ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 4th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #1
VQ35
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Luis

Motorcycle(s): 02 ninja 250

New rider-need some help/advice..bike keeps stalling

Hello everyone, I bought my 2001 ninja 250 a couple weeks ago, rode it for a week with no problems but a couple days ago it died on me while riding. tried starting it up again and it wouldn't start.i waited a couple minutes and it started up but eventually died again. It seemed fine while riding in the higher rpms's but as soon as i had to stop and the rpms dropped it would die. same thing, it started up after a couple of minutes.

So as of right now, the bike will start up but after its warmed up and choke off it will just stall. anyways reason for this post is I have a can of seafoam and was thinking about trying it but I had a couple question. I've been doin my research and I could just put it in my gas tank but the tank is almost full and I can't take the bike for a ride to run it through the engine so would that just be pointless?Can I drain the all gas from the tank and than just put in the seafoam? or should i just use a vacuum line or fuel line and if so how and where.

little more info on bike:Bike just hit 12,000 miles. Guy said he changed all the fluids but I'm not sure about that. On one ride I accidently left the choke on(about halfway)and I rode like this for maybe 6-7 miles.Next day the bike started feeling a little funny but never died than the bike sat for about 5 days due to rain and next ride is when this problem started. This is all new to me, this is my first bike so i'm learning along the way. on the FAQ how do i check my oil, the pictures on there show a nice reddish brown oil through the sight glass but mine looks black(time to do oil change?) and also the oil level is slightly higher than the upper level mark. I usually use full choke to start the bike but usually turn it down immediately to keep it under 3500rpm(maybe I flooded the carbs? i dont know) but after reading the faq I will stop using full choke and use the gradual method

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Also posted this on ninja250.org but thought it wouldn't hurt to post on here too.
VQ35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #2
VQ35
ninjette.org newbie

Today I took off my gas tank and emptied the fuel to run some seafoam through and than put some fresh gas in. While i was doing that there was some weird stuff coming from inside my tank and there is still something solid banging around inside my empty tank. I attached some pictures. While i was pulling it out it felt like plastic bag or latex or something. Anyways what the hell is this and what can i do about it? Buy a new tank? Could this be what was my problem? Last pic is the solid piece stuck inside.

[/quote]

Old June 4th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #3
Solunatic
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 1990 Ninja 250 "Jolene"

Looks like someone recoated the tank to get rid of/prevent rust, but didn't do it right. That solid piece might be a big chunk of tank sealant..

As far as the bike running goes, you're probably going to need to clean the carbs unless you had an inline fuel filter, although the problem may have just been a lack of flow from the tank thanks to that chunk of stuff.

I don't have a clue what to do about the tank though.
Solunatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #4
VQ35
ninjette.org newbie

Yup, Bad sealant job. I somehow got the solid peice out fishing with my fingers. Here it is

Old June 4th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #5
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solunatic View Post
Looks like someone recoated the tank to get rid of/prevent rust, but didn't do it right. That solid piece might be a big chunk of tank sealant..

As far as the bike running goes, you're probably going to need to clean the carbs unless you had an inline fuel filter, although the problem may have just been a lack of flow from the tank thanks to that chunk of stuff.

I don't have a clue what to do about the tank though.

You need to probably acid bath the inside of the tank to strip all that stuff off then re-coat it with new sealant the right way.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #6
beren
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

My guess is that the tank was rusty and was poorly kreemed. Kreem is now pweling off, clogging fuel lines and carbs.

If I am right, tank interior needs to be xo pletely cleaned and properly sealed. Carbs will need cleaning. Not seafoam, real take em apart cleaning.

Or I coud be totallywrong. Wait and see what the more ezperienced folk say.

eta: Doh. Didnt see the replies. ooops.

Old June 4th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #7
VQ35
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the replies. I am going to strip the sealant and attempt to clean the carbs. I know what I need to strip the sealant but any idea how much do I put in the tank? Do i leave petcock on? Anything else I should know or do?

Old June 4th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #8
tc.young
ninjette.org member

Name: tom

Motorcycle(s): '89 klr 650, '00 250r

if what your putting in the tank is strong enough to get rid of the sealant, then it might also be strong enough to eat the rubber at the petcock. maybe block it off with a bit of rubber, a old tire tube if you have one. when i de-rusted a tank, i put in a gallon and had to turn it over every 20 minutes or so. or you could fill it up and let it sit if the liquid is cheap and not harmful acidic.
tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #9
Solunatic
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 1990 Ninja 250 "Jolene"

DO NOT leave the petcock on. slap a piece of rubber over the hole with a metal or wood backing with holes drilled in it where the petcock bolts go and reuse the petcock bolts to hold it on.

While you're waiting for the acid wash you can clean the carbs and the petcock
Solunatic is offline   Reply With Quote