chemist
ninjette.org member

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): gsxr 600 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Interesting thing....a huge rat ran out onto the road while on my commute:

Link to original page on YouTube.

Ok, I know I commented a bit on this craziness but a bit more… Do you think you would have gone down if you ran over that dog? We were instructed in MSF to change pace i.e. decrease speed and then accelerate if a dog is coming at you. However, I get a lot of dogs if on country roads and I know some of them like you have seen just come out of nowhere.

Old April 13th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #42
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I believe the rule is, if you can eat it in one sitting, you can run it over without much fuss. Any bigger and your chances of going down go up respectively to the size of what you hit.

As far as the MSF and dogs go, your goal is to break the dog's intercept point via speed changes. Chasing dogs are a hunting animal, break that point your chances of avoidance goes way up. I will trade ya anytime, my neighbor has 6 dogs, 4 of which give chase. Then literally 1 mile down the road, is another who loves to get in front my front wheel, then proceed to walk casually.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2015, 04:28 PM   #43
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
Proficient motorcycling arrived...........
For the scenic roads I had to goals:
Relax and push chest, head and eyes in direction of turn or in other words where I wanted to go. I really had an incredibly enjoyable time............. and just naturally rolled on the gas I found myself going quite a bit faster. Still not something I would get pulled over for but it was obvious that I was improving!!

Regarding dogs:
http://www.soundrider.com/archive/sa...oby_traps.aspx
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2015, 05:03 PM   #44
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
my rule of thumb, downshift and engine brake to simultaneously increase noise (scare dog a bit) and decrease speed (confuse dog as they end up in front of you) before going around the pup

the bigger thing in my experience is that my mind is easily distracted and I have actually crashed before as a result of being distracted by a barking dog in combination with gravel and excessive speed for the conditions (would not have been anywhere near excessive w/o gravel)

Old April 13th, 2015, 05:16 PM   #45
chemist
ninjette.org member

Goodness @csmith12 that sounds like an awful situation. I must admit that part of me as a bicycle rider finds enjoyment in the fact that more than one "people group" suffer from this dog affliction. I have a beautiful bicycle route that is pretty hilly but involves a few mutt/pitbulls and more often than not I avoid a small section of the route because of the dogs. I have had a racing buddy go down real hard and end up in the hospital because of playful dogs and I have also gone down while being chased by several pit bull mutts.

@Motofool- GREAT article and if you don't mind, I am going to share this with my cycling buddies. I am often looking for posture of dogs when bicycling and whether I need to dismount or carry on with speed. I have talked to several owners and the police on several occasions. In my county, there is a dog lease policy that warrants police attention but I often travel to other counties without lease policies and basically have been told by authorities "good luck."

Ok, Ok. So i wasn't going to post as I really don't want to be a post whore but this book is really good and challenging. A couple of things:

0-6 months riding in traffic is almost the highest risk, go figure. However, according to the Hurt report in the period of 25-36 months of riding you are actually at more of a risk than when you first started simply do to "cockiness". This is pretty sobering and totally believable. Yes, I am in a super aware state of mind right now but I am becoming more and more comfortable on a bike and it is a bit scary knowing and easily understanding that I can be at even more of a risk at 25 months. All that being said, 48+ months and your golden

Ok, my second point goes along with my journaling and progression. I scored a 41 on the first chapter quiz. Basically, had I scored an 80 or higher than I would have had an indication of doing a lot of the right things!! 80 people..damn…80?? Anyway, it is telling. Yes, I am learning and yes I am growing but motorcycling is a major risk. I lost 5 points for not practicing quick stops, I don't know cross edge traps and I lost 5 for constantly riding in traffic. I also can't list twenty common surface hazards. Than again, there are a lot of things that I do right and this test basically says that if you are over 40 than you are ok but man I am close and it is a telling fact given that I would be ok in saying that I am learning and growing just about as fast and appropriate as possible. I gained a lot of points for ATGATT and MSF and not drinking.

