ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old June 5th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #41
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

i think leading a 250 ride would be fun.
I been riding upstate since the '70's so I know the secondary roads.
If we can get a crew who will commit to 8-10 hours I can seriously promise safe twisties, WOT stretches with almost no enforcement, hard packed dirt, mountain roads thru pre-revolutionary mining areas, TT roads that would make a Brit envious. These are roads i ride now because they're suited to the ninjette and if there are inexperienced riders....these are roads where you can teach yourself to use the 250 like it was meant to be used.
Only 1 thing....we have to ride about 70 miles up the taconic to get to the area so everyone has to be comfy travelling at 70+ for the ride up.
Like i said...I go north every weekend so if it's not gonna be a group thing if one or 2 experienced riders wanted to go that's OK too....but i ride a long day...on my own, 10-12 hours, 400 miles +. I'm an old guy so I take care not to lead people with limited experience into difficult positions. Experienced riders....yeah....you'll get to test yourself. If not this saturday...next or whenever
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #42
kraazy
We need 1.21Gigawatts now

Name: KrAaZy

Motorcycle(s): 1Badazz2fiddy,ZRV 500

12pm mount up, what u think? Brooklyn/queens members should trek across to city together .
kraazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #43
kraazy

this is looking like a good group so far ,can u meet up with me and urban ninja?

Old June 5th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #44
eddiekay

Sheeeet...I just posted a reply and dont know where it went.
OK...so that gives it up...I'm an old man. Yeah F_U.
What I said was...in short....if you can put together a crew who will commit to 8-10 hours, around 350+ miles...I'd be happy to show you roads that are perfectly suited to the ninjette. All easily passable, all safe, all with little enforcement. 301 is well known...but the roads north of it are super twisty little snakes where you can whomp a litre bike on your 250. Fahenstock park is a hard packed ride thru the forest with waterfalls, mountain tops, lakes and abandoned mines. Peekskill Hollow Road, Oscawanna Heights Road are all cruise roads or race tracks depending on what you want to do.
218 is well known as is 9G for the super fast bikes ( road is now havily enforced) but there are ninjette roads like Mine dock and some roads i cant rememeber the name of where a small bike works best. If you've only ridden in the city...I can promise you that westchester-putnam-dutchess-orange counties will be heaven. Better yet,,,,if you're thinking that soemday you'll upgrade to a 600 or litre...these roads will show you why you dont need to.

Old June 5th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #45
kraazy

CAN U MEET US @ STARBUCKS 11am?

there is a great meet up location in BK for tunnel:
LI/QUEENS/BROOKLYN MEMBERS OR WHOMEVER:
12pm
Ikea Brooklyn (lot)
1 Beard Street, Brooklyn, NY

for northern members joining the ride.
and manhattan:
underneath highway(parking area)near seaport.near fulton and beekman st
fdr 23rd st exit theres a gulf station near piers for fillup.

as far as the bridges...its ridiculous with the construction all stop and go.take it every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmason718 View Post
Before I let other ppl know lets come up with a time and meeting point for Sat. I'm in queens where are the rest of you guys/gals coming from?

Old June 5th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #46
fizzer914
ninjette.org member

Name: paul

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 se

i dont know where any of that sh!t in the city is. Looks like ima have to fabricate a gps mount b-4 then
fizzer914 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2012, 07:09 AM   #47
nycsteve
Biker

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzer914 View Post
i dont know where any of that sh!t in the city is. Looks like ima have to fabricate a gps mount b-4 then
Do you know the FDR drive or Westside highway/Harlem river drive?Just take anything that goes south, you can easily reach the Manhattan point from any of these.
nycsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2012, 07:24 AM   #48
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

What's up everyone? Late addition to the group. I'm out in Westchester, White Plains to be exact. I'd love to join you guys for some rides though I don't think I'm in for this weekend. I don't particularly enjoy city riding. No offense you guys seem like lovely people

@eddiekay - I'm with you. I've lived in northern westchester and frequented most of those roads by car so I know those are great routes. If there are any rides heading north out of the city I'd be interested in joining. I'll keep in touch.

