ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old June 1st, 2016, 10:59 AM   #601
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Personal preference, yes. Burns cleaner, no.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ctane-gasoline

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ion-premium-g/

That being said when I put 94 octane in my bike and ride straight down a wall my 0-60 times plummet.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old June 1st, 2016, 11:11 AM   #602
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
That being said when I put 94 octane in my bike and ride straight down a wall my 0-60 times plummet.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2016, 11:19 AM   #603
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
I didn't know they even sell gas without ethanol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
No ethanol 87 is best
No ethanol 94 is better than 87 with, but if all grades have ethanol then use 87.

I have 34,000 miles on my '13 300 and it has not seen anything but 87 with ethanol but I do run a tank with seafoam about every oil change and all winter.
I have about 18,000 miles. All on 87 with ethanol. I don't even run seafoam or any other fuel injection cleaners. Ironic, as I'm staring at 3 bottle of seafoam on the shelf right now.

Al, just curious how much you pour in your tank (as a maintenance item)?

Old June 1st, 2016, 11:22 AM   #604
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post

I have about 18,000 miles. All on 87 with ethanol. I don't even run seafoam or any other fuel injection cleaners. Ironic, as I do have 3 bottle of seafoam on the shelf right now.

Both bikes in my garage have 30k+ miles with nothing but 87 pump gas. One of them is 13 years old and I have yet to see any kind of detriment from gas. The other is 7 years old, same thing. I don't use any kind of fuel treatment. They sit for a lot of the winter, only starting up every couple of weeks and run at operating temp for 10 minutes or so to burn off water in the oil.

Follow the directions on the bottle. It's something like one ounce per gallon. One bottle should do something like 4-5 tanks of fuel.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2016, 11:25 AM   #605
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:

I have about 18,000 miles. All on 87 with ethanol. I don't even run seafoam or any other fuel injection cleaners. Ironic, as I'm staring at 3 bottle of seafoam on the shelf right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Both bikes in my garage have 30k+ miles with nothing but 87 pump gas. One of them is 13 years old and I have yet to see any kind of detriment from gas. The other is 7 years old, same thing. I don't use any kind of fuel treatment. They sit for a lot of the winter, only starting up every couple of weeks and run at operating temp for 10 minutes or so to burn off water in the oil.

Follow the directions on the bottle. It's something like one ounce per gallon. One bottle should do something like 4-5 tanks of fuel.
yes
one once per gallon is correct.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2016, 11:47 AM   #606
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I run whatever is the cheapest option at the pump, I never look at the octane rating. The ony time premium ends up in my tank is when the hose swings around as I'm putting the nozzle in the tank and it hits the button. Happened twice and confused the heck out of me why the pump was ready to go and I hadn't chosen anything yet.

Seafoam only ended up in my tank once, but that was due to being grounded from surgery not from winterizing or anything.

No issues with my engine that I can tell.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2016, 11:53 AM   #607
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
That doesn't burn-off moisture in the oil - it adds it.

It takes getting the oil up to operating temp (212F), not the coolant, and having it sit there for more than 10 minutes to burn-off contaminants. Starting-up to burn-off contaminants is counter-productive.

Change the oil before storing, then don't start it again until you are ready to really ride.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2016, 01:24 PM   #608
TheRidingSparky
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Steven

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Ninja 300

Wow thanks for taking so much time to write that up! I apreciate the opinion. It's just in my 20 year old cage Ivery been driving I put 84 in all the time and then just recently I've been putting in 94 and I've noticed huge change but I guess that's because I've gotten used to all the subtleties on the 84, but that's a whole other can of worms. I know the question has been asked a bunch but this forums seems to have resonable people able to accept others opinions so I thought I'd ask myself. I think I have a clear choice that I'm going to run 87 majority and if I ever go through the town that has the option of 94 no ethanol, I'll do it as a treat to my conscience and maybe my bike after I do my research on ignition timing etc.
TheRidingSparky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2016, 01:32 PM   #609
TheRidingSparky
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Steven

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Ninja 300

I'm at work at the moment but I'll read more up when I get home, thanks again guys and gals)

-Steeveen
TheRidingSparky is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 1st, 2016, 01:40 PM   #610
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
@TheRidingSparky
Chevron supreme may be the only gas without ethanol on the island.
You drive a 20 year old car: buy regular, save your money and get a newer car!
And don't let those people fool you: they're all nasty people!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2016, 02:01 PM   #611
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

adouglas pretty much nailed it, I'll add the things he didn't touch on.

Octane rating... what does Octane in gasoline actually do? Why do we want it in the blend? Octane SLOWS the rate of combustion... yes you read that right, slows the rate of combustion. This is needed in high compression, high performance engines. Nearly all production cars and trucks do not fall into this category. Some high performance motorcycle engines do... but you need to be in about the 12 - 1 or 13 - 1 compression ratio before higher Octane is helpful or needed. Most cars run 9 - 1 and even high performance bikes may run 11 - 1

increased Octane will not give you more horse power out of the same engine... well, not at a noticeable amount anyway. Your engine may run cleaner but that is due to the fact that there are less impurities in your higher grades of gasoline, not the Octane per se'

fuel systems incompatible with ethanol: All manufactures now build their machines to with stand at minimum 10% ethanol in the fuel. Yes, if you have a 1974 BSA Thundbolt with the original natural rubber O-rings in the carbs and case seals... you may have a problem when exposed to ethanol containing fuels. Everyone uses buna-n O-rings today and ethanol exposure is not a problem.