anyways…food for thought

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 13th, 2015, 05:26 PM   #46
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
chemist, you should ask csmith about owls

also, damn I fit the cockiness to a T. I haven't had any close calls in so long that I'm getting comfortable...on the bright side no close calls in a while

Old April 13th, 2015, 07:46 PM   #47
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Ok, I know I commented a bit on this craziness but a bit more… Do you think you would have gone down if you ran over that dog? We were instructed in MSF to change pace i.e. decrease speed and then accelerate if a dog is coming at you. However, I get a lot of dogs if on country roads and I know some of them like you have seen just come out of nowhere.
I don't think I would've gone down had I ran it over. But poor guy would be in a world of hurt.

I think the MSF instructions for dogs was meant for you to see the dog coming and had a few seconds to react. I just found the unedited video. I think I had less than 1 second to react. I didn't see the dog until he was off the sidewalk (at the 0:03 second mark of this video). I'm always looking ahead, never occurred to me I had to keep an eye open for stuff that goes on in the sidewalk. But it was a good learning experience....as I am more receptive of my surrounds now (including the sidewalk).

I paused the video at 0:03. And by the time my front tire reached the dog, it was the beginning of 0:04.

Old April 13th, 2015, 11:42 PM   #48
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Poul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

I got pepper spray in my saddle bag just for the chasing dogs. Strangely enough, no dog chased my motorcycle since I've got the spray. They KNOW!

Old April 14th, 2015, 12:56 AM   #49
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
By the time you open your saddlebag, reach in with your clumsy gloves, pull it out, click the safety off with your dexterous gloves on, aim the can, calculate the rate of speed you're traveling vs the wind speed, then pressing the button.....you'll probably end up with an visor full of mace.

Old April 14th, 2015, 05:25 PM   #50
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

Yeah, but, as I said, it works from within the saddlebags!

Old April 14th, 2015, 09:54 PM   #51
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
James Bond setup?!

Old April 14th, 2015, 11:18 PM   #52
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

More like Jedi Knight.

Old April 15th, 2015, 05:58 AM   #53
chemist
ninjette.org member

So several of my co-workers actually ride. Still nothing like Europe but on a really nice day you will see 4+ bikes in the lot. That and the key big wigs ride which is important. All that being said, I still deal with the motorcycles will kill you and you have a family crap. Nothing unusual but for some reason I get hell when I ride in on crappy days/rainy days. Had my bosses boss(who rides) jokingly let me know that it was foolish to ride yesterday and he values me at the company etc etc.

/end rant

Anyway, ride report- Light drizzle in the am. Again, wiping from left to right and not up to down is a major game changer with the held glovers- they are awesome!
I slipped up and did not perform TCLOCS yesterday morning. Really bummed. I doubled checked when I got to work and later in the evening checked tires. ~1psi low but not bad. Still, I should have mentally checked myself as I was running a bit late. Granted 1psi low in rain was probably ideal but not happy about my slip up.

No real issues yesterday. Certainly obvious that my braking is not as good in the rain but I mentally use a bit more rear when I know i will be in slippery conditions and leave a lot of space.

Since I was on a tight schedule I left work a bit early and decided that I would try the "superslab" for a few exits since I knew I wouldn't have traffic.Pretty smooth sailing, wind turbulence wasn't really different at 55 vs 75mph(unless I got behind a semi...WOW). All that being said, I could tell that if any emergency situation had happened I would be flaring my SRs and I really need to get out this week and practice braking at different speeds. It was nice being relaxed though as I hit a small divot at 70mph and goodness I can't imagine what that would have felt like had I had a tight grip. Anyways, I had my fill for a few exits and got back off, not ready(well at least safely). I am confident I could take my whole commute via highway and probably be fine but I am going to get some more practice first. Ohh and you really have to commit to countersteering at that speed a little tug here and there doesn't work as well.