FYI - This is my first season of riding. I bought my ninjette in Feb and put a little over 3500 miles on it in 3 months before picking up my SV650. So I've got ~5000 miles of saddle time. I commute everyday on my bike 60 miles roundtrip interstate/twisties to Conn. I'm comfortable riding hard but generally prefer a moderately aggressive pace on scenic country roads. And I'm a Taurus and I enjoy sunsets and long walks on the beach...
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #49
nycsteve
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
What I said was...in short....if you can put together a crew who will commit to 8-10 hours, around 350+ miles...I'd be happy to show you roads that are perfectly suited to the ninjette. All easily passable, all safe, all with little enforcement. 301 is well known...but the roads north of it are super twisty little snakes where you can whomp a litre bike on your 250. Fahenstock park is a hard packed ride thru the forest with waterfalls, mountain tops, lakes and abandoned mines. Peekskill Hollow Road, Oscawanna Heights Road are all cruise roads or race tracks depending on what you want to do.
218 is well known as is 9G for the super fast bikes ( road is now havily enforced) but there are ninjette roads like Mine dock and some roads i cant rememeber the name of where a small bike works best. If you've only ridden in the city...I can promise you that westchester-putnam-dutchess-orange counties will be heaven. Better yet,,,,if you're thinking that soemday you'll upgrade to a 600 or litre...these roads will show you why you dont need to.
yes you are an...... jk!

I can't wait to go on one of these runs! I'm def down for one of these 10 hour days. I've been meaning to do this as a warm up to some long distance riding. I hope to do a very long trip before the end of this season, so this will be an ok measurement to how long I can ride in one day. How about we save this for 2-3 weeks from now?

Back on to the current ride, kraazy, your idea sounds good. The main eastern meetup spot will be the Ikea parking lot in brooklyn at 12pm. You guys can get together at other spots before then, I'll leave that up to ya.

For the northern folks and the rest, can you guys suggest/post a regional spot for yourselves, then travel to the main spot?

Time: 1pm saturday.
Place(not set): fdr 23rd st exit theres a gulf station

Old June 6th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #50
nycsteve
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNinja8 View Post
What's up everyone? Late addition to the group. I'm out in Westchester, White Plains to be exact. I'd love to join you guys for some rides though I don't think I'm in for this weekend. I don't particularly enjoy city riding. No offense you guys seem like lovely people

@eddiekay - I'm with you. I've lived in northern westchester and frequented most of those roads by car so I know those are great routes. If there are any rides heading north out of the city I'd be interested in joining. I'll keep in touch.

FYI - This is my first season of riding. I bought my ninjette in Feb and put a little over 3500 miles on it in 3 months before picking up my SV650. So I've got ~5000 miles of saddle time. I commute everyday on my bike 60 miles roundtrip interstate/twisties to Conn. I'm comfortable riding hard but generally prefer a moderately aggressive pace on scenic country roads. And I'm a Taurus and I enjoy sunsets and long walks on the beach...
Nice to have ya

I hope to do one of the rides eddie suggested not too long from now! Has soon as this ride is over, maybe you and eddie can map out one of these and post it up for everyone to mull over.

On a side note: hows that SV650? I'm kinda like you in that I've only been riding since Jan but want an additional bigger bike. I've put about 3000 miles only but would like a larger bike for when I visit family in northern Ct and Pa. I was thinking something like the ninja 650/SV650/gixxer 650/r6 in that order.

Old June 6th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #51
RaZeDaHeLL
The Black Widow

Name: Eva

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

I'm in Brooklyn but working Sunday

Old June 6th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #52
nycsteve
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZeDaHeLL View Post
This is actually scheduled for Saturday (I know, terrible traffic but whatever lol). If you can't make it anyway, please continue to check this thread as we will be posting some really good group rides soon and often I hope.

Old June 6th, 2012, 08:22 AM   #53
Brooklyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Tricia

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I'll be at the Ikea parking lot at noon Saturday. Look forward to meeting you guys.
Brooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #54
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
On a side note: hows that SV650? I'm kinda like you in that I've only been riding since Jan but want an additional bigger bike. I've put about 3000 miles only but would like a larger bike for when I visit family in northern Ct and Pa. I was thinking something like the ninja 650/SV650/gixxer 650/r6 in that order.
I love the SV so far. It is very torquey and the power is all useable. Best of all improvements over the ninjette has been the highway riding. I can cruise at 75-80 at low rpms with little to no buffeting from the wind. Almost feels as smooth and stable as driving my car at that speed. With little effort, I'm at 60 in 3rd at the top of the on ramp, and seconds later I'm at 75-80 in the left lane in 4th or 5th. I've tested higher speeds and the bike will easily accelerate from 80 to 110 in 5th and acceleration slows but continues steadily to 120+ where it starts to feel uncomfortable to me. Off the interstate I can use the bike for its intended purpose without obsenely exceeding speed limits. Since this bike is about low range torque over high rpms, I pull away easily from the lights and accelerate safely through and past traffic without the feeling that I am racing like I feel on the ninjette.

