Too much hassle, not enough benefit.

I decided to go with a fully perforated leather jacket with a Forcefield back protector upgrade and haven't looked back. I still have it, too, years after buying it. More expensive but it lasts a long time... good return on investment. And if I crash, as long as it's just scuffed (quite likely) I can keep on wearing it; a mesh jacket is a one-crash item for obvious reasons.