Eventually, I think I have routed a GREAT route with about 5-7 miles of highway that takes me to the Natchez trace(beautiful scenic back roads all the way home for the remaining miles.

Old April 16th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #54
chemist
ninjette.org member

So, I have been reading through a bunch of information again and taking it all in, exciting stuff!! Ended up in a bit of a T-storm this morning. Nothing to crazy but it was a little un-nerving having lighting going off around my area. The basic weather site had totally missed the T-storm. What does everyone recommend for weather sites? I have downloaded weather underground for my iphone and really like it. Seems accurate and has a ton of information. All that being said, it was fairly light rain and the way home was just cloudy. During my ride in I focused on remaining slow to stops as I didn't want my feet down during the T-storm. When I did stop, I had my heels planted on the ground as I have metal toe sliders towards my toes. Good idea? screw it your crazy for riding in T-storms or ehh you won't get struck?

Secondly, I do have a nice bathroom to store clothes at the office and since I wasn't really prepared for wet weather, I let my stinky leathers dry in there. Seriously guys, wet leather sucks. I need to buy a leather treatment for the jacket but what are you guys using for odor with this stuff? febreze? baking soda packets? Their has to be a trick for the work place with wet leather?

No real road issues today which is good as I have yet to practice my emergency braking. Hoping to this weekend. Still trying out new commuting routes. This go around, I took a slightly longer route with less traffic and higher speeds 55mph but still not a "highway." I was actually able to get home a bit quicker and really enjoyed not being in stop and go traffic. This route also felt much safer and I was also able to ride at a non-highway speed that wouldn't induce my SRs !! Really excited about this new route as I progress.

earplugs are still a pain for me. I have had them in for about 50% of my rides and had them in today. I am trying out different ones as we have several disposable types at my workplace. Found myself once stopped at a light with the throttle still slightly going Just can't hear as well but I need to get used to it!

I should actually be getting close to 1500-1700 miles. Only saying that as it is amazing that people recommend 600cc bikes as early as 1k miles. Not saying I couldn't do it but I still have A LOT to learn. really excited I started on this bike

Old April 16th, 2015, 03:16 PM   #55
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Found myself once stopped at a light with the throttle still slightly going Just can't hear as well but I need to get used to it!
Here is a secret... hearing that you still had the throttle applied at a stop is a symptom and catching yourself making a different mistake that has nothing to do with hearing. What do you think it is?

Old April 16th, 2015, 03:29 PM   #56
chemist
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Here is a secret... hearing that you still had the throttle applied at a stop is a symptom and catching yourself making a different mistake that has nothing to do with hearing. What do you think it is?
Hmm, that is a good point. OK, well I am not rev matching when decelerating to brake for a light so I am going to eliminate that option. Now, I still tend to brake for stop lights like I am a mac truck, in other words I almost always stop quicker than anticipated and than I have to apply a little bit of throttle to close that distance. That being said, I am going to go with the worst offender here and say that I am still being a little tense. I do still constantly have to remind myself to relax. I bet that at this point in time I was being to stiff and had a lock on the throttle with my arms and upper body pinning it into a little bit of gas.?

I do also have that cruise control aftermarket feature that I fear gets in the way from time to time. I have removed the cable once to look at it as I noticed if I let go of the throttle it does not always snap back in place. This does happen from time to time in that I let go and it is very sluggish in snapping back to close but I will go ahead and admit that I was probably just a bit to tense at this stop.

Old April 16th, 2015, 03:33 PM   #57
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
I am going to go with the worst offender here and say that I am still being a little tense. I do still constantly have to remind myself to relax. I bet that at this point in time I was being to stiff and had a lock on the throttle with my arms and upper body pinning it into a little bit of gas.?
Bingo!

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #58
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
........... I am still being a little tense. I do still constantly have to remind myself to relax.........
It is normal at the beginning.
Remember breathing deeply and slowly and looking far away rather than close ahead of your front tire.
Those two things will help you relax.