DO NOT run the E85 and E100 fuels in your bike, the fuel to air mix is wrong and can run SERIOUSLY LEAN on those fuels. Oh yeah, it will perform like a scalded dog... for about half an hour, then your engine becomes a boat anchor.

Use any grade with 10% or less ethanol from a reputable retailer who moves a large quantity of product. Beyond that, the choice is up to you.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old June 1st, 2016, 03:13 PM   #612
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
One difference to note between cars and bikes... Computer-controlled ignitions can detect and adjust for detonation. Your car may actually have multiple "tunes" that are used depending on if you use premium (and therefore have no detonation) or regular (which gives you a little detonation). It's possible that your car is tuned for higher octane gas without you realizing it.

But on a basic engine with no adjustment, an engine that runs fine on a certain octane will not run better (and could possibly run a bit worse even) with higher octane. Higher octane allows you to use a more aggressive tune, which makes more power. The higher octane itself does not give more power.

It's like spoilers. Fast cars use them, but putting one on a slow car doesn't make it fast.

The biggest question seems to be whether the improvement from using ethanol-free gas outweighs the unnecessary octane. I've seen quite a few opinions on this, but I'm not sure if there's really an objective test to say which is better. Regardless of anything else, I suggest using Fuelly or similar to track your fillups. It will help point out issues with how well your bike is running, as well as objectively tracking how many miles you're getting (as opposed to thinking you were getting about X mpg before, but it seems to be down to Y mpg now). It's easy to enter the info on your phone while you're filling up, or just take a pic of the gas pump/receipt and your odometer and enter it later. Simply trying both gas options for a reasonable amount of time will let you see if there are any performance differences specifically for your bike, though it's going to be hard to measure something like ethanol-induced wear on soft parts.

P.S. Don't listen to me, I think my bike is a 2-stroke.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2016, 03:17 PM   #613
1wardogusmc
ninjette.org member

Name: Joel/Angela

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250/ZX-10R, 2014 300

I'm all about high octane!!!
1wardogusmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2016, 04:57 PM   #614
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
I didn't know they even sell gas without ethanol!........
http://www.pure-gas.org/
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2016, 07:20 PM   #615
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/merged

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2016, 08:29 PM   #616
higear223
ninjette.org member

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250, 09 650 V-Strom, 07 CRF230F

I use 91 but only because that is the only alcohol free gas I can get around here.

Update: Found some 87 today.

Last futzed with by higear223; June 2nd, 2016 at 08:35 PM. Reason: update
higear223 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2016, 01:54 PM   #617
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Interesting study released by AAA today. Yes - 87 octane is the right answer for our ninjettes (and any other vehicle that is spec'd for regular fuel). But - the quality of the additive package between off-brand cheap gas, and the known majors, does show a measurable difference in engine performance. The underlying gas is a commodity. The end fuel we consumers purchase at the pump can differ.

link to news story on CNN

Direct link to full study released by AAA (PDF file)

Link to top-tier retailers
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fuel-Quality-Full-Report-FINAL-1.pdf (3.77 MB, 0 views)

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old July 8th, 2016, 02:07 PM   #618
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Interesting articles.

Keep in mind that the Top Tier producers will usually use the same additive package in all grades - so going to Premium isn't giving you anything but more octane (that you don't need).

Some (Shell or Amoco I think) claim to have more detergent in their Premium grade, but I'm pretty sure that's compared to a competitor and not to their other grades.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2016, 02:27 PM   #619
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

I ran my car on supermarket gas for years and ended up with pink/red deposits on my plugs*. What that means I know not, but a couple of tanks of non supermarket gas and they normalized.

* like this
http://s290.photobucket.com/user/mbm...ed239.jpg.html
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2016, 02:37 PM   #620
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
I ran my car on supermarket gas for years and ended up with pink/red deposits on my plugs*. What that means I know not, but a couple of tanks of non supermarket gas and they normalized.

* like this
http://s290.photobucket.com/user/mbm...ed239.jpg.html
Waaaaa.......?!?!?!

That's MMT, Manganese based octane booster tho.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2016, 04:26 PM   #621
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Some (Shell or Amoco I think) claim to have more detergent in their Premium grade, but I'm pretty sure that's compared to a competitor and not to their other grades.
Shell states clearly that they include a higher proportion in their premium grades than they do in their regular grades.

Quote:
What makes Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline different than other Shell grades?

Shell V-Power NiTRO+ contains the highest concentration of the Shell Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System and cleans up faster than Shell regular. In fact, Shell V-Power now contains seven times the amount of cleaning agents required by federal standards. The new Shell V-Power NiTRO+ formulation contains an innovative combination of two key cleaning agents that work together in harmony to provide the BEST TOTAL engine protection you can get. It provides unbeatable protection against gunk and corrosion, and superior protection against wear.
source from shell's website

Old July 8th, 2016, 09:06 PM   #622
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Interesting. I guess I'm glad we stopped using the off-brand stations. We had a car a while back that was picky, so we learned there is a difference. One of my coworkers got bad gas in his Goldwing from an off-brand place, so I was reaffirmed in my
habit of paying for brand name gas.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote