ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Notices

Old April 20th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #1
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Flew home: sold bike bought bike

Well today I did the unexpected, I sold my ninja 250. Its been a great 3 years I have had with the bike. I did so much and learned so much on this bike. This bike took me from an inexperienced new rider to a rider ready to drag knee on every corner on the track without a second thought. I was planning to keep the bike and make it track only at some point but at this point in time its unfeasible to do so and probably will remain that way for a few years. I haven't really been logging on here in quite awhile mostly because of being constantly disappointed (most recently being hired and then the job falling through resulting in me staying in Ohio for a couple months) trying to get an engineering position and sending resumes and networking left and right.

In any case I had been really eying the new triumph bikes, in particular I really got interested in the new street triple r. I took an 09 for a test ride at the dealer, and man, that was an amazing ride. When the 13's came out I was really invested into getting one. I never thought I'd get interested in a naked bike but the looks of that triumph just kept me saying dayum that is a sweet looking bike.

So I walk into a dealer a few days ago and tell them I'm interested in a 2013 triumph street triple r. I'm told there is only one left in the state until the 2014 models come out. At that point I left and pondered whether I should go for it, which I did. So I called the next day put a deposit on it and 3 days later I pick it up this morning and drop off my 250. So allow me to present to you my new 2013 Triumph Street Triple R:

IMG_20130420_104440.jpg

IMG_20130420_104503.jpg

Better pics to come. So far this thing is awesome, its more advanced than my car (and a lot faster too lol). The induction sound it makes is friggen musical, one of the reasons I had to get a Triumph triple. It came with 6 miles on it (because they went to fill it up and run a check on it they say) and now its at 83. Clutch is a lot heavier than the 250 so I'm going to have to get used to that. Going to be adding a flyscreen, belly pan, and a host of other stuff as I save the money to do so.

When I first bought the 250 it was all I wanted and I felt satisfied when I got it. But then the motorcycle community that I was never fully aware of really got me started looking at all sorts of bikes. At the time I bought the 250 the thought of getting something else never crossed my mind but now, well, I done gots me somethin' else. Anyways thanks for reading and checking it out. I'll be sticking around, or continue lurking as I have been haha.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast

Last futzed with by 00NissanNinja; April 20th, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #2
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Cool Triple! I like those, very interesting design with the engine and look.

I bet you'll buy another 250 as a stable mate someday. I have owned 2 250s so far. Probably always either have one or miss one and want another!

Enjoy your new bike. I love the headlights on it the most.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Vergil
Laser Quest

Name: Austin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Black Ninja 250r

I usually don't care for the naked look, but that one is certainly a beauty.
Vergil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #4
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Great bike.
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #5
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
I love the headlights on it the most.
Thanks guys! Some people would rather have the round ones. But I like these more, and once you add the flyscreen it looks fantastic. I probably will get another 250 at some point. I loved it on the track especially when I'm overtaking the liter bikes in the corner, ahhh priceless lol.

Old April 20th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

I've been jonesing for a street triple myself lately. Congrats on the new bike!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #7
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

Very unique looking and parts / specs list

675cc from a 3 cylinder / KYB shocks / naked look / abs etc...

I should start paying more attention to this brand

Nice buy!
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #8
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Great looking bike. I'm wondering about a 675 triple or a 300 for my next bike. You going to be in Ohio anymore or are you back to Colorado?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #9
JELY1990
Boring is my middle name.

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

Nice bike! I've always had a thing for the street triples.
JELY1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #10
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

That's a swet ass ride man... Congratulations!!!!

Old April 20th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #11
psych0hans

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Great looking bike. I'm wondering about a 675 triple or a 300 for my next bike. You going to be in Ohio anymore or are you back to Colorado?
Daytona 675R FTW baby!!! Buy it and drool all over the ohlins...

Old April 21st, 2013, 05:24 AM   #12
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Nice bike
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2013, 08:26 AM   #13
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Great bike -- you won't be disappointed! And good choice to go with the R spec. Mine was standard, and the suspension was total crap. Literally, it was worse than the 300's. And those Brembos really bite. You, my friend, are going to have the time of your life.

Be safe!
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2013, 08:32 AM   #14
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
Buy it and drool all over the ohlins...
But i could buy two 300's for that price. I'd have a decently outfitted track bike and a relatively stock street bike and less insurance. Big bikes cost a lot in my mind.

Old April 21st, 2013, 10:27 AM   #15
psych0hans

Quote:
But i could buy two 300's for that price. I'd have a decently outfitted track bike and a relatively stock street bike and less insurance. Big bikes cost a lot in my mind.
They do, but it's also a blast owning one... Well worth it me thinks... And you guys have them soooo much cheaper there, as opposed to india... Lol. Anyways, I'm putting money down on a green 300 come Tuesday.

Old April 21st, 2013, 11:07 AM   #16
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
Great bike -- you won't be disappointed! And good choice to go with the R spec. Mine was standard, and the suspension was total crap.
Thanks man. You were on triumph675 for a time right? The R was only 600 more than the standard and I definitely wanted an adjustable suspension so I had to go with it. The brakes are worth the extra too. I put 70 miles after buying it so I'm definitely enjoying it

@choneofakind I'm not sure yet if I'm coming back to Ohio as a permanent move. I'm still waiting for this company to call me back on the position I interviewed for at wright patterson AFB. I'll probably call them Monday but I'm getting tired of leaving voice mails for them that they neglect to check. I will be coming back for a week or so to finish fixing up an 85 mazda rx7 for a client. I was excited to move but I got screwed over.

One of the reasons I went with a street triple over a daytona is its cheaper than a daytona, still as much fun as a daytona, and much cheaper to insure than the daytona. Plus I don't know why but I'm just not feeling supersports at the moment.

@Bob2010 thanks!, this bike has a lot of standard equipment its really well equipped for the price. Has a lot a gadgets I've never had before too. I'd probably have to make a long video just to go through it all.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:54 PM   #17
ChrisMKV
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250, 2015 F800R

Congrats in the New Bike!
So, how different is it from the 250 in terms of Body positioning? How hard is the transition to 675cc?
ChrisMKV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:16 PM   #18
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Google has plenty of new rider comparisons.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 04:18 PM   #19
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I've been jonesing for a street triple myself lately. Congrats on the new bike!
traitor!

Old April 22nd, 2013, 04:27 PM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

The 300 isn't going anywhere, don't worry.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2013, 05:08 PM   #21
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMKV View Post
Congrats in the New Bike!
So, how different is it from the 250 in terms of Body positioning? How hard is the transition to 675cc?
Thanks! Not very different, pretty similar to the 250, maybe a touch more leaned over the tank. The rearsets are set up supersport style. It's also quite a bit higher seating position than the 250. Wasn't bad adjusting to it. I rode about 20 miles home from the dealer without any problems. I've ridden a few 600s and 1000s too. Just have to be mindful of what you are doing with your throttle hand.

But keep in mind I rode the 250 for nearly 17,000 miles and did plenty of track days, canyon rides, etc. Probably would have been up past 20k if I had the normal amount of summer free time. I'm the kind of person that likes to pursue riding or driving something at its limit so I am fully knowledgeable of its characteristics, so I was always asking about what I could improve on riding the 250 during track days. That way when I'm on the street I am able to recognize the performance of the bike better and avoid situations. I'll be doing the same with the new bike as time goes on.

But back to the Stiple haha. The Striple has a rather smooth power band and builds power pretty linearly. I'm still breaking it in though and keeping the revs under 6.5k. Still has enough pull down low to make you hold on for dear life. The clutch is a lot heavier than the 250 so I'm conditioning my hand to the heavy pull. This year's striple has a longer first gear too which makes it harder to wheelie it, which is fine with me since I don't want to do wheelies. The longer first also makes it a little harder to get launches from a stop just right. Its not too much heavier than the 250 either and feels great taking corners at a fast pace. Very flick-able and easy to ride like the 250. The handling reminds me of the zx6r.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 05:29 PM   #22
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

I hear fantastic things about those bikes! Wouldn't mind owning one myself.

Although, I would like to own a 09 Striple R because I am a fan of the round headlights and undertail exhaust. Unfortunately I am a poor college student so I am gonna have to wait a little while.

Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2013, 05:31 PM   #23
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
Thanks man. You were on triumph675 for a time right? The R was only 600 more than the standard and I definitely wanted an adjustable suspension so I had to go with it. The brakes are worth the extra too. I put 70 miles after buying it so I'm definitely enjoying it
You got it. Same username. I like those guys a lot. I've got some good riding buddies on 675s. I'm excited for the nicer weather to get out and see if I can keep up with 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
But back to the Stiple haha. The Striple has a rather smooth power band and builds power pretty linearly. I'm still breaking it in though and keeping the revs under 6.5k. Still has enough pull down low to make you hold on for dear life. The clutch is a lot heavier than the 250 so I'm conditioning my hand to the heavy pull. This year's striple has a longer first gear too which makes it harder to wheelie it, which is fine with me since I don't want to do wheelies. The longer first also makes it a little harder to get launches from a stop just right. Its not too much heavier than the 250 either and feels great taking corners at a fast pace. Very flick-able and easy to ride like the 250. The handling reminds me of the zx6r.
Yeah, that clutch was one of the first things I DIDN'T miss when I sold mine for the 300, haha. But you definitely get used to it; it's just a pain in stop-n-go.

