Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old January 20th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[visordown.com] - How much is motorcycle road tax

What is Road Tax?

We’ve grown up with road tax but it’s now officially known as Vehicle Excise Duty. The display of Tax Discs on vehicles in the United Kingdom all started back in 1921, with the implementation of the Roads and Finance Act 1920. It was originally intended that all revenue raised from Road Tax would pay for the upkeep of UK roads. However in 1937 all revnue from Road Tax was placed in a central pot. While the rate of vehicle tax for cars is based onCO2 emissions, depending on when the car was registered – motorcycles, scooters and trikes have their tax band defined by their engine capacity.

What do I need to tax my motorcycle?

If your motorcycle or scooter is under three years old then all you need is your vehicle’s registration document (V5C) and proof of insurance. If your motorcycle or scooter is over three years old then you will also require a valid MOT certificate.

Where and how can I tax my motorcycle?

You can get your road tax from your Post Office, as long as the DVLA has sent you a reminder form or if you have the V5 registration document, or the green part of it marked V5/2.

These days the easiest way to tax your motorcycle or scooter is online at the DVLA's website. If your motorcycle or scooter is insured and has a current MOT certificate (if it needs one), the DVLA will already have these details - so you just need to complete a few boxes and pay using your debit or credit card. You'll then get your tax disc in the post.

Motorcycle and Scooter tax rates

Motorcycle (with or without sidecar) (TC17)

Engine size (cc)

12 months rate

6 months rate

Not over 150

£17.00

Not available

151-400

£37.00

Not available

401-600

£57.00

£31.35

Over 600

£78.00

£42.90

Tricycles, Trikes (not over 450kg unladen) (TC50)

Engine size (cc)

12 months rate

6 months rate

Tricycle not over 150

£17.00

Not available

All other tricycles

£78.00

£42.90

Are electric motorcycles and scooters exempt from road tax?

In short: yes. The electricity must come from an external source or an electric storage battery not connected to any source of power when the vehicle is moving.

Are classic motorcycles exempt from paying road tax?

You don’t have to pay vehicle tax on vehicles made before 1 January 1973 (known as ‘historic vehicles’).

Do I need to display my motorcycle tax disc?

All motor vehicles used or kept on public roads must display a valid Vehicle Excise Duty disc (tax disc) displayed at all times. Even motor vehicles exempt from duty MUST display a tax disc at all times.

Related Content

2014 Triumph Classics
Provisional 2014 World Superbike calendar released
2014 MotoGP calendar updated
Hutchinson signs with new BSB team FFX Yamaha
Provisional MotoGP entry list confirms Camier joins Iodaracing

Click here for full story...