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:37 PM   #59
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Remember breathing deeply and slowly and looking far away rather than close ahead of your front tire.

Old April 16th, 2015, 10:49 PM   #60
Aufitt
The A Team

Name: Aufitt

Motorcycle(s): Z50, CB125, RZ500, MC22, R3.

Quote:

I do also have that cruise control aftermarket feature that I fear gets in the way from time to time..
'Cruise control' (especially those kind) have NO place on a motorcycle.
The throttle must snap fully closed quickly.

Get rid of it.
Aufitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2015, 04:18 AM   #61
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
I slipped up and did not perform TCLOCS yesterday morning. Really bummed. I doubled checked when I got to work and later in the evening checked tires. ~1psi low but not bad. Still, I should have mentally checked myself as I was running a bit late. Granted 1psi low in rain was probably ideal but not happy about my slip up.
This made me smile. Good for you for keeping safety in mind but it's really not necessary to go all OCD on stuff like this. Personally I give the bike a once-over maybe every week or so, if I'm riding every day.

Quick question: Do you do TCLOCS on your car every time you drive?

If not, why not? What makes the bike different? (Aside from having a kickstand and a chain.... )

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2015, 07:14 AM   #62
michvin
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Honda CB 500x

Quote:
I wonder what MSF would recommend in this case
michvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2015, 07:20 AM   #63
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Quote:
Originally Posted by michvin View Post
I believe the rule for that one is sing the state farm jingle lol

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2015, 07:27 AM   #64
chemist
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Bingo!
I am such a newbie all good though...glad I figured it out with some help!
Quote:
Thanks motofool! I was also singing a bit this morning Pretty calm enjoyable ride this morning. Also helps that the weather cooperated today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufitt View Post
'Cruise control' (especially those kind) have NO place on a motorcycle.
The throttle must snap fully closed quickly.

Get rid of it.
Doing so tonight! Eventually getting some heated grips and was going to wait but I am going to go ahead and remove it as it looks like a philllips screwdriver is all I will need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
This made me smile. Good for you for keeping safety in mind but it's really not necessary to go all OCD on stuff like this. Personally I give the bike a once-over maybe every week or so, if I'm riding every day.

If not, why not? What makes the bike different? (Aside from having a kickstand and a chain.... )
Yea, I don't do all of the TCLOCS every morning and in that case I had just rushed out the door without even looking at the bike. In hindsight I was probably fine. It has taken me a couple of weeks to figure out what kind of a change to expect in tire pressure etc. I do typically reinflate tires now just once a week but I do try and check for nails/debris before I head home from work. I also check the floor of my garage for any leaks and I check turn signals but other than that I check levels when I inflate my tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michvin View Post
Oh goodness. That would suck

Old April 17th, 2015, 08:43 AM   #65
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
OP, don't listen to adouglas, do your TCLOCS check daily. It's a good habit. Here's how I do my TCLOCS in under 1 minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

I look at my car tires each and every time I get in my car. I don't go out of the way to look at all 4 tires. But as I'm approaching my car, I can glance and see at least 2 tires.

What makes the bike different? I hope you were joking.
Lights - if one of my brake light bulb blew out I still have 2 that are working.
Oil. The dummy light turns on if I'm low
If my brake fluid is low, dummy light turns on
If I get a flat tire, I still have 3 more.
If my turn signals aren't working, dummy light turns on
If one of my brake caliper fails, I still have three. If all 4 fail at the same time, I have the hand brake. If that's not fast enough, I can slam the car in Park. If I drive a manual, I'll just shift it in 1st and pop the clutch.

And more importantly, if any of those don't work, I am surrounded by a highly engineered 4,000lbs cage that will crumple and absorb a tremendous amount of energy before my 8 air bags deploy.

So yeah.....it doesn't take more than 2 minutes to do a TCLOCS check. I make it part of my daily routine.