TORQUE FOR DAYS!!! Bike pulls hard even at 3k rpms. If I apply a generous amount of throttle in 2nd-4th gear I'm hanging on tight to the bars. Downside though is it does fall on its face at high rpms. I think the redline is 12k and it losses steam around 10. I've hit the limiter several times already and never hit it on my ninja. So whereas my ninjette is good at 6k, great at 8k, strong at 10k, and has a little left at 11k, the SV is a beast 4k-8k, losing steam by 10k and dead at 12k. It kind of feels like a cruiser in a sportbike body in that regard. In terms of handling it feels very similar to the ninja and requires no concious effort to corner. I'm a better rider on the SV because of the riding position so my cornering has actually improved. I feel like i'm sitting on top of my ninjette whereas on the SV the higher tank and forward pitch makes me feel like I'm more a part of the bike than just a passenger. Overall, this is a very easy bike to ride and a seemless transition from the ninjette.

Old June 6th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #55
nycsteve
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
I'll be at the Ikea parking lot at noon Saturday. Look forward to meeting you guys.
Cool, see ya there!

Quote:
So eddie, will you be joining us on Saturday?

Quote:
I love the SV so far. It is very torquey and the power is all useable. Best of all improvements over the ninjette has been the highway riding. I can cruise at 75-80 at low rpms with little to no buffeting from the wind. Almost feels as smooth and stable as driving my car at that speed. With little effort, I'm at 60 in 3rd at the top of the on ramp, and seconds later I'm at 75-80 in the left lane in 4th or 5th. I've tested higher speeds and the bike will easily accelerate from 80 to 110 in 5th and acceleration slows but continues steadily to 120+ where it starts to feel uncomfortable to me. Off the interstate I can use the bike for its intended purpose without obsenely exceeding speed limits. Since this bike is about low range torque over high rpms, I pull away easily from the lights and accelerate safely through and past traffic without the feeling that I am racing like I feel on the ninjette.

TORQUE FOR DAYS!!! Bike pulls hard even at 3k rpms. If I apply a generous amount of throttle in 2nd-4th gear I'm hanging on tight to the bars. Downside though is it does fall on its face at high rpms. I think the redline is 12k and it losses steam around 10. I've hit the limiter several times already and never hit it on my ninja. So whereas my ninjette is good at 6k, great at 8k, strong at 10k, and has a little left at 11k, the SV is a beast 4k-8k, losing steam by 10k and dead at 12k. It kind of feels like a cruiser in a sportbike body in that regard. In terms of handling it feels very similar to the ninja and requires no concious effort to corner. I'm a better rider on the SV because of the riding position so my cornering has actually improved. I feel like i'm sitting on top of my ninjette whereas on the SV the higher tank and forward pitch makes me feel like I'm more a part of the bike than just a passenger. Overall, this is a very easy bike to ride and a seemless transition from the ninjette.
Sounds pretty good. Thanks for the input.

Old June 6th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #56
fizzer914
ninjette.org member

Quote:

yooooo im in harrison

Old June 6th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #57
eddiekay

it's good to see a bunch of guys going saturday. Tried to raise some rides over the last year and got no one really into it. For me...a city ride is just not long enough a day so i wouldnt show....the only thing I can think of in the city is the battery tunnel...knee drag tunnel....sometimes water a few hundred feet in from the west side but still fun.
When any of you want to try something...full day ride....PM me or something because I always go out saturdays and always 300+ miles. Delawre River run is very easy...thats a bit uinder 300.
BTW...this ride....you got to take pix...

Old June 6th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #58
urbaninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Santana

Motorcycle(s): 2010 kawasaki 250r, 2009 Yamaha FZ6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraazy View Post
starbucks it is urbaninja! any one else..
cool what time?
urbaninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #59
nycsteve
Biker

Quote:
it's good to see a bunch of guys going saturday. Tried to raise some rides over the last year and got no one really into it. For me...a city ride is just not long enough a day so i wouldnt show....the only thing I can think of in the city is the battery tunnel...knee drag tunnel....sometimes water a few hundred feet in from the west side but still fun.
When any of you want to try something...full day ride....PM me or something because I always go out saturdays and always 300+ miles. Delawre River run is very easy...thats a bit uinder 300.
I do like the fact that you ride only for them longer distance rides. I'll ride with a group anywhere/anytime at this point. Might be because I'm new to motorcycling and it hasn't worn off me yet.And I want to do this just to get people together in this city/area. As new yorkers, we normally treat each other like the cagers do, "you stay outta my way and i'll stay out of yours". I'm trying to break that with us 2fiddys; we need to stick together lol.