That's interesting about them making it harder to wheelie; I'd be surprised if it's all that hard. They just loaded so much torque down low on a bike where you're sitting so upright. That front wheel wanted to lift all the damn time!

That triple mill really is an amazing thing. I'll have another one -- whether 675 or 1050 or whatever -- some day. But the sound, the torque spread, the character: it's a beautiful machine. Have fun, my friend!

Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:22 PM   #24
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
That's interesting about them making it harder to wheelie; I'd be surprised if it's all that hard. They just loaded so much torque down low on a bike where you're sitting so upright. That front wheel wanted to lift all the damn time!
I'm pretty sure it'll still wheelie easily just not as eager, which is what I saw in a lot of reviews. My hand was dying in traffic, every time I had to stop and start up again I could hear my wrist saying "NO!!!! please god no!!! no more shifting." But that was about 60 miles into a ride, I'm sure my hands will adjust with time. The exercise will be good for tennis haha. Think I'll join up on that forum too.

@Jono that is the exact model I test rode a few months before getting this model, except it had an arrow lowboy on it. Once I was done with the ride I knew I had to get one.

Old April 24th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #25
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

This was one of the bikes I was considering when I decided to sell the 250r.

I love the color scheme! I know a few people who swear by these bikes and refuse to even try anything else lol. Stay safe and enjoy!
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #26
psych0hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
I hear fantastic things about those bikes! Wouldn't mind owning one myself.

Although, I would like to own a 09 Striple R because I am a fan of the round headlights and undertail exhaust. Unfortunately I am a poor college student so I am gonna have to wait a little while.

My cousin has this and he's totally gayed it up by making the wheels + handlebars etc... this really gaudy gold... Poor bike...

Old April 24th, 2013, 06:10 AM   #27
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
he's totally gayed it up by making the wheels + handlebars gold.
I've asked this before, I'l ask it again; exactly how do you make a motorcycle look joyful or homosexual? I'm confused.

Oh wait... you meant that it looks stupid? How about we say that then.

Nothing on you Hans, I like you. That's just one of my pet peeves.

Old April 24th, 2013, 06:15 AM   #28
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I've asked this before, I'l ask it again; exactly how do you make a motorcycle look joyful or homosexual? I'm confused.

Atta' boy Chone.

Old April 24th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #29
psych0hans

Quote:

Nope, I mean it looks gay. Why does it look gay? He took a pretty masculine looking bike and added glitter to it... lol Said bike... Trust me, it looks worse in person...

Old April 24th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #30
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Nope, I mean it looks gay. Why does it look gay? He took a pretty masculine looking bike and added glitter to it... lol Said bike... Trust me, it looks worse in person...

Old April 24th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #31
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

I'm so jealous!! That's going to be my next bike, I had my heart set on a ZX6R for the longest time but then I saw the insurance rates on naked bikes. The Triumph is the second best looking IMO (I love the headlights, they give it an ugly Subaru sort of character). I'm hoping to pick one up sometime within the next year.

Old April 24th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #32
psych0hans

I'm curious, how come my cousin's bike has a single sided swingarm and the other bikes don't?

*edit*

Quote:
I need to do that to myself... My cousin's bike is a speed triple, not a street triple... What a noob...

Old April 25th, 2013, 07:09 AM   #33
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Don't feel bad it took me about a week till I realized the Speedy is the one with the single sided swingarm.

Old April 25th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #34
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
I'm hoping to pick one up sometime within the next year.
You won't regret it its a pretty sweet ride. Insurance was also one of the reason I bought it. The price to insure this or a ninja 650 are equal and much less than a supersport, and this bike is basically a naked supersport with a more up right riding position.

@NathanUc Thanks! I think Triumph has definitely won my permanent attention just like Kawasaki.

Old April 27th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #35
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Some better pics from my ride today:

IMG_20130427_170226.jpg

IMG_20130427_170243.jpg

IMG_20130427_170313.jpg

IMG_20130427_170333.jpg

Old April 28th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #36
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I dig them. neat bike.

Old April 28th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #37
psych0hans

Looking sweet!!!

Old April 28th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #38
pmason718
ninjette.org member

Name: Prince

Motorcycle(s): ZX10R

Congrats on the purchase but as much as I like the Triple if I was buying a naked it would def have to be the Z1000
pmason718 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #39
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Quote:
Seen gayer bikes.

Or more homosexual looking bikes... If @choneofakind likes that better.

My pet peeve is hyper sensitivity. He wasn't saying it looked stupid. But it looks imassculine....

OP good looking bike although I also am a fan of the older style. Better start working that grip out for your clutch hand. Lol
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2013, 11:52 AM   #40
psych0hans

Meh... It's all good... I was never known to be politically correct, why start now...