Old April 17th, 2015, 08:56 AM   #66
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I think you missed my point... I was trying to put TCLOCS in a real-world perspective. We do not routinely do TCLOCS-like checks on our cars, but new riders do it on their bikes all the time. We tend to treat cars like appliances... they're expected to perform every time as a matter of course.

Idiot lights and "spares" don't count as checking. They're a fallback. The bike has an oil light but TCLOCS means check the oil, not rely on the light. Same with tires and all the rest.

The automotive equivalent of a proper TCLOCS check as taught by MSF would include getting eyeballs on every light (or at least confirming by reflection against garage doors, other cars, etc.), visually confirming that all four tires are correctly inflated, doing a conscious function check of brakes, clutch, throttle and steering (lock to lock) before driving off, and visually checking the oil, brake reservoir and coolant. Chain and sidestand do not apply.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2015, 02:26 PM   #67
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
I understand adouglass. But you also have to realize why a TCLOCS check on a car isn't as important as one on a bike. If everything fails at the same time in a car, you're still somewhat protected inside a full cage with deployable airbags in case of an accident.

If one brake light fails, you have two left. If both brake lights fail, you still have the center one working. But on a bike....I know 99% of the time, the bike will functional properly. And for the 1% of the time that it doesn't, you'd probably realize it 50ft down the block when something feels off.

But I just feel safer to do my 1 minute check. You can say I'm wasting my time....perhaps I am. But for me personally, it makes me feel more comfortable.

Old April 18th, 2015, 01:47 PM   #68
chemist
ninjette.org member

Appreciate the insight guys on TCLOCS. Currently I am still checking most everything with tire pressure done weekly. I don't check oil but once a week but lights/turn signals and brake fluid along with a casual glance at tires daily is about my routine.

So, I went out and practiced braking!!! finally! I did one trail run at 20mph and than I did about 7 attempts at 30mph. I would have liked a bit more practice but a it was a beautiful day which equates to not many vacant lots. I ended up practicing on some backroads that I knew nobody but cyclists would be on. My first couple of attempts were decent but I was a little heavy on the rear brake surprisingly. The cruiser bike that we were on at the MSF course had pretty shoddy "feel" with the rear brake and you really had to press on it. I learned I am applying a little more rear brake than I thought. I lost traction on the first two attempts in the rear but nothing crazy. Honestly, I only lost traction in the rear to the point of "hmm that was cool."

I was a bit nervous for obvious reasons as I knew I would be braking hard so my body was relaxed but I could tell my nerves were spiked. I probably could have clinched the front a bit tighter and plan to improve but initially I gave a good have a second of soft braking before I clamped down on the front brake. All that being said, I came to a stop pretty dang quick. I had no way of video/recording the event but given the 30-40feet average in the other thread going right now I feel confident that I am in that range. I had a few sessions were I got as close to a stop sign as comfortably possible doing ~30mph and emergency braked always landing well short of the sign.

This practice REALLY helped and I noticed major improvements! I also took off that bloody cruise control mod that was on my bike and the throttle feels a bit better but I am presuming that is a placebo effect.

For new riders that stumble across this thread or are reading it now...seriously, this stuff was awesome! It took me all of 20 minutes maybe and I plan to do it much more often. That and I feel a lot more comfortable at 30mph. Next go around, I will try and increase my speed a bit as I gain confidence!!

This also boosts my quiz score from the first few chapters in Hough's book. I will have to retake that quiz soon

Old April 18th, 2015, 10:47 PM   #69
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

On weekends, I usually go to a nearby school for a vacant parking lot.

Old April 19th, 2015, 10:10 AM   #70
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
I still practice braking drills. I found a dirt/gravel/pebble road with little to no traffic. After checking my mirrors, I clamp down on the brakes at 30mph. Lucky for me, I have abs. So when it kicks in, I know I effed up.