Ohhhhh, we def taking pics.

Old June 6th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #60
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Like I said I'm with you...well sort of. I could maybe do a half day ride but with 2 babies and a wife that's the best I got. My wife would literally set fire to by bike when I return home from a full day ride Maybe we could try to next set up a hudson valley ride for next weekend setting out early am.

Old June 7th, 2012, 03:18 AM   #61
fizzer914
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Like I said I'm with you...well sort of. I could maybe do a half day ride but with 2 babies and a wife that's the best I got. My wife would literally set fire to by bike when I return home from a full day ride Maybe we could try to next set up a hudson valley ride for next weekend setting out early am.
im with that i know these roads

Old June 7th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #62
kraazy

Gulf station great for main meet up gas and parking!!
Crossbay people Or who ever,meet u at Starbucks
At 1100.
I dug up two events going on in city if we all agree.
The first one. Great I been here two years ago lotta food and festivities can get alittle crowded but we don't have to stay long.
2 nd one I never been too but heard its good also celebrity sightings possible then again it's the city, maybe lunch ,who knows?
We will talk More when we get together. Here are some details:

1) The 116th street festival
159 east 116 th st( if u didnt know)
New York,ny 10029
It's like a before celebration of the puerto rican day parade , concerts, food, rides. And bazaar of merchandise all things puerto rican

2) Big apple BBQ block party
5th ave and east 23rd street
Flatiron district
Pit masters from NYC, Alabama, mass, sc, and many other locations descending Madison park for lip smacking eats with live jazz,bluegrass and R+B music.

Ok.... My thumbs are numb can't type anymore , gurggle it if u want to no more.. Lol

Old June 7th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #63
kraazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbaninja View Post
cool what time?
11:00 cool

Old June 7th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #64
nycsteve
Biker

Great find. and thanks for posting.

I don't think I can choose between the two! Both sound great (I'm puerto rican, so that's saying something!). We'll decide when we meet up.

Saturday is starting to look real good!

Quote:
Gulf station great for main meet up gas and parking!!
Crossbay people Or who ever,meet u at Starbucks
At 1100.
I dug up two events going on in city if we all agree.
The first one. Great I been here two years ago lotta food and festivities can get alittle crowded but we don't have to stay long.
2 nd one I never been too but heard its good also celebrity sightings possible then again it's the city, maybe lunch ,who knows?
We will talk More when we get together. Here are some details:

1) The 116th street festival
159 east 116 th st( if u didnt know)
New York,ny 10029
It's like a before celebration of the puerto rican day parade , concerts, food, rides. And bazaar of merchandise all things puerto rican

2) Big apple BBQ block party
5th ave and east 23rd street
Flatiron district
Pit masters from NYC, Alabama, mass, sc, and many other locations descending Madison park for lip smacking eats with live jazz,bluegrass and R+B music.

Ok.... My thumbs are numb can't type anymore , gurggle it if u want to no more.. Lol

Old June 7th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #65
kraazy

Northern members should check in for main meet up location so we know who we are waiting for, or if we even have to wait for anyone?

Iam posting this below to protect all of us who have given input and suggestions to this group ride. I want all of us to have fun and safe riding trips now and in the future! I'm sure everyone will agree:

Motorcycle Meetup Group Disclaimer:

By participating, you are acknowledging that riding/participating is ENTIRELY at your own risk. You agree to ride safely. Each member participates in activities solely by choice and participation itself relinquishes any responsibility of the above Motorcycle Meetup Group as an organization, and any of its Members, personally and jointly for any and all liabilities resulting in participation in any group related event or activity. All activities and events must comply with any and all state or local laws and ordinances. Any personal injury or property damage resulting from or during a group activity or at any time, becomes the responsibility of the individual parties involved, and at no time shall the meet up group or its Members(s) be held liable. the meet up group reserves the right to Accept members and reject Unruly, unsafe, non-law abiding members periodically, and without notice, revise or amend rules and regulations where necessary. You have been advised to wear a helmet at all times.

If you can agree to all of the above, Mount up !! and lets ride.

