ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 17th, 2015, 04:05 AM   #1
yogurtpooh
ninjette.org member

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

forks fixed and now handle bars are weird

hey, my front fork seals were both leaking oil and I had a shop fix them.
the ride is great now, so much better than before. However, my handle bars seems to be leaning to the right slightly and my throttle is close to my arm creating an uneven arm posture. I took it back to the shop, they tested it for a day and adjusted it, and then it's still off exactly like nothing happened. I took it to another shop and they adjusted it too and it's better but still not directly in the middle. So my question is, are the handle bars supposed to be in the middle like in the first picture? my fairings are all crooked and stuff from a couple of drops. The second picture shows that I have to lean the handle bar to a slight bit to the right to go straight. but when it does go straight, it's very straight. Also, my roads all pretty much lean to the right- does that have much of an effect on the way the handle bars should be?
Any ideas? this is a big problem because four different mechanics have tested it and they all say it's fine. but I know it feels weird.

yogurtpooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2015, 09:05 AM   #2
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Try Fork alignment

It often happens that a little bump (or a large one) knocks the front fork out of alignment. This can often be noticed by a off center fender or odd handling. Here's how to straighten them.

Tools required: Wrenches to loosen the triple clamp pinch bolts and the front Axel bolts.
a Flat piece of metal or glass about 3 inches wide and long enough to span the forks.

First check if you need to do this. Lay the metal plate across the bar chrome part of the fork tubes, and rock it across corner like a chair with a short leg. If it rocks your forks are Tweaked. If it lays flat without much movement (less than a 1/16") your done.

OK the forks are Tweaked.

With the bike on the center stand and the front wheel propped off the ground. Loosen all
the Triple clam pinch bolts, the top center cap nut. and the Axel and the Axel pinch bolts. Don't remove any of them just get them loose.

Check if your fork tube are bent by twisting them in the triples. they should turn freely. if they move a little then bind they might be bent.

Now rock the tubes as above, Hold the front wheel with your knees and twist the bars till the plate Don't rock.

Now gradually tighten all the bolts a little at a time as you keep checking the "Rocker" till all are properly torqued.

Your done, your front end will love you for it.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2015, 11:00 PM   #3
yogurtpooh
ninjette.org member

yeah, thanks for the reply, that sounds a little bit complicated for me because I don't have any proper tools or a stand. I'll try to take it to another shop. The bike rides very straight but my arms just aren't straight.

i also noticed that my rear bolts are definitely not even. The left side seems a lot longer than the right side. Any thoughts on this?

pictures below:
Thanks

Old April 18th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Isn't it missing a locknut on both sides?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2015, 11:15 AM   #5
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

As long as the wheel itself it straight, don't worry about the bolts.
@Alex, good catch, on the locknuts, I'm also gonna guess the washers as missing as well

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...ARM/parts.html

@yogurtpooh you need to correct this, and inspect the rest of the bike, no telling what else might be wrong.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old April 19th, 2015, 08:44 PM   #6
yogurtpooh
ninjette.org member

what locking nut are you guys talking about? is it the part number 92022?
I don't have a kawasaki dealership where I am living (in Vietnam) what should I do about this?

Old April 19th, 2015, 08:58 PM   #7
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogurtpooh View Post
what locking nut are you guys talking about? is it the part number 92022?
I don't have a kawasaki dealership where I am living (in Vietnam) what should I do about this?
Talking about the whole piece, part# 92015, 92015A , 92022, good thing they are common metric sizes, so any hardware store should have them.

Below shows you the sizes needed

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-04-19-22-53-52.jpg (49.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-04-19-22-54-29.jpg (47.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-04-19-23-04-29.jpg (45.4 KB, 5 views)

ZX-2R BLOG

Old April 19th, 2015, 09:25 PM   #8
yogurtpooh
ninjette.org member

okay. thank you Ghost. I will go to my mechanic and tell him to install a washer and another bolt. thanks.

Old April 19th, 2015, 09:27 PM   #9
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
okay. thank you Ghost. I will go to my mechanic and tell him to install a washer and another bolt. thanks.
Cool, good to hear that, BTW it's a lock washer, and the lock nut.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old April 20th, 2015, 12:25 AM   #10
yogurtpooh
ninjette.org member

so what I have on there now is not a lock nut? What kind of nut do I have on there now? would the lock nut go over that or would I have to remove that nut first?

Old April 20th, 2015, 12:46 AM   #11
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
so what I have on there now is not a lock nut? What kind of nut do I have on there now? would the lock nut go over that or would I have to remove that nut first?
There should be a lock washer, followed by 2 nuts. As is looks in the parts picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-04-19-23-04-29.jpg (45.4 KB, 3 views)

ZX-2R BLOG

Old July 20th, 2015, 03:44 AM   #12
cspmoneymaker
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Samphy

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 300

Unhappy

Quote:
hey, my front fork seals were both leaking oil and I had a shop fix them.
the ride is great now, so much better than before. However, my handle bars seems to be leaning to the right slightly and my throttle is close to my arm creating an uneven arm posture. I took it back to the shop, they tested it for a day and adjusted it, and then it's still off exactly like nothing happened. I took it to another shop and they adjusted it too and it's better but still not directly in the middle. So my question is, are the handle bars supposed to be in the middle like in the first picture? my fairings are all crooked and stuff from a couple of drops. The second picture shows that I have to lean the handle bar to a slight bit to the right to go straight. but when it does go straight, it's very straight. Also, my roads all pretty much lean to the right- does that have much of an effect on the way the handle bars should be?
Any ideas? this is a big problem because four different mechanics have tested it and they all say it's fine. but I know it feels weird. [/IMG]
First of, sorry for bumping an old thread guys...

I'm having the exact same problem ! Thanks god I'm not the only one & can finally make sure I'm not crazy or have uneven arms...

So have you gotten the handlebar problem fixed yet ? If yes, then how... the whole thread was getting too complicated, thanks in advance for any response !
cspmoneymaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2015, 06:30 AM   #13
yogurtpooh
ninjette.org member

No. So many people - including at least 5 or more mechanics, 5 regular people have test drove it and said it's fine. None of them ride sportsbikes however.

It still feels really bent to me and uncomfortable. I'm probably gonna buy a grom soon. I never take the ninja faster than 60 kilometers an hour where I live though to be honest...

Old July 26th, 2015, 08:40 PM   #14
cspmoneymaker
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Samphy

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 300

Unhappy

Quote:
No. So many people - including at least 5 or more mechanics, 5 regular people have test drove it and said it's fine. None of them ride sportsbikes however.

It still feels really bent to me and uncomfortable. I'm probably gonna buy a grom soon. I never take the ninja faster than 60 kilometers an hour where I live though to be honest...
Ah, that is suck to know... The feels are strong with this one, I got the exact same problem bro ! Everyone keeps saying it's fine but deep down inside I know it's not... Even starting to doubt myself now, do I have uneven arms or what ? I'm just trying to get used to it now, thanks for the response mate !
cspmoneymaker is offline   Reply With Quote