Old April 20th, 2015, 07:13 AM   #71
chemist
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
I still practice braking drills. I found a dirt/gravel/pebble road with little to no traffic. After checking my mirrors, I clamp down on the brakes at 30mph. Lucky for me, I have abs. So when it kicks in, I know I effed up.
Don't you find the gravel/pebble road a bit hairy for traction/grip while practicing? My next bike will have abs I think

Old April 20th, 2015, 12:22 PM   #72
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Don't you find the gravel/pebble road a bit hairy for traction/grip while practicing? My next bike will have abs I think
Yes. Butt clenching at times. But I rather practice intentionally than to be caught off guard if I somehow end up on a gravel road with no way out.

After I accidentally rode on the gravel rode, I wanted to sign up for a dirt bike course...hoping the things I'll learn will transfer back over to street riding.

Old April 20th, 2015, 12:33 PM   #73
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

@cadd, you need a road trip to KY when the spring rains are over. We can go back in the woods on 4wheelers to get you used to the feeling of sliding without the added risk of 2 wheels. When you are game, you can get on the pw80 and feel those same slides. When you are ready... you can get on the yz125 and throw a rooster tail as long as stones will allow you to twist the throttle.

Just lemme know...

Old April 20th, 2015, 08:32 PM   #74
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
I would give you a thumbs up. But I can't. KY is too far for me!!!! But if I'm every passing through KY for some reason, I'll definitely look you up!

Old April 22nd, 2015, 04:12 PM   #75
chemist
ninjette.org member

Updates-

Picked up some cable lube per this thread https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...ighlight=cable

I should do that this weekend for the first time which should be fun! I have had a grunge brush and chain lube for a while (came natural with owning a bicycle).

I am racking up the miles. Should be pretty close to 9k now. I have noticed that I can "flick" the bike a bit better and more naturally now. Sitting further back on the seat at speed also really helps the handling of the bike.

I have had a few incidents but again nothing to write home about. I do wonder what these incidents would be like though if I was not so involved in being sade and learning. Statistically speaking albeit a bit morbid, I am curious on my crashing odds.

I had one incident at night where two lanes merge from a fork of roughly 40 degrees. I had the right away but of course presume everyone is out to kill me. I am in the habit now of flicking my high beams on at night at intersections and side alleys where I think I might have issues of not being seen. This was one such case. I saw the car coming and sensed he had no idea that I was there, flicked on the high beams and I didn't see any change of pace from this vehicle. I bled a bit of speed with the front brake and made sure I was far to the right as we merged so that if he slammed on his brakes realizing I was there that I would be able to punch it through safely. He didn't see me, i scrubbed speed and avoided incident…MEH

Had a few other cars pull out from the left or right over the past few days way to close but again, keeping my brakes covered it was a non issue and what I would describe as annoying.

I have a small section of roadway on the way home that is pretty sketchy with 4 lanes and several cars that turn out of alleys and also have to stop traffic as they signal to turn left and wait for a brake in traffic. I typically just stay visible and slow with covered levers. no issue thus far.

Had a bit of soreness today as I tried to ride home almost 24/7 as far back on the seat as possible It works great for general at speed cruising but stop and go traffic it is an annoyance. So I am figuring out a good distance to sit at between the tank and the rear cowl. That and I probably just need to vary my position given the circumstance.

Had low 40 degree temp this morning and wore a balaclava. Had some issues with sweat forming on the inside of my helmet. Stopped at a gas station to wipe out the inside but it was pretty bad for the first couple minutes of riding. Other than that no real issue.

Deep breaths after heavy traffic really help me relax and get back into staying light on the grips.

thanks guys!

Old April 23rd, 2015, 04:28 AM   #76
chemist
ninjette.org member

As a quick note- I put a dab of peppermint oil on my neck before my commute this morning and LOVED it! I know oils are all the rage now and they are WAY over hyped but I do believe a few of the oils help with some minor issues.