Old June 7th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #66
pmason718
ninjette.org member

Name: Prince

Motorcycle(s): ZX10R

Quote:
Guys we usually meet up in Astoria park when we have group rides. I figured we could meet there at 1230 and hit up one or two of the festivals. Lets take a poll on the meeting locations and make it final by tomorrow this way we don't confuse anyone. Let's start by announcing who we have and there location bc it doesn't make sense to meet in Staten Island if we're all in Brooklyn or Queens. Then from there we choose a meeting location and decide if we're going to keep it local or head upstate

PS I would like to come up with a final meeting location ASAP so that I can notify members of the other forums
pmason718 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #67
pmason718
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Are you coming out Sat

Old June 7th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #68
nycsteve
Biker

Quote:
Guys we usually meet up in Astoria park when we have group rides. I figured we could meet there at 1230 and hit up one or two of the festivals. Lets take a poll on the meeting locations and make it final by tomorrow this way we don't confuse anyone. Let's start by announcing who we have and there location bc it doesn't make sense to meet in Staten Island if we're all in Brooklyn or Queens. Then from there we choose a meeting location and decide if we're going to keep it local or head upstate
At that time on Saturday, I'm more likely to meet up in the Ikea spot. I know Brooklyn will be there too unless she changes her mind. Whoever is in queens and wishes to meet there before 1pm is fine. I still feel that the Main point should be Manhattan because of the other members already in or close to the city, but this is a group thing and hope we can all come to a conclusion by tomorrow

With that said, start one as that will hopefully give us a good indication of where people are at and where they want to meet.

Old June 7th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #69
pmason718
ninjette.org member

Guys/Gals lets me up at the IKEA in Brooklyn on Sat at 1230. The address is below. If your going please post that you will make it in this thread and PM your number. I want to get the location final so I can let other ppl know that are not members of this forum.

IKEA
12:30pm

Old June 7th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #70
Brooklyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Tricia

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I'll be there.
Brooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #71
pmason718
ninjette.org member

guys/Gals I'm making IEKA the official meeting location. If you cant make it at this time or will like to meet up with us a lil later PM your number or I can PM you mines so you can get in touch with us and see where we're at. So far we have 3

NYC Steve
Pmason (me)
Brooklyn

Old June 7th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #72
RedNinja21
ninjette.org member

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Hey guys, I'm busy this weekend. But, next Saturday is looking good if there's gonna be another group ride.

I'm coming from NJ, but I grew up in Queens all my life and now working in Bklyn. So, I know the city pretty well. I guess I'll wait until next week to discuss next weekend.

Remember to post lots of pics. Gear up and ride safe.

Old June 7th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #73
kraazy

Quote:
Guys/Gals lets me up at the IKEA in Brooklyn on Sat at 1230. The address is below. If your going please post that you will make it in this thread and PM your number. I want to get the location final so I can let other ppl know that are not members of this forum.

IKEA
Ill be there !

Old June 7th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #74
kraazy

fizzer914 u coming?

Old June 7th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #75
pmason718
ninjette.org member

I'll be there. I just PM'd a few my number just in case I'm a lil late. I figure we get there at 12:30 and give ppl 30 mins to 45 mins to get there just in case there is traffic or some other hiccup for some reason

Old June 7th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #76
fizzer914
ninjette.org member

Quote:
fizzer914 u coming?
hell yea i might b with only 1 of my boys
how do i go from 95??

Old June 7th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #77
fizzer914
ninjette.org member

Quote:

IKEA
is this it??

Old June 7th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #78
nycsteve
Biker

UPDATED

Note:
We're waiting on urban and anyone else. As far as everyone who will/want to go on a true first run next weekend (June 16-17), PM eddiekay and have him start a new thread. He has some pretty good roads and experience under his belt and maybe you guys can start mapping /planning something out together. Post in this thread with the link to the new one if possible.

Quote:
guys/Gals I'm making IEKA the official meeting location. If you cant make it at this time or will like to meet up with us a lil later PM your number or I can PM you mines so you can get in touch with us and see where we're at. So far we have 5+:

NYC Steve
Pmason (me)+
Brooklyn
kraazy
fizzer914+

Old June 7th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #79
nycsteve
Biker

Quote:
is this it??
Yes! Thats the main spot. If you don't want to meet there you can PM pmason to exchange numbers so that you can meet with us at one of the other spots/festivities. I think but not sure if we are going to go to the gulf gas station @23rd street.

Quote:
hell yea i might b with only 1 of my boys
how do i go from 95??
If you want to go to BK for the heck of it, take the toll free route here: link

Old June 7th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #80
pmason718
ninjette.org member

Quote: