ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 5th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #1
dustytoasters
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Changing Oil Without Replacing Filter

I've got nearly no oil in my engine but I want to get the oil and filter changed at a shop. But the bike shop is 10 miles away. The previous owner changed the filter 400 miles ago. Is it okay for me to change the oil without replacing the filter?

2 weeks ago, I was just adjusting my bike while it was off and I dropped it on its side. Engine oil leaked out of it but I didn't think it was engine oil and just shrugged it off. Now I'm looking at the sightglass and it looks like my engine desparately needs oil.

I don't have a filter on-hand and it'll take ~5 days for one to ship from Amazon but I'm having my motorcycle shipped across the country at the end of this week. I want to get the oil + filter done at a shop but I don't want to ride there and damage my bike some more.

I bought the bike a month ago and took it to a bike shop to have it looked it at. The mechanic said that I had a leaky valve cover gasket but that I could hold off on getting that repaired. Do you guys think thats how the engine oil got out?

Thanks!
dustytoasters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #2
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustytoasters View Post
I've got nearly no oil in my engine but I want to get the oil and filter changed at a shop. But the bike shop is 10 miles away. The previous owner changed the filter 400 miles ago. Is it okay for me to change the oil without replacing the filter?

2 weeks ago, I was just adjusting my bike while it was off and I dropped it on its side. Engine oil leaked out of it but I didn't think it was engine oil and just shrugged it off. Now I'm looking at the sightglass and it looks like my engine desparately needs oil.

I don't have a filter on-hand and it'll take ~5 days for one to ship from Amazon but I'm having my motorcycle shipped across the country at the end of this week. I want to get the oil + filter done at a shop but I don't want to ride there and damage my bike some more.

I bought the bike a month ago and took it to a bike shop to have it looked it at. The mechanic said that I had a leaky valve cover gasket but that I could hold off on getting that repaired. Do you guys think thats how the engine oil got out?

Thanks!
Trailer the bike to the shop or just dump some oil in and ride it to the shop. Your not really changing the oil your more of just toping it off.

Old August 5th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #3
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:

Thanks!
But why? You're talking about a few bucks! Do it right or don't talk to me.

Old August 5th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
..........The previous owner changed the filter 400 miles ago. Is it okay for me to change the oil without replacing the filter?.........
Yes, that filter and the remaining oil inside the engine will be good for another 6K miles.

All you need to do is re-fill the engine with some oil of proper viscosity.

Check these links out:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_check_my_oil%3F

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Oil_Change_Procedure

You need to have the bike perfectly vertical and on both wheels for refilling the oil, which level should reach half way the glass visor on the right side of the engine.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #5
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
...I've got nearly no oil in my engine but I want to get the oil and filter changed at a shop. But the bike shop is 10 miles away. The previous owner changed the filter 400 miles ago. Is it okay for me to change the oil without replacing the filter?
Are you checking the oil level properly?
The bike needs to be held level on both wheels and not on the center stand.
If the previous owner changed the oil 400 miles ago you shouldn't need to change it again. If your bike has no oil after 400 mile you have a terrible oil leak, which would be highly noticeable.

Quote:
....2 weeks ago, I was just adjusting my bike while it was off and I dropped it on its side. Engine oil leaked out of it but I didn't think it was engine oil and just shrugged it off. Now I'm looking at the sightglass and it looks like my engine desparately needs oil.

If oil leaked out, what did you think it was? Was it a very little bit or a lot?
Unless you had a significant amount of oil leak out, you may just need to top the level off just below the high mark on the sight glass. recheck it the right way. Make sure you wipe any spilled oil off of the engine and exhaust.

You may be able to pick up an oil filter at a local auto parts store. You don't have to buy one from a shop or online. have a look at the wiki.
http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Oil_Filters

While you're at it, get an owner's manual to help you get familiar with your bike.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 5th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:

Thanks!
If the previous owner changed the filter 400 miles ago then he also changed the oil. In that case there is no need to change the oil and filter. Just top off the oil.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.