Anyway, I love the smell, its relaxing, and if you believe any of the benefits its a win win. I am contemplating using it a bit more. Thoughts?

Old April 23rd, 2015, 08:54 PM   #77
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
So, I went out and practiced braking!!! finally! I did one trail run at 20mph and than I did about 7 attempts at 30mph. I would have liked a bit more practice but a it was a beautiful day which equates to not many vacant lots. I ended up practicing on some backroads that I knew nobody but cyclists would be on. My first couple of attempts were decent but I was a little heavy on the rear brake surprisingly. The cruiser bike that we were on at the MSF course had pretty shoddy "feel" with the rear brake and you really had to press on it. I learned I am applying a little more rear brake than I thought. I lost traction on the first two attempts in the rear but nothing crazy. Honestly, I only lost traction in the rear to the point of "hmm that was cool."

I was a bit nervous for obvious reasons as I knew I would be braking hard so my body was relaxed but I could tell my nerves were spiked. I probably could have clinched the front a bit tighter and plan to improve but initially I gave a good have a second of soft braking before I clamped down on the front brake. All that being said, I came to a stop pretty dang quick. I had no way of video/recording the event but given the 30-40feet average in the other thread going right now I feel confident that I am in that range. I had a few sessions were I got as close to a stop sign as comfortably possible doing ~30mph and emergency braked always landing well short of the sign.............
I recommend keep practicing emergency braking but only at low speeds.
The reason is that any mistake at higher than 20 mph would be costly an discouraging.

The deceleration and the forces that you experience, and ideally become familiar with (so you don't find them unusual or surprising in a way that is unsettling when the real moment arrives), are exactly the same coming to a stop from 20 mph or 100 mph.

The main thing is keeping record of and trying to reduce your stopping distance while keeping the bike and contact patches controlled.

Use the rear brake first to safely transfer weight forward and increase the capability of the front contact patch.
The rear brake has maximum capability when the bike is rolling with no deceleration; hence, you can be heavy on it initially while light on the front brake (front pads touching and dragging disc and heating up for reaching maximum performance next).
After that initial moment, easy the pressure on the rear lever before it starts skidding and increase it on the front lever, not instantaneously but assertively and quickly, more as the forks sink down.

You will make the front tire skid while you perfect the technique and shorten the stopping distances, that is normal.
Nevertheless, practicing reducing some pressure immediately but only enough to allow the wheel roll and keep steering capability is of absolute importance, especially when emergency stopping on sand or wet pavement (even more for painted and steel surfaces).

If you have some time, please read these and all its links:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147774

http://www.msgroup.org/Articles.aspx?Cat=2

The goal is to learn to "feel" what your front contact patch is feeling in terms of vertical and horizontal (sideways and rearward) loads and limits.
After you have developed and mastered that important sixth sense, the goal will be to keep your vision far away looking for a escape route while you keep perfect balance of the bike using your body weight and minute steering and cleanly and automatically execute the best deceleration that you, your tires and your machine can achieve for that specific pavement conditions.

You may still hit that car turning left in front of you, but the amount of kinetic energy that you dissipate through proper braking may make all the difference regarding damage and trauma.

Knowing that you are learning quickly makes me very happy.
Ride safely and stay curious !!!

Old April 23rd, 2015, 09:17 PM   #78
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
You may still hit that car turning left in front of you, but the amount of kinetic energy that you dissipate through proper braking may make all the difference regarding damage and trauma.
^^^

Notice the report says "left turn" and cager (unit 2) cited for "failure to yield"

My friends bike (unit 1)

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 24th, 2015, 05:11 AM   #79
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Sorry Chris, by mistake I down voted your last post.
Big fingers, little phone and not enough coffee.
Maybe @Alex could fix it for me?

Old April 24th, 2015, 06:37 AM   #80
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

lol no problem, it happens

Maybe in these cases of left turnings, we can get parachutes. hahahaha